Sign our open letter to the Prime Minister — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sign our open letter to the Prime Minister

Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
edited August 2020 in Research and opportunities
An image of a young man overlayed with the text Sign our open letter to the Prime Minister and We wont be forgottenb

We won't be forgotten

1 in 4 disabled people feel forgotten by the government right now. So we're putting a spotlight on the serious issues disabled people are facing. Too often disabled people are the last to be thought of. But disabled people do not have the luxury of forgetting the everyday risks and challenges that coronavirus presents.

We are calling on the Prime Minister to not forget disability equality as lockdown is eased and the economy starts to recover. We need a clear plan from government on how they will protect disabled people's rights and needs through the pandemic and beyond.

Please join us in saying disabled people won't be forgotten. Sign our open letter to the PM.
Community Manager
Scope
Tagged:

Comments

• IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    I’m on Universal Credit since my redundancy from supermarket retailing in September 2019 after 17 years at age 49, undiagnosed Aspergers and although going on courses during lockdown to improve my CV and interview skills, I’m finding the jobsearch more difficult than ever, even for essential service jobs, as there are now far more applicants for far less vacancies despite impressions and insistence otherwise, including by JCP and DWP, frightened of the sanctions regime - mentally, living alone, I’m not coping well at all with this situation, only sustained by my Catholic Faith, but still becoming more anxious and depressed and it has become much more difficult in recent weeks to remain positive - added to this, due to Irish government travel restrictions, I cannot return home to my family in the Republic of Ireland for my 50th birthday in 2020 - I’m still actively looking for work and applying to suitable jobs where possible (despite tech issues with some job websites that sometimes force you to abandon a job application half way through if you can’t find a workaround) even temp, part time fixed term contract, etc, but this is becoming impossible - I’m a lot changed as person compared to what I once was before lockdown, even before my redundancy and am rapidly becoming unemployable if this continues any longer 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Signed & shared. :)
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,620 Disability Gamechanger
  • JaneCambs
    JaneCambs Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Signed. I wrote to my local authority this week. They had given the my sons school a general risk assessment for my son and covid19 for Septembers return to school plan. I wrote them my risk assessment as theirs didn’t cater to my sons problems and vulnerability. I am sick of us feeling invisible to the point they are willing to place vulnerable people at great risk.   
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Signed !
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Iv been told that food for the disabled elderly has been stopped from last monday.
    They said there wasnt enough food for everyone so the disabled elderly's food has been stopped.
    I dont think this is fair. 
    Dose anyone know of any disabled elderly people who are still getting a food parcel and how often
  • IrishManc
    IrishManc Community member Posts: 54 Courageous
    Misscleo said:
    Iv been told that food for the disabled elderly has been stopped from last monday.
    They said there wasnt enough food for everyone so the disabled elderly's food has been stopped.
    I dont think this is fair. 
    Dose anyone know of any disabled elderly people who are still getting a food parcel and how often
    This does need to be reported and flagged up somewhere - this is totally unacceptable and is an affront to human dignity - it does tie in with some things that I’ve seen online and even though I don’t normally entertain conspiracy theories, I’m really beginning to wonder if events are starting to take a sinister turn at this point in the Covid 19 saga 
  • davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    yes I have signed previously 
  • WorldsoldestNEET
    WorldsoldestNEET Posts: 42 Listener
    Not going to bother. He doesn't care and you're deluded if you think otherwise.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.