Trying to find a good care home in London - help please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to find a good care home in London - help please

Options
AK99
AK99 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi there,
I am trying to look for a good care home for my 34 year old brother in law. He is disabled and an epileptic. He has the personality of a 5 year old so can understand most things. My in-laws are now really old and finding it really difficult to look after him. Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on care homes for somebody like him? His epilpesy is generally well controlled but he has jerks and fits every few weeks. This is why we need help as when he has fits sometimes he can get a bit aggressive and as my inlaws are old they are at a risk of getting hurt. We have been googling to try find homes local to us - harrow - but can't seem to find anything. Any help would be amazing - appreciate any advice. We deeply care for him so only want to send him to somewhere where we know he will be well looked after - happy to pay for a better place too if needs be. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AK99

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of a team of Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got some senior members here & I will forward your post onto them.

Hi @Richard_Scope
    @Adrian_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post as they are looking  for a “Care Home” in there local area.

Thanks.

@steve51

• AK99
    Options
     Thank you Steve I look forward to their responses! 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi AK99

No probs my friend.

I have got another good friend who maybe able to offer you some help.

Hi @poppy123456

Please please I do hope that you can offer me some help with this post?????

Many Thanks

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community, I am sorry I dont know direct answer to your question but have you spoken to a GP or social services tyo see where they would recommend, just an idea
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm afraid i have no advice for you on this. All i can say is i agree with janer, please speak to social services.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @AK99 - & welcome to the community from me too. Unfortunately most care homes are for people aged 60+, as you've probably found. Whilst I certainly can't vouch for them, I did find some possibilities online. Please see: http://www.housingcare.org/housing-care/results.aspx?atc=4,5&lst=re&ct=&cn=&kw=Harrow&kwt=1&kwl=1&stp=9&sm=8&vm=list&rp=10&page=1
    Look at the first one, Wilsmere House Care Home, & Karuna Manor on the 2nd page. Both seem to also cater for others not necessarily in the 60+ bracket.
    Local advice would also seem most helpful as Jane has mentioned; your brother- in-law's GP/social services.

• AK99
    Options
    Hi all thank you for all your responses! I’ve checked the link you sent @chiaraeds thanks this has been super helpful!
    Unfortunately his gps aren’t great but il definitely look into asking social services. 
    Any other suggestions on who we could ask too?
    Again so grateful for all your responses x
  • christian96
    christian96 Posts: 101 Courageous
    Options
    Hello and welcome @AK99!

I really recommend this website https://www.carehome.co.uk/. It has lots of information and checklists of good questions to ask. I also strongly recommend visiting all local care homes to see what it is like. Talk to staff and families. Take a notepad and pen with you on the day too. Make notes as you walk around asking questions. Trust your gut feeling. What does it say? If possible ask to see a copy of the visitor policy etc. 

Brightness