Share your favourite books - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Share your favourite books

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Ronni said:
    @JadeB90. Love the Bones tv series didnt read the books.
    Thinking of getting and ebooks reader or tablet. Eye sight not to good havent read in a while. Thought with them might allow enlarge text. Miss reading.
    @Ronni, I too stopped reading a my sight deteriorated. Despite my love for actual books, I love my kindle and it has allowed me to read again! I can't imagine going back now. Also, I bought mine second hand to save money, works perfectly! 
    Scope

• gaz1960
    gaz1960 Community member Posts: 292 Pioneering
    Agatha Christie books great,especially when turned to film with Margaret Rutherford. 

New authors trying.

Seem ok. 

Stuart McBride. 

Steve Cavanagh.

Chris Carter. 

Andrew Grant. 

Lee Weeks. 
  • Ronni
    Ronni Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope. I've been looking. At larger ones. Trying to figure the differences between a kindle and kindle fire some are ebooks some do more. Im so of of date old school. But one will accept 
    The NGT
    Minicom alternative.downliad. Trying up grade communication stuff.  

@gaz1960 I remember the old versions.
    With Margaret furthered. Old school.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ronni, the Kindle Fire is a tablet that allows apps as well as a reading device. The kindle will just let you access the kindle store and read books. :)

I have the Kindle Paperwhite which is lighter but not much difference. 

Scope

• HunrerHenners
    HunrerHenners Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    My absolute favourite book is 1984 by George Orwell. Amazing read!
  • Hayls20
    Hayls20 Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    Just curious to know if anyone has read “This is not a love scene”? Very rare to find fiction with disabled YAs!
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    I haven't but thank you for the recommendation @Hayls20
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Emily_Emz33
    Emily_Emz33 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Hi everyone. I'm such a book worm, I read at every chance I get and I cant sleep at night if I've not read my book for an hour or so ? 

Lockdown hasn't been any different for me to be honest because I cant go out much anyway so I guess its not effected me too much. Its just frustrating know even the option to be taken out has been taken away so my reading time has been the same really. But I read a lot ??

I wanted to let you know about the latest book I've just finished...and so quickly because I just couldn't put it down. Its such a page turner...Peter May 'The Silent Death' Its fast paced, and you always want to know what happens next. So if you like a good crime book then this is definitely one for you ? 
    Emily 
  • gaz1960
    Coffin Road by Peter May was a good read,as was The Lewis Man. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Thanks for the recommendation both! Can't say I've ever read anything from Peter May before.

@Emily_Emz33: what's next on your list?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I like this book too. I first read an extract from it during a school exam and then I went to find the whole book to read it. I agree it is a really good book but quite sad. I also like his book Animal Farm. :)
  • gaz1960
    66Mustang said:
    I like this book too. I first read an extract from it during a school exam and then I went to find the whole book to read it. I agree it is a really good book but quite sad. I also like his book Animal Farm. :)
    Oh,God. So many on here actually remember doing the George Orwell books as exams? 

And there was me thinking i was old! Lol. ;)  
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    gaz1960 said:
    66Mustang said:
    Oh,God. So many on here actually remember doing the George Orwell books as exams? 

And there was me thinking i was old! Lol. ;)  
    Hehehe :D
  • HunrerHenners
    Animal Farm is a great read as well! 1984 though is my favourite. Its amazing that so much of the book is like a glimpse almost into our present day
  • gaz1960
    Can still remember what my English teacher put as my exam results about 1984 and Animal Farm. 

:/

Guess my interpretation was too true to what has actually happened! 

She said it was just too much fiction! OMG ! 

• HunrerHenners
  • Emily_Emz33
    Emily_Emz33 Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    @Adrian_Scope Anything by Peter May is a great read, definitely recommended author.
    I've Just finished normal people....so many were banging on about it so had to jump on the band wagon ? Now however I am reading Ollie Ollertons 'Battle Ready' I'm guessing u know the one from SAS? Its an interesting read and actually gives u ways of looking at ur life right now and making those changes youve been putting off etc...after that it'll be book 5 of the Outlander series! Love it! 
    Emily 
  • CJ61
    CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    Still Alice by Lisa Genova.
    It's about a highly respected lady professor of linguistics contracting Early Onset Dementia. They made this into a film which was rubbish!

On a lighter note
    The Spenser series by Robert B Parker.
    A Private Investigator in Boston. 

The Colour of Law by Mark Giminez.

I read 'easy reads' like James Patterson, Michael Connolly, Lynda La Plante, John Grisham and my favourite is Peter James as i live near where his novels are set and I recognise all the places he writes about.
    I read about 5 books a week. Thank goodness for Ebay.
    Never read real literature. Bit beyond me.

• gaz1960
    CJ61 said:
    Still Alice by Lisa Genova.
    It's about a highly respected lady professor of linguistics contracting Early Onset Dementia. They made this into a film which was rubbish!

On a lighter note
    The Spenser series by Robert B Parker.
    A Private Investigator in Boston. 

The Colour of Law by Mark Giminez.

I read 'easy reads' like James Patterson, Michael Connolly, Lynda La Plante, John Grisham and my favourite is Peter James as i live near where his novels are set and I recognise all the places he writes about.
    I read about 5 books a week. Thank goodness for Ebay.
    Never read real literature. Bit beyond me.

Just finished reading his latest book, Find Them Dead,DS Roy Grace. Read all his books, i live near where one of his book was set,name change of the village,Polesworth  to Polesford. Michael Connelly, great writer,Harry Bosch series. Read all his books,and all James Patterson.  

If anyone is interested in books,there's a great place to visit. 
    Astley book farm, near Nuneaton.  
    I went for the first time on the day they reopened after lockdown.  

Place is a goldmine for books. 
    Prices are good,average £2 -£3 per book,even hardbacks. 

And they have a great cafe. :) 

http://www.astleybookfarm.com

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Ghost in the machine by Arthur Koestler. Non fiction.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness