Hi, my name is David Hiley! - I am permanently disabled from a stroke — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is David Hiley! - I am permanently disabled from a stroke

Davehiley
Davehiley Community member Posts: 3 Listener

My name is Judy Green and I am writing from Australia.  My partner is a 63 year old British man who left the UK about 15 years ago.

He obtained New Zealand citizenship about 13 years ago , and whilst living in New Zealand, about 9 years ago he suffered a stroke which left him permanently disabled.  He is now living in Australia for the past 5 years.

I am trying to find out if he qualifies for British PPI or other disability grants, I have exhausted all other avenues of finding out if he does qualify.

I really appreciate any assistance or advise you can offer.

Judy and Dave

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Davehiley

Good Morning it’s great to meet you today.

I hope everything is okay today in Australia ?? ??

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Yes I also had a Stroke in 1998 at the age off 32.

I will forward your post onto our team of  senior members for you.

Hi @Richard_Scope @Adrian_Scope @Chloe_Scope

Can you please offer me some help with this post as they live in Australia ????

Please please let me know you have any further problems???

@steve51

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community. Hope its nice there presently.

I am not 100% sure but I dont think you can claim if you  live abroad .

According to the internet you need to have lived in UK for 2 of the last 3 years and live in the UK at the time of applying

Hope this helps

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    Hi @Davehiley

Welcome to the community :) 

Hopefully we see you sticking around here in the future, it's a really supportive and helpful place. 

I'm sure somebody will be able to answer your query accurately.
  • Davehiley
    Thank you to everyone that has taken the time out to read Daves situation and offer help, we really appreciate it.  I have being trying for months and have found no one to assist, I did get referred to the Government websites, but cannot find anything there for people living outside of the UK, and never found the website user friendly. 
    Steve51, you are a champion, thank you for going the extra mile and sending the email to the Team of senior members , to see if they can point us in the right direction.  A stroke is not selective and can happen to anyone at anytime.  There is a Brain surgeon  in New Zealand that had a 8 month old baby that suffered a stroke!! It shows no mercy.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @Davehiley. I'm sorry to read about your husband's situation. Unfortunately as far as I'm aware he'd only be eligible for PIP if he was living in an EEA (European Economic Area) country or Switzerland. You can read more about the eligibility for PIP on GOV.UK's Personal Independence Payment (PIP) page. Have you looked into whether he's eligible for New Zealand's Disability Allowance?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Davehiley
    Hi there, yes I did but because I am full time employed he doesn't qualify for anything either.  So sad, in his good days he worked hard, paid his taxes in both countries and now he needs help there isn't any help for him. I often wonder what would happen to him should I pass, what will happen to him.  Thanks for your help and for listening.

Brightness