finding a coffee mate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

finding a coffee mate

Happyflower
Happyflower Community member Posts: 12 Connected

Im a friendly , caring, witty, generous, lady, and i  am a glass half full  happy person. I am looking for a friend in similar circumstances as myself for outings and holidays. I have problems walking ( but can and do walk unaided!! ) but not far due to  knee problem from birth. This cant be rectified and im stuck with it.  I also have scoliosis but have no health issues with that. I drive, have grown up children and grandchildren and like days out, coffee meets, tea rooms,  anything really .  I have many friends but feel like im holding them back on certain outings because have to keep tstopping to rest. So,if anyone is in a similar situation aged  55 upwards, male or female, a non smoker, and would like to join me for coffee, days out etc. Please reply to me and let's forge a new lifetime friendship.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Happyflower welcome to scope, how are you today? You have a great attitude to life and I wish you success in your search for a coffee mate good luck
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Hi @Happyflower would love to join you but my arthritis/fibromyalgia makes things limited, you can chat on here and share poems/songs/name a food or drink with last letter of persons post, also advice on lots of topics is welcome  :) nice to meet you x
  • Happyflower
    So  everyone here im in South yorkshire !  X
  • katho31
    We are about 10 miles from Liverpool  :) its a little quiet tonight on the forum, how you doing this evening? x
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Ah I love Yorkshire ! Good luck with that..
    I’m close to London about 50 mins by train...
    im from Liverpool originally 

best wishes ?
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • Happyflower
    I've decided to have an early night because tomorrow I hope to go to the coast for the day. I love driving and finding new places . 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    My main wish in life would be to take up such offers as this but my mobility is too limited to even meet up with people unless I am prepared to "go through hell" after each time. I hope you find someone appropriate but be careful, even here there are people that are best not meeting up with. Not because they are bad people but because disability can have such a negative effect on people who do not even notice it happening.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Happyflower
    Hello everyone . Hope youre all feeling fine and dandy. Weather isn't great but at least its warm...well i am and I'm always warm. What have you all been up too today? I didnt get to the coast because of the unpredictable weather. If I can add a photo here, I'll show you my old pal.  Hes 18 bless him
  • Happyflower
  • katho31
    I want him  <3<3 awww so adorable you are very lucky, very broody here.... :#
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Happyflower Lovely pics of your friend
     I am from South Yorkshire but I am not over 55 (not far off) and I am a smoker, I cant walk full stop so rely on my scooter, power chair or wheelchair 

Shame you didnt get to the coast at the weekend you will have to plan it for another day
  • Happyflower
    Hi janer.  Im sorry I state non smoker , its mainly because I have asthma and its one of the things that set it off xx   hope you are well and happy
  • janer1967
    I understand it's a very anti social habit nowadays .

I'm very happy my teenage son keeps me smiling 

Where in south yorkshire are you 
  • Happyflower
    I'm in sheffield x
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @janer1967. yes, it is perceived as very anti-social but personally I think the effort going into suppressing it is a disgrace when you consider the lack of effort on alcohol drinking. You only need to watch the news or these late night programs about police & health services to see just how anti-social drinking has become. I wonder how many people are aware that during the lockdown the incidents of spousal abuse and child abuse was 5 times higher than normal and almost 100% of them alcohol related. Until proper effort is put into place to discourage the overuse of alcohol (currently 50% of the adult population and 80% of the teen population is addicted to alcohol but only a very small fraction admit to being so and try to get help) I will refuse to join in any anti-smoking movement. Even the effects of passive smoking are overwhelmed by the overflow of excess drinking and the cost to the health & police services.

When people are told they are addicted (or even might be) to alcohol they always trot out the same excuses, "I'm not addicted. I could stop whenever I like but why should I? There's no harm in it."

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • janer1967
    I was born and brought up in sheffield moved away about 25 years ago my family all still live there 

I'm now in Doncaster 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Happyflower
    Scope

• Happyflower
    Hello everyone. How are you all?  The weather is cooling a little now thankfully.  Ive still not found a coffee mate to join me , but I want to add i like pub qyizzes too, and when life hopefully gets back to some normality at least, whose up for joining me at a quiz night here in sheffield? 
  • Happyflower
    I have to say that I do have a wide circle of friends and we do lots of things, but its always nice to make new friends x
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Happyflower

Your dog is so cute!! I love the photo of him in his pirate costume :) 

It's always good to make new friends.  Here is a link to a website called Meetups where people organise different meetups based on different interests that you might want to nosey at.  If you do meet people online though keep safe and make sure people know where you are going! 

What do you have planned for today? I hope you have a lovely Friday.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness