unable to use public transport — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

unable to use public transport

tallyann
tallyann Community member Posts: 10 Listener
if cant use public transport  and unable to follow a familiar route unaided  due to opd  what points can i score for pip claim  be grate

full for any info  thank u

Comments

• Sorry_Susan
    Sorry_Susan Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Whilst that is a simple and direct answer it doesn't take into account how the problem is described and how the assessors will try to trick people into stating something that disproves the basic statement. Also every assessor has differing ideas on how such things are judged and how descriptions are applied, which is why so many different people run into problems with such topics as this.

Don't assume that getting the specified points is as simple as it sounds.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

Nobody can really say how many points you would score as there are several things they take into account

How your disability affects you and for example the aid you need to follow an unfamiliar journey, what happens if you try to do the task etc
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I told them that due to my anxiety I couldn’t use public transport some years ago and they gave me no points at all! They said they couldn’t pay me in order to get taxis. I was stymied by that. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• tallyann
    tallyann Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    hi thank u  everyone forall ur replys
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    edited July 2020
    Interesting point @leeCal, their comments make no sense as you sound like you explained a perfectly valid reason for requiring help and are not specifically asking for taxi fares. After all, it isn't your fault that you cannot use public transport and all you are asking for is assistance in order to make your own acceptable arrangements.

In my case I can not only not use public transport but even taxi's are extremely stressful. My only way out is to continue driving. However, this often brings out negative comments about not being able to walk but being able to drive. In fact about three quarters of my visits to hospital under emergency conditions end up with me being basically shoved into a taxi to get home because although they will put me on a stretcher from inside my home to hospital they will only ever force me to sit up on a chair or in a car or ambulance seat to get home again. On 3 occasions, having gone to A&E due to over- or inappropriate medication and having been sent home by taxi I have then taken even more dangerous amounts of medication to cope with not only the stress but also the physical suffering and I have had to go back to A&E again, and go through it all again, simply because I told them about it. I stopped telling them since the last time in order to reduce my stress and physical suffering by being forced to go back again. I have even refused to go to A&E a few times because I know it will be a complete waste of time.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    12 points

Sorry but that's not quite correct here. Having some understanding of the PIP descriptors and what they mean always helps. Full explaination here, with the question answered in full in this duplicate thread. https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/72908/public-transport-and-pip#latest

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.