Room 101!!! - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Room 101!!!

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Plastic wheel trims that snap as soon as soon as look at a curb or fall off in a high wind. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A loaf of bread which has been squished! 
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope
    Nobody likes squishy bread! :( 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    maple247 said:
    • People looking at their mobile phone instead of where they're walking
    "Phone Zombies" I think they are called!

Especially annoying when they blame you when you bump into them!

A family member (who is much more confident than me!) has stopped moving out of the way for phone zombies. This person always moves out of the way for buggies, dogs, elderly people, wheelchairs etc. but when it comes to a phone zombie they will simply continue waking straight at them and will happily bump right into them.
  • maple247
    maple247 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    66Mustang said:

A family member (who is much more confident than me!) has stopped moving out of the way for phone zombies. 
    I wish I was this bold! :D
  • leeCal
    edited July 2020
    Umbrellas which on a wet but windy day turn inside out forcing you to struggle with the thing whilst getting soaked! Surely a design fault... ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• amyhutchinson_12
    amyhutchinson_12 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    When people in front of you are just standing there and you proceed to walk past them but then they start walking, get in front of you and you have to stop so you don't bump into them. 

Oh! And people who don't say thank you when you move out of the way for them. Had this happen a lot during lockdown, and people just taking up pavements so you have to shove yourself to the side.
  • 66Mustang

Oh! And people who don't say thank you when you move out of the way for them. Had this happen a lot during lockdown, and people just taking up pavements so you have to shove yourself to the side.
    I agree with this, and not just during the 2 meter rule but before it as well. We walk the dog every day on a route that is shared with a lot of other dog wakers, runners and cyclists and we have to move out of the way often. I'd say about 3/4 of the dog walkers say thank you, maybe because they see another dog owner as a kind of friend? About 1/3 of the cyclists say thank you, and runners seem to be the rudest on the whole, maybe 1 in 20 say thank you.

I don't know what goes through peoples' mind when they don't thank you. Is it maliciousness or just ignorance, or are they just self entitled?

Before it is mentioned, I know some people have social issues, I have autism myself (but still manage a nod/smile or sometimes a thank you), but I refuse to believe that half the population have these issues, I think most of them are just pain rude!
  • maple247
    66Mustang said:

and runners seem to be the rudest on the whole, maybe 1 in 20 say thank you.
    I agree with this, too! It takes a great deal of effort to get out of the way (walking is hard if I have to turn), so while gratitude is not essential it is very much appreciated.

As for the runners, the only concession I can make is that they might not have much breath available for thanks. But a nod, or even just a smile, would go a long way...
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    People who park in Blue Badge spaces who are not disabled especially in supermarkets and parks where they don’t get a parking ticket meaning there is no space left for the people who do need the parking space.
    People who use other people’s Blue Badges.
    Getting abuse from people in supermarkets because I am too slow at the checkout.
    Bullies in the workplace who bully disabled staff and then it is covered up by management who would rather protect the bully at all costs.
    Cyclists who are not supposed to cycle in the park then expect disabled people to get out of the way.
    People who don’t social distance.
    Talking down to disabled people.
    Queue jumping.
    People suggesting wonder diets to cure someone.
    People telling me I don’t look sick.
    The long term effects workplace bullying has on disabled staff including PTSD as we already have enough to deal with without being bullied.
    People ignoring the lockdown.
    Getting nasty comments from work colleagues because I have been shielding.
    Being made to feel worthless because I am disabled.
    The government pausing shielding before it is safe.
    Disabled people being forced back to work when it is not safe.
    Not getting any response from my MP.

• leeCal
    Chewing gum on warm pavements.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    When your phone gets to 1%
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    I can't remember if I have already posted this one but to add to the people who don't thank you when you move aside for them, I would add drivers who don't thank you when you give way!
  • RAwarrior
    Drivers who drive too close to me.

Sunday drivers.

Middle lane hoggers.

People who don’t say thank you when you move out of the way  to social distance when you are walking.

People who don’t social distance.

Moped drivers who drive too close and weave in and out of the traffic. 

Drivers who drive down a right hand turn lane and cut in at the last minute whilst everyone else has been queuing causing traffic jams and a danger to other road users.

Driver who cut across several lanes when exiting the motorway.

Drivers who  only indicate that they are turning right when they get to the turning.

Drivers who pull straight out of a side road without looking.

Motorbike riders doing wheelies on a main road.

People using other people’s Blue Badges.

People parking in Blue Badge spaces waiting for someone who is mobile saying they will only be a minute.

Healthy people parking in Blue Badge spaces because they are too lazy to walk.

• leeCal
    edited July 2020
    Receptionists who seem to want to block you from making an appointment or speaking to someone in their office. Grrrr!

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Lots and lots of driving related ones - interesting! I would tend to agree with them all! Though in truth I love driving and don't let anyone annoy me on the roads as it is my time to relax and forget about my issues. :):)

@leeCal I can see how that would be annoying yes!
  • RAwarrior
    One of the most annoying is people who are not disabled parking in disabled spaces.

People who are not disabled using disabled cubicles making disabled people wait and then saying sorry they didn’t want to queue.

People who don’t say thank  you.

Workplace bullies.

Youtube adverts especially in the middle of a video.

Mobile phone zombies.

Coffee shops with heavy doors that I can’t open.

People who cough or sneeze without covering their mouth.

Spitting.

People who spoil parks, nature reserves etc and don’t take their rubbish with them. They expect others to pick it up turning places into rubbish tips spoiling the environment and endangering the wildlife.

People who feed bread to the ducks, geese etc as it can kill them.

People who feed stale bread or leftovers to ducks, geese etc.

Runners and cyclists who nearly knock me over in the park.

Runners and cyclists who don’t say thank you when I get out of their way.

• catt_t
    catt_t Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hills!
    I honestly didn't realise how uphill the world is until I had to push my wheelchair through a shopping centre on one of my first times out. 

Plastic carrier bags with feeble handles that last all of 5 seconds

Dog/cat/alien poop on the pavement. 

Someone asking if I saw the dog/ cat/ alien poop before I went through it.... of course I did ,I love cleaning up the chaos of it being, well , everywhere!

Pens that have the audacity to run out of ink halfway through a sentence. 

Covid. 

People with stupid loud voices outside having a stupid loud party after my bedtime.

OK, I'm done, and my battery says 9%, and my charger has gone into hiding, so I'll let you folk have some peace. 
  • maple247
    edited July 2020
    RAwarrior said:
    Coffee shops with heavy doors that I can’t open.
    Yes, this! Restaurants too, when I'm lucky enough to be able to go. Either I'm too feeble to open them (possible on some days) or they install huge, heavy, tall doors that aren't counterweighted properly! I've spent a lot of time standing outside an establishment because I can't open the door, while people on the inside have watched me trying like it's an episode of Insert Reality TV Show Here. Must be the glass windows! 

Ahh, good times :D
  • RAwarrior
    @catt_t
    I agree about the dog mess in streets. Dog mess also it is a big problem in parks/ nature reserves which along with the rubbish many people leave behind ruins the environment. 

Cyclists who cycle on accessible paths in parks or nature reserve designed for people with disabilities and in particular wheelchair users especially when there are extensive places for cyclists to use but they choose to ignore the No Cycling signs and put disabled visitors in danger.

Brightness