Telephone tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Telephone tribunal

simpled89
simpled89 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hello all, I read here quite often and take a lot of advice on board. You're all a lovely bunch. 

However I felt its the time for me to ask my own questions given that I have my telephone tribunal on Tuesday. I am so worried about it but if I put things into perspective it's nothing like how I would be feeling if I had to attend in person. So that's a silver lining. I've been refused pip twice before this but never taken it to the tribunal stage before. This is a last chance try for me, I will admit defeat if nothing comes of this. 

Sorry for the long waffle... My questions are...

I often feel like I'm wasting peoples time and rush my answers to things like this. However doing this hasn't seemed to work for me in the past... Will they be willing to listen to me explaining things fully or do I need to be quick and just skim over the basics like a summary? I find it so difficult to know what is relevant.

Also, when will I find out the outcome? I heard they won't tell me during that phonecall but that I may be able to ring the court afterwards to find out the decision?

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Lulu_1949
    Lulu_1949 Community member Posts: 236 Pioneering
    @simpled89 welcome, please don’t worry , my sons hearing was by phone a few weeks ago. If I were you I would say that you don’t want to rush your answers and that you get stressed if you try and rush but that you are apologising in advance for taking it slowly but it’s the best way you can cope. It will last probably an hour. The clerk will ring you first and put you at ease, tell him about worrying about rushing and that you want to take your time with your answers. He will tell you who will be on the phone, usually the judge , a doctor and someone that knows about disabilities . 
    With my son the said he would get an answer within a few days but the letter came the next morning. 
    I wish you well, stay calm, this is your chance x
  • serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    Hi @simpled89

i wanted to say hello and send good wishes to you.
    @Lulu_1949  has given some great guidance there , nothing to add except 
    just to say..it helps me to write things down...That I know I want to say..the bits that are important..I do this when I go to the drs or anywhere as I’m forgetful ? it does help me...

best wishes ??
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and thanks for asking for some advice, I hope you find the answers given to be helpful. I wont giver anymore as dont want to overwhelm you.

Just want to wish you luck for the tribunal and keep us updated on the outcome
  • simpled89
    Thank you all for your input, I will take it all on board. So incredibly nervous but what will be will be. Time is dragging and will be glad when it's over as I'm sure you can all imagine. Thanks once again it was all valuable advice. Will update you afterwards :) 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
  • simpled89
    Hi just an update I had my tribunal today, all males on the panel and they were all friendly and professional. Have no idea how it went, it's so difficult to say. I thought it had gone well with my assessment but scored zero on both so I've genuinly no idea. I remembered to only answer what I was asked and made sure not to waffle. The judge said he will write his decision up and send it over to the people who send out the letters but due to covid and staff shortages he doubts that will be posted out today or even tomorrow so just a case of waiting. Thank you all once again. 
  • simpled89
    Well I said it wrong then, apologies 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Fingers crossed for you @simpled89
    Scope

• simpled89
    Hi I said I would update you all... 

Still no letter of decision so I have rang them and they said they will put a refer all in the chase it up. Anybody have any ideas why there would be no word after a week? I realise you would never know for sure but I'm just curious about why this might be as I've not heard of this happening before. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @simpled89 Try not to panic a week isnt that long to wait as Mike explained it may go back and forth between the judge and clerk to make sure the letter is correct before posting out, there are also lots of postal delays too.

I sent a parcel recently first class and it took nearly 2 weeks to get there 
  • simpled89
    Thank you, that's put my mind at ease. I appreciate your response
  • laumacc
    laumacc Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    Hi, I had mine last Wednesday and I’m also waiting for my letter. It’s a horrible feeling isn’t it. I hope it arrives soo for us 
  • simpled89
    laumacc said:
    Hi, I had mine last Wednesday and I’m also waiting for my letter. It’s a horrible feeling isn’t it. I hope it arrives soo for us 
    Hi hope you've heard your outcome @laumacc

Got the text and email today to say a decision has been made and it's in the post ?

• laumacc
    ooh brilliant! Good luck ??????
    I’ve had my letter, I got enhanced for both! Not heard from dwp yet though. It’ll have been a week tomorrow. And it’s been going on for 17 months. Sincerely wishing you good luck x
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,611 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @simpled89, hope you get a good outcome good luck?
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,611 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @laumacc. Great news on your appeal outcome, so pleased for you, now you can relax, and enjoy your backpay when it arrives ?
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    Made up for you  :) well deserved and you can chill a little now x
  • laumacc
    Hi, and Thankyou very much. Such a horrid experience but it’s got to be done! Wishing everyone who gets this far the best of luck getting what is rightfully yours :)
  • simpled89
    That's fantastic, great news ?

I got my letter today, standard daily with 11 points and enhanced mobility with 22 points. Over the moon, thank you all
  • laumacc
    Good for you! :) enjoy it 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.