Will I continue to get my Severe Disability Premium when I retire in September? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I continue to get my Severe Disability Premium when I retire in September?

geeupboy13
geeupboy13 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
hello everyone,  I retire in Sept. and wanted to know if I will still continue to get SDP, on my HB award letter it mentions SDP but it doesn’t say that I will actually receive it. 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geeupboy13

Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

I will forward your post onto one of our members who is very good in this area.

Hi @poppy123456

I have just come across this post & I wonder if you can offer me some help with it please?????

@steve51
  • geeupboy13
    Thanks @Steve51,  I hope someone can clear this up for me . Cheers
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geeupboy13

No probs my friend.

We have also got some senior members who maybe able to offer you some more help.

Hi @Adrian_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope

Can you both offer me some help with this new post????

@steve51

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI and welcome,

SDP with housing benefit isn't actually paid as such, it's more of an invisible disability premium.

What other benefits do you currently receive? Possibly ESA?

Also when you say "retire" do you mean you'll be claiming your state pension?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • geeupboy13
    Hi, Firstly  thank you for replying.  
    Yes the state pension.  I’ve been claiming ESA support group along with PIP. I’ve  been informed from DWP that I will start my pension on the 6th Sept 20  which works out to be £150.50 including inherited pension from my deceased husband, also HB said I will continue to get full  rent paid C.Tax paid,So I’m happy but wondered about  the SDP but thanks for clearing that up. 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    Once you reach state pension age your ESA will end. For the SDP this can be claimed in with pension credit, which you'll need to claim when the time comes. It can take a few months for payments to start so do be aware of that. See link.

To add to this, you should be claiming the SDP in with your ESA at the moment, as i assume you're living alone (no other adults living with you)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • geeupboy13
    Yes I am still claiming ESA but obviously this will stop , I am on my own and I forgot to say that the DWP person said for me to try to get pension credit so I have applied and awaiting to hear back.  Thank you
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geeupboy13 - I just wanted to add my welcome to the community also. I'm pleased your query has been sorted by Poppy, & I hope you may have a look around the forum & join in with the discussions. :)
  • geeupboy13
    Thank you so much for the warm welcome, it’s much appreciated. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @geeupboy13!

Please do have a look around and get involved. If you need anything clarifying then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

• geeupboy13
    hi, I’ve just been told by Pension credit that they will not know if I’ve been awarded pension credit until after I retire.  Even though when I applied for this I received a letter back stating that I would here from them before the 13th Aug.2020 is this correct ?
    thank you for any help !
  • poppy123456
    Yes, that's correct. This is because before you receive your state pension there's no pension credit to award. There's also most likely a huge backlog due to Covid19. Under normal times a claim for pension credit can take 3-4 months. That could easiliy extend to several months now.

You will of course be backdated any money that's owed if it's not done in time for your state pension. You just need to be aware that your money will be significantly reduced until it's in payment.
  • geeupboy13
    Thank you very much for your help !
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community @geeupboy13, I hope you manage to get everything sorted 

What do you plan on doing in your retirement anything nice planned
  • geeupboy13
    Hi @janer1967,  well I’m trying to get the pain under control with the pain management team first,   then take it from there. So unfortunately nothing really exciting planned.  But always hopeful.  Thank you for asking. Take care
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @geeupboy13! Welcome to the community. I'm glad @poppy123456 was able to give you some answers :)

I'm also glad you're hopeful for your future! I'm sure you and your pain management team are working together on it, but you might also like to give this discussion a read if you're interested. We can't give medical advice on here, but the community is more than happy to offer you other advice and support 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • geeupboy13
    thank you thank you I’ll remember that !

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.