Are the pip asessors allowed to question you about your parenting to your children — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are the pip asessors allowed to question you about your parenting to your children

mk2000
mk2000 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
He wrote on my report I must be fine because I can change my child's nappies ...is this allowed he kept asking me how do I cook and bath my kids and take them to school or doctors if I suffer anxiety and depression and i dont like going out

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It must have been awful and i'm sorry to hear this. However, it's all part of the assessment process because they are trying to get a picture of your daily life and how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    For example, if you stated that you don't go out and you have young children that go to school then who takes them to school, if you don't go out? Your partner, your mum or maybe a friend?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • mk2000
    I explained my mum but he just kept saying i can't seem to understand i said understsnd what that my mum helps me alot hmm because I look after my kids doesnt mean I'm not mentally stable and fine inside and I don't struggle everyday but he seemed to take it as becaude I can look after my children i must be able to look after my self 
  • poppy123456
    No, it doesn't mean you can't look after your children at all. The questions that were asked are perfectly normal though and part of the assessment. Please concentrate on the MR before anything else.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I understand how being questioned about how you care for your children is upsetting I know it would upset me.

But as Poppy said it is re about how you go about your daily life and asking those sort of questions are an obvious part of any mothers day.

It may go in your favour that your condition clearly affects your daily life to the extent that you cant take your children to school maybe think of it in a positive rather than a negative
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there as mentioned above I just wanted to send my support and say it’s not nice I know it feels very personal but this is the sort of stuff they ask it was the same with me regarding my dog they must of asked the same question surrounding his care over and over again but in a different way . 

Because I think with my self they were trying to get a idea of who walks my dog ect , she also asked me things like when you could go out on days out where would you go with your dog ect  , so I was asked questions like that so I’m guessing you would of been asked bout the school run ? And cooking food ect around the children I know it’s hard not to take it personally after me expressing I didn’t want to talk bout certain things I found distressing she kept asking and it sort of made me think why does this lady keep asking me this it’s really hard I know it’s not some thing Nice to go Very stressful . I can’t remember Have you had your final decision yet ? Sorry I forgot . 

I’m in the same boat I’m still waiting for mines , I just keep thinking positive we’ll trying my best too but Iam really worried but I just keep trying to take my mind off it . 

Xx 
  • FairHairedFoodie
    FairHairedFoodie Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    After the assessor asked if I'd ever considered suicide and I answered yes, she then asked why I'd never gone through with it. It seemed like such an awful question, asking a person who has had tendencies toward suicide why they didn't just do it.

I received excellent advice here on the reason behind the question and it made sense to me at that point. The questions can be deeply, deeply personal--and often feel offensive--but knowing the 'why' made it all clearer. I'm sorry your experience was not a good one. I have been there too.
  • cupcake88
    @FairHairedFoodie oh no sorry they said that to you my god that’s horrible . 

Was you successful in getting pip .
  • FairHairedFoodie
    FairHairedFoodie Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    cupcake88 said:
    @FairHairedFoodie oh no sorry they said that to you my god that’s horrible . 

Was you successful in getting pip .
    I was successful but only after Mandatory Reconsideration. My full timeline is here.
  • mk2000
    @cupcake88 no i got my report back but he had put the dot in every box ehat said I can do everything which didn't make sense to what he wrote so it looks like I've scored no points hun I'm still waiting to but ino what their decision will be have u heard anything back they did say 8 weeks though I don't no why it takes so long when they already know their decision x
  • cupcake88
    Hi there hun no I have Heard nothing I did call up and was told it had been sent to the dwp . I personally decided not to see the report I would rather just wait for the decision as I think it would worry me more to look at the report with no answer . 

Yeh can take up to 8 weeks hun . I think if it gets to 4 weeks I might request a copy of the report but I’m ok at the moment I feel like I’ll be ok to wait a few more weeks . I have waited this long . 

You never know what it will say just fingers crossed for you hun 
  • lindyloo42
    lindyloo42 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Hi all av just got my mr back n it’s bad news for me am just thinking about next steps as I still think it’s wrong . My nerves getting the better off me but I really don’t want to give up just yet x
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @lindyloo42. I'm sorry to hear your MR wasn't successful. Sadly success rates of MR are pretty low but this doesn't mean you shouldn't continue especially if you don't want to. The good news is that success rates at tribunal stage are much higher. 

We've some information on the tribunal process on our website here: Tribunal appeal
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • cupcake88
    @lindyloo42 hi Lindy loo sorry to hear this no don’t give up keep going . There have been loads of positive stories on here where people haven’t given up and get a good outcome .  Was your mr because you felt you should of received a higher pip or did your not get awarded at all ? Keep on fighting we are all hear for you 
  • mk2000
    @cupcake88 I've got mine back and they've give me 0 points said I can look after my kids so I'm fine omg the cheek
  • cupcake88
    @mk2000 did you get your decision back mk today mk ? Or just the report 
  • poppy123456
    Whether it does go against a claimant will depend on the reasons they're claiming PIP.
  • mk2000
    I got it back the full thing and they haven't give me it 0 points sucks ... when he's said i can do everything I can't i get help or support with
  • cupcake88
    Did you get it threw the post you got 0 points for every thing ? Im sorry to here this 
  • river123
    river123 Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    I had my assessment last Thursday then txt of dwp on the Friday to say they've received my report , I've rang up dwp today and requested my report. So scared of hearing the outcome after hearing such bad stories on people's. My assessor asked me really odd questions too. The dip told me today that it shouldn't be too long until I get a decision, fingers crossed I will hear something soon as it's only taken 4 weeks since sending off my report to getting an assessment to this stage now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.