Bipolar Medication Change - Worried — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bipolar Medication Change - Worried

depressedmum09
depressedmum09 Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
Hi, Im looking for some advice with anyone who has experience with Bipolar.
I suffer with Bipolar, I was diagnosed in 2017. I was prescribed mirtazapine 45mg and Lithium 900mg. I recently had bloods taken and my thyroid fuction has declined, the GP doctor believes it is down to the long term use of lithium therefore he is changing this to something else for my next repeat prescription. I am terrifed. When I first started to take this combination my severe manic episodes where every couple of weeks, over the years as the medication was increased these severe episodes are once every few months. I still have hyper mania episodes but I dont pose a danger to myself or others when these happen, Im more of a high energy can do every task under the sun kind of person and they last a few days.
Does anyone have any experience of having medication changed and the effect it had (good or bad). I have 2 children, my youngest is 1 years old, my eldest is 8. She was terrified of me when my Bipolar was really bad and I cant let that happen again. Do I have a choice to refuse the doctors medication change? 
Thanks for anyones help with this. 

Comments

• Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    depressedmum09 Hi I dont suffer from bipolar but if you want to know about your medication you can access MIMS online which tells you all about the various medications we take hopefully you will get the answers you seek. Failing that if you ask an advanced nurse at your doctors surgery they will help you. To have a good repore with health professionals is key.

All the best
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @depressedmum09

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your mental health, and that you're concerned about a change in medication. That's totally understandable. As @Wini1960 said, having a good rapport with health professionals is really important, so perhaps you could bring your concerns up with them if you feel able?

We're not able to offer medical advice on here, as we're not medical professionals, but you can also read a bit more about medication and your rights on the Rethink Mental Illness website, and the Mind website

Let us know how you get on!

Tori
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community, I am sorry I dont have any experience with your condition and unfortunately we are not able to give medical advice

I understand your feart and think you should discuss this again with your GP and explain your concerns .

Also pharmacists are often the experts to ask about medication and their effects

I would discourage you from using the internet to get information as this can sometimes be very unreliable if you dont find the expert 

Other members may have some experience olf the medications but everyone is different and its not one fit for all
  • depressedmum09
    depressedmum09 Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    hi thanks for your replies, I dont want medical advice, I was hoping someone might have had a similar experience and could tell me how they handled it the change. I will try to contact my mental health community team tomorrow xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @depressedmum09, I just wanted to make sure you were aware :) I'm glad to hear you'll try and contact the mental health team tomorrow, I think that's a good first step
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @depressedmum09, just wanted to check in to see if you were able to contact your mental health team. :)
    Scope

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    How are you getting on @depressedmum09? Have you started on the new prescription yet? 
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness