Face Masks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face Masks

dkb123
dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
has anyone found that wearing a face-covering  increases the moisture that  accumulates around the mouth  and makes the corners sore

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Not yet as only worn one on two occasions but must admit I wasn't too happy doing so, but its what we must do for now, have you tried putting a smear of vaseline on the corners of your mouth ? that might help.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Not yet @dkb123, I have been putting a drop of peppermint essential oils in my mask which has made it a lot more tolerable and not as hot to wear.
    Scope

• dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 166 Pioneering
    I find it happens on longer journies like the bus or tube
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I agree wearing the masks is very uncomfortable but unfortunately a must. I keep getting very sore lips when I wear mine
  • oldblokeinavan
    oldblokeinavan Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Re: Masks, 
    Let's have some facts...... The government gave guidance, not law, simple.

I took a train journey last week for the first time since lockdown, I have both visible and non-visible disabilities..... I am 'exempt' according to the government guidance.......

I was challenged by a policeman on the train asking where my mask was....
    I explained i am exempt, he asked why?
    I replied, this is private matter (because of the Equalities Act 2010)
    He asked for documentation to prove exemption, I explained, not required, (due to the Act).

If I had been a more 'meek person, I would have been seriously intimidated by the police's conduct, - he backed off once I explained.  He did ask why I was being awkward, I explained that I wasn't, I just knew the applicable law, not guidance.  He went away with his tail between his legs !!!

The upshot is this...... You do not have to prove or explain ANYTHING TO ANYONE, if you are dxempt, you are exempt, tell the police or the shop, or the person on the street, exactly where to get off, politely of course!
    Bon Courage!

Brightness