Should my husband claim carers allowance or wait for my pension and claim attendance allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should my husband claim carers allowance or wait for my pension and claim attendance allowance?

jakclaydon123
jakclaydon123 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi Everyone, I am coming up to retirement on the 6th of Sept, my query is because my husband is a year younger I have to claim u c , Because he is also my full time carer should he claim carers allowance ( I was awarded standard pip for help in Feb ) or wait until I get my pension and claim attendance allowance, Thank you in advance Jak

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jakclaydon123 and welcome to the community! I'm glad you've found us :)

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the Carers Allowance category on the site so that more of our members will be able to find and respond to your query. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us

I am not too sure on the answer but we do have a member who is an expert in this field and they will answer your query when they come online
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @jakclaydon123 and a warm welcome to the community. 

Can I ask if you and your husband currently claim any other benefits and is your husband working at all? This will help us give you the best advice regarding Carer's Allowance and UC. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    edited August 2020
    if you already get PIP you don't need to apply for AA you will continue to receive your PIP. You only apply for AA if you are over state pension age when you make your claim. So you should get hubby's carers allowance claim in ASAP.

*edited to correct a mistake
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    alieshia said:
    if you already get PIP you don't need to apply for AA you will continue to receive your PIP. You only apply for AA if you are over 65 when you make your claim. So you should get hubby's carers allowance claim in ASAP.

The age for claiming AA is not exactly 65, it's state pension age and over. There are people now that are older than 65 when they claim their state pension.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • alieshia
    alieshia Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    @poppy123456 thanks for the correction I keep forgetting state pension age changed. have edited my post.
  • poppy123456
    alieshia said:
    @poppy123456 thanks for the correction I keep forgetting state pension age changed. have edited my post.

No problem. Yes that's easy to forget.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Hi Everyone, I am coming up to retirement on the 6th of Sept, my query is because my husband is a year younger I have to claim u c , Because he is also my full time carer should he claim carers allowance ( I was awarded standard pip for help in Feb ) or wait until I get my pension and claim attendance allowance, Thank you in advance Jak

Hi,

Carers allowance and Attendance allowance are 2 completely different benefits. He won't be able to claim Attendance Allowance for looking after you.

Does your husband work? do either of you currently claim any benefits? Other than you claiming PIP for yourself.
  • Sadlesurfer
    Sadlesurfer Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi Everyone thank you for all your replying. at the moment.  i get Esa. industrial injuries, and small occupational pension. pip high rate mobility and standard rate care my husband gets  no benefits, My state pension starts on the 6 sept so esa will stop, i gave ti claim universal credit to claim housing benefit . 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    Hi Everyone thank you for all your replying. at the moment.  i get Esa. industrial injuries, and small occupational pension. pip high rate mobility and standard rate care my husband gets  no benefits, My state pension starts on the 6 sept so esa will stop, i gave ti claim universal credit to claim housing benefit . 

Hi,

I'm assuming you are the same person as jakclaydon123 but you're now using a different surname?

Regarding you claiming Universal credit. I'd advise you to use a benefits calculator to check entitlment because your Industrial injuries benefit, Occupational Pension and state Pension (when you receive it) will all count as income and reduce your Universal Credit £1 for £1, which means depending on circumstances you may not be entitled to much, if any UC at all.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.