Disability certificate — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability certificate

Vannessa
Vannessa Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi I'm vannessa can anyone help me and hubby we have recently purchased our own car with the help of parents after having to send back our motobility car we went to the post office to get the free tax and was told I needed a disability certificate looked online and it's so confusing can I have ur advise on where to go and wot to do as we needed car taxed and have had to pay for a 6 month one ourselves 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2020
    Hi @vanessa you need to show your PIP certificate which shows your award if you have pip. Take that in with your car documents.

It tells you all you need to know here

You can apply if you have either

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport

ill also tag in @Chloe_Scope she may know more.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community

The certificate you need is included in your PIP award letter usually the back page, however you only get this if you have been awarded points for mobility as detailed in above post.

If you have lost your car due to losing your mobility component you wont be entitled to the free tax
  • Vannessa
    Hi thankyou yeah I have the high rate mobility we decide to send back our motobility car early because we needed the money it was taking parents helped with a second hand car and like before we went for the fee tax before all we needed was the info u mentioned and the lady said we needed the disability cetificate don't know if  lady looked at back so shall we go back and make sure they look at the back wot am I looking for on the back of the award letter so I know when hubby goes as I'm still on sheilding x
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    There should be a separate page saying vehicle road tax certificate or something like that cant remember exactly what 

Just a thought the car dealer where you had your mobility car from may have had it 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Vannessa, just wanted to check in. Is there anything else we can do to help? :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you received Enhanced mobility PIP then you'll need to certifcate that came with your award letter. You don't need to award letter itself. If you do claim this award then you can ring DWP and they'll send you another certificate.

If you have standard daily mobility then you'll only be entitled to 50% reduction in road tax, which can't be done at any post office, You need to send your documents to DVLA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Vanessaa and welcome to the community :) 

How are you getting along with this? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Vannessa
    Not getting anywhere with disability certificate for our tax disc 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Vannessa said:
    Not getting anywhere with disability certificate for our tax disc 

You need to ring DWP to ask them to send it to you, providing you're claiming Enhanced mobility PIP..
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tiggs9
    tiggs9 Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi everyone i havent been on here for a long time 2yrs ago i was diagnosed with breast cancer, i had a mastectomy and radiotherapy for 6wks on top of all my other illnesses i still have a few more yrs before I get the all clear, but since having radiotherapy, i now have lymphoedema and emphysema, plus osteoporosis i take medication for my breast cancer ,i suffer with PTSD low moods depression and anxiety, plus many other life threatening illnesses so this pandemic has been like a nightmare my anxiety has rocketed ,so i have been on the critical list, and i had to isolate for 5 mnths ,but today was my first really day out and it felt fantastic, i really hope everyone is happy, keeping well and staying safe love tiggs9
  • Vannessa
    Hi there tiggs I'm vannessa me to Been on isolation since end of March due to spinabifida epilepsy and immune system low cause of an injection I take for my skin  it's been very hard for me to ask only have family who live with me don't have friends so I know how u feel  I have been out for first time and it's very scary for me too started just goin for short strolls and can't walk very far but good to b out of house again 
  • tiggs9
    tiggs9 Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    We went for a lovely meal today ,everything was set out lovely tables were petitioned off which was lovely sanitizer was there when you went in and when you came out ,staff was fantastic and they gave me my food intolerance menu ,so i can thoroughly recommend premier inn to anyone ,felt really safe ,was nervous at first but ok maybe now i can go for strolls i took my walking aid but now i shall use perhaps my mobility scooter and go down to the beach but if not i can use my rolator, i wear a sleeve and glove for my lymphoedema but i know if im in pain i can just sit down and rest but i just wish they would find a vaccine for this horrible disease, its been really frightening, i have been making jewellery and knitting toys and bags but it has been hard coping had xrays and scans ,and had to use my stand by antibiotics and steroids because of my emphysema so all its been a really struggle for me and i understand how it has been for you but maybe now we can go out more take care vannessa stay safe love tiggs9
  • Vannessa
    Have a lovely Sunday tiggs yeah I've started doin diamond art love trying new crafts also been painting again but cause of arthritis in my hands now and back pain can only do for a while but love the results x 

Brightness