Starting up a business from scratch — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Starting up a business from scratch

Jordan_90
Jordan_90 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
Hi I have always wanted to work although it hasn't been an easy journey and has unfortunately been unsuccessful in achieving this how ever i would like to start a business selling fan art and I was wondering if you could help me get started? 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI @Jordan_90

What kind of fan art would you be selling?  Maybe you could try creating a selling page on Etsy or even starting up your own facebook page to start with and getting friends to spread the word and share it for you.

Or.. and now I'm getting carried away :D you could try selling through Ebay?

What do you think about those ideas?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Jordan_90
    Great ideas thanks was thinking along the lines of Disney, marvel and DC
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Good morning @Jordan_90

What an interesting idea, if it's something you're passionate about I would certainly advise giving it a go, you never know where these things can lead. 

My best suggestion is to  build up a port folio of work, so that you can evidence your talent, and then possibly sign up to a website where you can offer commissions. 

The above advice is also great from Cher :) 

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Jordan_90
    Thank you so much for the encouragement and support guys. It really means heaps and @Ross_Scope that is what I plan to do 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem, let us know how you get on :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi some great ideas there, do you do the art yourself do you draw or paint them ? was just wondering as there may be some issues with copyright. Im no expert 

There are lots of organisations out there that help with business set up and ideas on marketing I am sure you could spend hours on the internet doing research

Anyway good luck hope you get started 
  • Jordan_90
    I will draw them and research isn't my strong suit 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Ok you may still have issues with copyright though as you will be using characters which are licensed to other companies.

It is something you will need to look into before you start to sell anything
  • Dawn_Scope
    Dawn_Scope Community member, Scope Posts: 3 Listener
    You would need a license from Disney, Marvel etc to reproduce their characters for your own purposes and profits.  These images are protected under Intellectual Property law and each character will be protected by Trademark and Copyright law and possibly even registered designs for figures, dolls, games, statues etc.  You can find out more about this law here and how it applies. Business and IP Centre - The British Library (bl.uk) a free Information and Advice service.  The big companies who hold the rights to these characters have been known to use their legal expertise to stop people reproducing their work for profit. 

Dawn
    Scope Employment Adviser and Self Employment Expert

Brightness