PIP update — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP update

TeddyB22
TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
I thought I would post an update regarding my PIP Supersession. I originally was awarded Standard Daily Living & Standard Mobility. After talking with my Citizens Advice Advisor (who has been brilliant) in April we decided to ask for then to look at the Daily Living component again. I only needed 2 points for the Enhanced rate and they had given me nothing for Budgeting. I did not ask for The Mobility Component to be looked at.
So I did an assessment over the phone oh about middle of March. They told me everything seemed to be the same. So this morning I got the decision letter and they have taken Mobility off me. It said that I admitted to going to appointments by myself. This is blatantly untrue. Originally I was awarded 10 points due following a journey and now nothing. They stuff give me extra points for Budgeting but then they took away the points I got for taking nutrition (originally awarded bc I need to be prompted to eat). So it seems they have with one hand and took with the other.
I don't know where I go from here. My award was for 3 yrs and was due to end on October this year. They have extended it to 2012. Unfortunately the advisor who did so much for me no longer volunteers so I'm on my own. 
I do feel that I met the criteria for Enhanced Daily Living and the Mobility was a bonus. Though as I haven't left the house in 5 months except for a couple of appointments locally where I was accompanied, I'm much more anxious any gibby anywhere by myself and to places I've never been. I've missed 5 appointment to a hospital to monitor my throat problem and a numerous appointments to my Psychiatrist.
Some will say I should never have contested the award but I felt I had a good chance. I'm pretty deflated. The extra money helped alot. I could get taxis to my mother's. My EDP & SDP was stopped a yr ago when I claimed UC after coming out of hospital and moving. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's always risky when reporting a change of circumstances. Yes when you do this they will look at the whole award again and not just part of it.

It's not clear if you've kept the daily living award or lost that as well as the mobility, or do you still have the daily living award, if so then what award do you have?

You say you've been awarded to 2012?? do you mean 2022?

Either way your next step is to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) You should put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points and then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

I advise you not to mention any lies that may have been told in the report because they won't be interested in any of those. What was said or wasn't said during the assessment isn't going to get you a PIP award, although it is annoying, i agree.

If the MR decision remains the same then it's Tribunal after that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TeddyB22
    Hi Poppy. How are you? I've missed talking to you.
    I'm sorry my post didn't make sense, I rushed it like always. 
    My Mobility Component was taken off me. I still have the standard rate of Daily Living. They have extended it until May 2022. My award was due to end in October this year (3 yrs). My first new payment they say will be in September this year. 
    I appreciate that Citizen's Advice are very busy and I don't want to rush them. They did say they would ring but perhaps they forgot. I think I can write the letter asking for a MR myself. I have the last one that my advisor wrote for me in February.
    I will ask them to reinstate the Mobility Component and the 2 points they gave me originally (twice in fact) for Nutrition. I was able to demonstrate to them that I had to be prompted to eat and bc of my problems with choking on food it took me a very long time to eat a meal. This often made me reluctant to eat and I often will go 2 days or more without eating any meals. Those extra 2 points would give me 13 points in the DL test providing they don't cynically take other awarded points away then.
    Thanks for your reply. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TeddyB22 Sorry to hear about your PIP I would just like to say when doing an MR dont say what you think should be re-instated or points added. You need to go through your report and for each descriptor you think you should have scored ore points on give an explanation why.

Give real examples of what happens when you try and do the task and if you cant do it why cant you.

When doing an MR they look at the whole award they will not re-instate anything just because you ask them to they will need good reason to change the points awarded 

Good luck and keep us updated
  • TeddyB22
    Thanks Poppy. I have a telephone appointment with the CA on Monday and have sent them the decision letter. Fingers crossed they will up the award. I'm not holding out for the Mobility Component, it's difficult to get and I feel lucky to have got it in the first place. I told the assessor on the phone I go to a local shop at night twice a week but cannot go on journeys by myself that I'm not familiar with. I don't use public transport and rely on my brother (though we haven't spoke for many months). I think this admission lost me it though I included it in my original document way back in 2017.
    All the best. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TeddyB22, please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• TeddyB22
    I will thanks Chloe. 

• TeddyB22
    Do the DWP accept emailed MR letters? I have till Thurs to get mine in. Otherwise I will have to write it out tonight & post it tomorrow. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    No, you can't request the MR by email. There's a form here that you can download and post. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/challenge-a-decision-made-by-the-department-for-work-and-pensions-dwp

You can ring to request the MR and then tell them you will be sending extra by post.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TeddyB22
    OK thanks Poppy. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.