MR successful — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR successful

donz72
donz72 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone. After getting over the shock of my partner being awarded Pip enhanced rate on daily living and mobility on a mandatory reconsideration I just wanted to share this news. 
We were both shaking and couldn’t quite believe it, has not many MR are successful.
The worry and stress of struggling financially has been a real challenging time. 
I work and also care for my partner.  
He gets LCWRA of UC. Can anyone advise if We can get the carers element on UC with myself working? 
i want to wish anybody going through the pip assessment the best of luck and to keep fighting. Thanks for any advice. 

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    Great news! Just so that you're aware, MR success rate was indeed very low before Covid19. Now it's the complete opposite and MR success rate has jumped to 54% which is huge!

regarding the carers element of UC, yes you can claim this regardless of you working. You don't need to claim the carers allowance to claim the carers element. You just need to be caring for him for at least 35 hours per week. Report the changes on your jounral.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • donz72
    Thank you so much for your reply @poppy123456. It’s wonderful to hear mandatory reconsideration are being so much more successful. I will do that on my journal do I have to report it or my partner? Many thanks Poppy.

• poppy123456
    You're welcome. You have to report it on your journal because it's you that's the carer and not your partner.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • donz72
    Thank you Poppy for the information. 
  • Comicmadtitan
    Comicmadtitan Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Congrats @donz72! Great news, gives me hope for mine haha 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done @donz72 that's brilliant news and a big relief I'm sure!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news and thanks for sharing with us, seems lots of people are reporting being successful at MR which is very positive just hope it continues
  • river123
    river123 Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Hi @donz72 That is fantastic news! I am currently waiting for my descion on my MR.. I only send it off 2 weeks ago so I’m assuming it may take a while yet. If u don’t mind me asking from when you sent of for your MR how long was it until u received your decision.. Also when you first got your first descion before your MR was you awarded anything? I was scored 6 point on daily living and 0 for mobility x 
  • donz72
    @poppy123456 can I ask you if claiming carers element does this affect Pip payments or my partners Lcwra for UC. It’s so confusing. 
    Ive read about severe disability premium that it affects that, but my partner isn’t getting that. Sorry to trouble you. All this is new to us and not sure of this carers element and what it affects in other benefits. 
  • poppy123456
    donz72 said:
    @poppy123456 can I ask you if claiming carers element does this affect Pip payments or my partners Lcwra for UC. It’s so confusing. 
    Ive read about severe disability premium that it affects that, but my partner isn’t getting that. Sorry to trouble you. All this is new to us and not sure of this carers element and what it affects in other benefits. 

No it doesn't affect PIP because that's not means tested and isn't part of UC.

It doesn't affect your LCWRA because that's yours and the carers element is what your partner will be claiming.

Severe disability premium isn't payable when claiming UC and is only payable when claiming the old legacy benefits, so this doesn't affect you.

In your case the carers element doesn't affect anything at all.
  • poppy123456
    @donz72 i've just re-read your last comment. Can i just ask you to confirm who claims the LCWRA and who's going to claim the carers element? because your last comment has confused me a little.
  • donz72
    edited August 2020
    @poppy123456 I do make it sound confusing. I work and my partner gets Pip and he gets LCWRA poppy 
  • poppy123456
    Thanks for that, that's what i thought when i advised you previously. Then my advice is correct, you can claim the carers element and the only affect it has is the £160 per month increase for UC.
  • donz72
    Oh my goddess ? Poppy thank you for your invaluable advice. I really do appreciate it. 
    You are a great advisor on this site. 
    Very best wishes to you @poppy123456

• poppy123456
    You're very welcome, always my pleasure. Thank you also for those very kind words! :)
  • donz72
    @river123 my partner was awarded 0 points for everything from the phone assessment. MR took about 7 weeks to be reconsidered. The money was in the bank before a letter was received. He was awarded 16 points for daily living and 12 points for mobility.
    Good luck wish you all the best on your appeal. 
  • pinkrose
    pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    @donz72, excellent news, so pleased for you and your partner.
  • river123
    river123 Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    @donz72 aw that is brilliant. So pleased for you and your information has given me a lot of hope. Thank you so much x 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @donz72, congratulations on the successful MR for your partner's PIP! 
    Just a note; when reporting caring to UC be sure to report it via Homepage - Report a Change - Caring for Someone. Don't just leave a note in your journal as these can go unread and they'd need you to report it officially anyway too. It'll ask you to confirm the person is in receipt of a qualifying benefit and for you to confirm you care for them for at least 35 hours a week. 
    After you do this the carer element should be on your next UC statement. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • donz72
    @Adrian_Scope thank you I’ve done that. 
    I Went on to caring for somebody and filled in the information they asked for.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.