What TV shows did you watch growing up? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What TV shows did you watch growing up?

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
Good morning all, I hope your weekend has started off well :) 

Time to reminisce!

I've had many conversations lately with people about TV shows we used to watch as children, and I always enjoy hearing other people's memories because we all come from unique upbringings and loved different things.

When I was a child I watched things like Teletubbies and  Tweenies, and then latterly Scooby-Doo and Basil Brush. I have such fond memories of all of them, whether it be the concept of the show or a character I particularly loved.

What did you used to watch when you were growing up? And what do you recall loving about those shows? 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    I remember watching watch with mother but I don’t remember anything about the content at all. I do have a fond memory of watching the adventures of Twizzle, a most remarkable boy who had extending arms and legs and a best friend who was a cat, great program. Then of course there were other programs like Doctor who with William Hartnell playing the doctor, and old reruns of Zoro and the Lone Ranger. Wow, a long long time ago...

When we first got a telly there was only BBC One and I think Two, I’m sure it used to stop at Ten pm as well.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    The Adventures of Twizzle sounds very interesting and unique @leeCal, I've not heard of it before :D 

Doctor Who is a fantastic one, we all have that one actor who played the Doctor who we associate with growing up. For me it was David Tennant. Do you still watch the show now? 

Yes my early memories of television were of there just being four channels, seems crazy now looking back considering the vast array of channels and services there are now. 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    No @Ross_Scope I don’t watch doctor who anymore. It changed for me when e special effects became too Hollywood, the older versions were more gritty and realistic in many ways. I’ll always remember the Daleks though, cruel and mean and humanity’s sworn enemy...if I remember rightly. We’d play Daleks at school and often ‘exterminate’ each other for twenty minutes or so! 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    The programmes you mention @Ross_Scope were not there i n my childhood you must be showing your young age there

I used to watch magic roundabout, blue peter, clangers, trumpton . They are all a lot better than the americanised kids programmes out nowadays
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Makes sense @leeCal, it has become very dramatic and bombastic at times in terms of the special effects and plot lines.

The Daleks still scare me a little to this day :D The Cybermen too, and most recently the Weeping Angels. Those three villains will unnerve me forever more I think. But exterminating each other sounds like a great way to spend a school play time :D 

Yes I may very well be showing my age there @janer1967 :D I did used to watch Blue Peter as a child so we have that in common at least, that show has been going for so long. What was trumpton about? I've not heard of that one.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    As a young kid we only had 4 channels and it was things like Come Outside (Which seems like an inappropriate title now!), Sesame Street, Barney, Postman Pat, Thomas the Tank Engine.

As an older kid we gained a 5th channel and it was things like Arthur, Hey Arnold, Fairly Odd Parents, Cow & Chicken, Yvon of the Yukon, Art Attack, SMart, Mona the Vampire, Pinky & the Brain, Recess, Rugrats, The Wild Thornberrys, Angry Beavers, The Queens Nose, Scooby Doo, Lizzie Mcguire, Raven, Get Your Own Back, The Cramp Twins, Chucklevision, Horrible Histories, The Really Wild Show, Kerching!, **** & Dom, Diggit, Milkshake, Jackie Chan Adventures, Looney Tunes, Keenan & Kel...

Very occasionally I'd get to watch things like Dexter or Jonny Bravo if I went round a rich persons house with Sky!  :D

Looking back, it seems like a lot of TV...I should probably have gone outside now and then!  :|

There's one show that I can remember but can't remember the name and it's irritating me lol...it was a cartoon, around 2004ish, there was a young guy with a blue top and square shoulders, blue cap and a small beige dog - I'm almost certain the dog could turn invisible and/or teleport...anyone remember the name of it?  :p
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I remember most of those :smiley:

Was the show you are trying to remember about a guy with a dog, I think called Corniel, who could talk, but they didn’t want anyone else to find out that the dog could talk?
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious I remember most of those :smiley:

Was the show you are trying to remember about a guy with a dog, I think called Corniel, who could talk, but they didn’t want anyone else to find out that the dog could talk?
    That's the one!!  Just found it, was called Watch My Chops!   :D 
  • OverlyAnxious
    Just remembered the Flinstones as well...  And Whacky Races...  
  • Ross_Alumni

As an older kid we gained a 5th channel and it was things like Arthur, Hey Arnold, Fairly Odd Parents, Cow & Chicken, Yvon of the Yukon, Art Attack, SMart, Mona the Vampire, Pinky & the Brain, Recess, Rugrats, The Wild Thornberrys, Angry Beavers, The Queens Nose, Scooby Doo, Lizzie Mcguire, Raven, Get Your Own Back, The Cramp Twins, Chucklevision, Horrible Histories, The Really Wild Show, Kerching!, **** & Dom, Diggit, Milkshake, Jackie Chan Adventures, Looney Tunes, Keenan & Kel...
    All fantastic shows, I used to watch so many of those myself. Ahhh the memories :D What was Fairly Odd Parents about? Name rings a bell but I can't remember it!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm going to show my age now but I :) a show on you tube last week that I loved as a kid in the 60's "I Love Lucy" with Lucille Ball.
    Also loved Dads Army, never missed Corrie until I got bored with it 5 years ago, as a very very young boy I watched "watch with mother" ...little weeed.
    Fireball XLV and another big favourite was "voyage to the bottom of the sea"
    I probably also watched Muffin the Mule until it became illegal  :)

Strange really for most of the 1960'e there were only two stations but always something worth watching, now we have 300 and it's all cr@p !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    edited September 2020
    Totally agree, and remember pinky and perky, @woodbine, noggin the nog, morph, mork and Mindy(when I was older likewise the fonz) Laramie, Wells Fargo, gunsmoke, rawhide, Z cars. And so on and so on. 
    The saint, Randal and hopkirk deceased, the prisoner, the avengers, thunderbirds. Wow, so many.

(Yes muffin the mule with Muriel somebody, also Bill  and Ben the flowerpot men and Lulu the doll bit iffy) oh yes and crackerjack on Friday afternoons at five pm, contestants won cabbages etc and a pencil, simple pleasures, I still like ...pencils.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @leecal you've stirred a few more memories Z cars was brilliant and pinky and perky had hit records.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    edited September 2020
    Bonanza, the man from uncle, everyone wanted to play that and be Ilya Kuriakin! The other one was napoleon solo. Ironside, the first detective type where the main actor was permanently in a wheelchair. The tormented Fugitive.
    Sunday night at the palladium. Charlie Drake. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    I've not heard of the vast majority of those @woodbine and @leeCal, although Bill and Ben the Flowerpot men is a classic :) 

Also, winning cabbages and pencils sounds very random. Very different to the sort of prizes they give away these days and when I was growing up.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I remember on **** and Dom there were often 3 prizes in the competitions. The first would be something really good like a games console or a holiday, second would be a £50-100ish prize but third prize was always something stupid; one I remember was the “porridge computer” which was a laptop that had been covered in porridge and so broken :D seemed like a waste
  • Ross_Alumni
    "Something stupid" are two words I associate with a lot of the shows **** and Dom used to do :D They were still great shows though.

I remember they used to do a mini game where they would get someone to eat a box of chocolates, one of which was filled with fish paste. The aim of the game was to eat X number of chocolates without getting the horrible one.

• leeCal
    Dixon of dock green. Andy pandy. Juke box jury, where they played a selection of that weeks pop music releases and then pontificated on which ones were the best, with David Jacobs. All in glorious black and white. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    The Clangers, Blue Peter, Rainbow, Bod, The Mister Men, Scooby Do, Rentaghost, Crackerjack to name but a few?
  • leeCal
    edited September 2020
    Hawaii five o. Highway patrol. And what about Adam Adamant. The val Doonican show, complete with comfy jumper and rocking chair. Tales of the unexpected with Roald Dahl.

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness