**** this - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

**** this

13»

Comments

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    I'd like to offer a link to a means of support 24/7 . Please don't feel offended you can use it anytime.
    Email: jo@samaritans.org

You will be in control of what you tell them.and if you want to end the call and recall you can do that. They will listen and offer support.

Best Wishes 
  • WorldsoldestNEET
    WorldsoldestNEET Posts: 42 Listener
    Not getting involved with Samaritans again.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @WorldsoldestNEET

Is there anything that I can doooooo???

@steve51

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    Not getting involved with Samaritans again.

?
    Best Wishes 
  • WorldsoldestNEET
    I'm not saying changing advisors would solve the problem. But I don't see anyone else coming up with any solutions.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @WorldsoldestNEET How are you today?  I hope you've had a nice morning, have you been up to much?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Well, I've learned a new acronym from your screen name... 

Do you mind saying which age bracket you're in?  Are you currently getting help from a work coach on UC?  What sort of job are you after?

Staff on here have a duty of care to keep you 'safe' and some members will be concerned about any mention of suicide.  But I agree, Samaritans etc can't offer much other than distractions or the reasons they want to live...which isn't the same for all of us and not of much help to those of us with constant suicidal ideations.  It's really designed for people with sudden, brief intent that will pass...  It sounds more like you need a lifestyle change to me...whether that's a job or a hobby or whatever you'd like...
  • WorldsoldestNEET
    I'm 29 - but may as well be 16 for all I've achieved, I don't have a work coach and I want the kind of job that pays money and I'm treated like a human being at. And yes I would like a hobby, but I'm dirt poor so WAYGD?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @WorldsoldestNEET You are still young from where I'm sitting  :)

You mentioned earlier you were interested in a career involving wellbeing, I think that would be a great way to use your lived experiences.  Have you thought about returning to college/university to train in anything particular or is that something you wouldn't fancy?

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @WorldsoldestNEET, I can appreciate the issues somewhat and as for working my son is 25 and has always worked until Covid, now he cannot get back to work as the work he was doing is still banned (I think). He chose a different profession at the wrong time. He, btw, is completely healthy, so it isn't just us.

I also understand why Samaritans isn't always a good idea. The problem is that everyone is completely anonymous to them as they are not allowed to keep records or notes. Therefore, every time you contact them, you have to start from the beginning and that can be depressing in itself. Not only do they not keep records they cannot help in any way, all you can do is talk and that isn't always helpful. You could try the Crisis line as they do keep records and have access to our records and call others to help as well. Usually the number is different in different areas but often an 0330 number.

At 29 you are still young enough to have options especially if your problems aren't visible. It seems better not to tell them unless you have to when applying for jobs as some don't want the hassle and assume it will be worse than you say, even if you are completely honest. Unfortunately most are not, hence the assumption. I once went on a free dating site and was honest about my disability but using bulletin boards there were 4 women who had not declared so who admitted in an argument about disabled dating. All 4 then made new profiles to hide it again. Complete honesty is in short supply, which is why I come here rather than go elsewhere.

Patience is very necessary in a poor job market and even the government understand this. After all they are offering help to those who might be made homeless by lacking a job rather than them turn to Social Housing and Benefits. Just try to realize that it isn't necessarily you, it could be just that there aren't enough jobs especially as some work is still banned.

I'm too old and too ill to work, I've just had to accept it.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • WorldsoldestNEET
    edited September 2020
    I'd just get bullied by teachers agian, so **** school. I wanted to put videogames on shelves for £5 and hour, but even that was asking to much from this stupid country.
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    I'm sorry to hear you were bullied by teachers. If school is too difficult for you, there are alternative ways of education. I recognise your genderqueer flag, I'm the same. If this was the cause of you being bullied then you could look for somewhere that has a good standard of equality. There's an award called the equalities award that recognises equality, so you can actually find institutions/programs that are really good against discrimination that way (which works for both gender and disability). So any place with that award you can be confident is very good for diversity, inclusion and equality in all forms.
    Or, because of covid, there's a lot of online stuff now so you could do it online without having to meet teachers in person.
    You could also email the institution/program saying "I was bullied by teachers before and I'm concerned and skeptical it'll happened again and this is stopping me from moving forward in my life. Can you assure me that this will not happen to me" and see what happens.

Some teachers being bullies does not mean they all are. I appreciate that's how it seems to you that they all are but there are some really kind, good teachers out there and I want you to be able to find kind people in your life that can help you move forward.
  • WorldsoldestNEET
    edited September 2020
    Can't afford education anyway so it's moot. But thanks for agknowlaging that teachers can be bullies too. If anything I got more greif from teachers than I did students from yr 7 onward. It's entirely possible it may've ****** me up for life.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm 29 - but may as well be 16 for all I've achieved, I don't have a work coach and I want the kind of job that pays money and I'm treated like a human being at. And yes I would like a hobby, but I'm dirt poor so WAYGD?
    We were at school around the same time then...  I'd like to hope things have changed a bit since then!

I'm not sure many first time/low paid jobs treat people as human beings unfortunately, but one that pays money should be doable.  If you don't have a work coach, are you signed off for health reasons on ESA or with LWRCA on UC?  Have you thought about self-employment - gardening or window cleaning for example?

Obviously the income from a job would help with more expensive hobbies, but they don't all have to be expensive...you can do a bit of photography with a smartphone around your local area.  Obviously I don't know what you like or what your restrictions might be (other than money) to advise of anything specifically but I'm sure there must be something.
  • WorldsoldestNEET
    I couldn't be self-employed. I don't have any specific skills or ideas that society is ready for.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Window cleaning is simple once you master the squeegee and that can be done in around twenty minutes on your own window pane. Window cleaning also doesn’t need to take up a whole day either, so plenty of time left to chill. If you start on bungalows you only need a pair of short steps, bucket etc. Best wishes.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness