Finally got my renewal assessment... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Finally got my renewal assessment...

jimdave19832
jimdave19832 Community member Posts: 20 Listener

So after sending back renewal forms in December and delay after delay, I finally have an assessment date - next Wednesday and it’s via telephone…? 

Couple issues given I struggle to speak on the phone, my Mum is working so cannot be with me to assist and I am worried sick to death given how can they do an assessment over the phone?! I am adamant they will interpret things completely different and/or make stuff up as per their last assessment.

I just can’t get my head around having a phone appointment for something so important and personal. 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimdave19832

I understand your apprehension at the thought of having an assessment over phone.  The prospect of one face to face can be equally daunting and these are difficult circumstances we are all having to adjust to.

Many of our members have had telephone assessments and described them being okay and not as bad as feared.  We also have some Success stories that might give you added hope.  

Make sure to inform the assessor upfront that you find it difficult speaking on the phone so they are aware.  I have my fingers crossed for you, please keep us updated.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    @jimdave19832
    @Cher_Scope has given you some great advice and a link to success stories. Please take time to read through them and I hope they might help put your mind at ease for your assessment. 
    I had mine back in mar and to be honest I had same thoughts and apprehensions as yourself,  but on the day the lady who phoned me was polite, pleasant and not at all rude unlike the first one when it was face to face..if given the choice I'd rather have a phone assessment. 
    Good luck with yours and please do post back with an update of how it went.
    Best wishes

Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Face to face assessments are still suspended and there's no indication of when they are going to resume again.

I understand just how scary a phone assessment is as a lot of people can't speak on the phone. Although your fear about contradictions and not being fairly assessed will always be a worry for everyone, even for face to face assessments.

However, the telephone assessments are going extremely well and even more people are being successfully awarded than before Covid and that's a very good thing.

As always, wait a week after the assessment and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, If you live in the UK. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jimdave19832 I am glad you have now got a date for your assessment but understand your anxious about the call.

Follow the advice given above and fingers crossed you will be fine. 

Try and put it out of your mind but make sure you are prepared as said above have a read through your form before so you remember what you put 

Good luck  fingers crossed for you
  • jimdave19832
    Thanks for your messages guys.

Just finished my telephone renewal assessment. 1 hour 34 minutes long so quite exhausted!

Seemed to go well and pleasent enough.

Didn't ask me if I could walk between certain amount of meters but assume that would have been covered within other answers I gave about mobility.

Here's hoping
  • ernie2009
    ernie2009 Community member Posts: 167 Pioneering
    hopefully all has gone well for you . i have my assessment next wed 8am.
  • jimdave19832
    ernie2009 said:
    Good luck chap. 
  • janer1967
    Glad it went ok just the wait now for the decision, dont forget you can request your report after about 7 days to gier some indication what the assessor has recommended
  • jimdave19832
    janer1967 said:
    Glad it went ok just the wait now for the decision, dont forget you can request your report after about 7 days to gier some indication what the assessor has recommended
    Thank you! I think I'm just going to wait it out as prob get worked up if report is wrong  :#
  • janer1967
    I can understand that fingers crossed and let us know the outcome
  • ernie2009
    ernie2009 said:
    Good luck chap. 
    thanks so much jim
  • Cher_Alumni
    @jimdave19832 I'm glad you have had your telephone assessment and it wasn't as bad as feared.  Lots of luck for the outcome and for now try to relax and make sure to talk to us if you have any worries.

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • jasperbear
    jasperbear Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi just had a telephone assessment about my pip renewal completely out of the blue, no appointment,  you were lucky they let you know in advance.  It's set my anxiety of big time 
  • jimdave19832
    Hi just had a telephone assessment about my pip renewal completely out of the blue, no appointment,  you were lucky they let you know in advance.  It's set my anxiety of big time 
    Jesus that's not good. Sorry to hear as that must have been so hard for you being unprepared and also not mentally prepared.

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    That is scary...I thought they had to at least give a little notice...hope it turns out well for you.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @jasperbear Oh heck, that isn't good.  I'm sorry that got sprung on you.  How did you find the assessment?  

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger

Did you receive a review form to fill out and return for this? If you gave a mobile number on the form then usually they send you texts to remind you of the assessment date/time. Didn't you receive anything at all?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jasperbear
    jasperbear Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    It was a bit scary, asking what medication I am on and who prescribed it, do I go shopping and what aids do I use. All things that we put in the renewal form. I was so unprepared and by myself 
  • ernie2009
    hopefully the end result will all be worth it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @jasperbear It sounds like you were caught completely off-guard.  I'm not surprised it made you anxious.  Well done for getting through it.  Try to relax now and I wish you the very best of luck with the outcome.  Keep us updated.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.