Does anyone have any tips on how to lose weight? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any tips on how to lose weight?

13»

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jordan_90

The NHS have a weight loss program with a plan that you can download here > https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/ This is designed so you lose weight safely and don't end up hungry all the time!

I personally find, like @leeCal, that walking regularly helps me lose a few pounds.  I did it a lot during lockdown and want to get back into the habit.  It's brilliant for mental health too and its good exploring and finding new places in your local area!  Well done you for deciding to do something about your weight :)

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jordan_90

No probs, I will start having a look & I will keep you posted.

@steve51
  • Jordan_90
    Jordan_90 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    @steve51 thank you so much 
  • steve51
    Hi @Jordan_90

Just found one for you.

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/healthy-living/chair-exercises-and-limited-mobility-fitness.htm

Please let me know if it’s any good?????

I can carry on looking for you if you need?

@steve51  
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I second the article that @steve51 has sent @Jordan_90! I helped run some chair-based yoga, tai chi, dance, and aerobics sessions last year and everyone seemed to really enjoy them :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Jordan_90
    Jordan_90 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    Awesome thanks 
  • steve51
    Hi @Tori_Scope @Jordan_90

Yes I have done Yoga & Tia Chi & I used go swimming once a week when I was a client at “Headway”

But as my health deteriorated these all came to a grinding halt. 

“Shame”

@steve51
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The simple way to lose weight is to just eat and drink less. Almost everybody in this country eats too much and drinks too much alcohol and it is why we are being overrun with Diabetes and even some Cancer's are related to weight. Dieting is useless because people lose the weight then go back to what they did before and put it back on. It has to be a life change. Another point is that portions now are simply too large. In the last decade or two portion sizes have increased by 25% so just reduce them or don't eat it all.

Exercise is good for the body but doesn't contribute much to weight loss although it will help keep a person toned and looking better if they are losing weight as it tightens up muscles and turns fat into muscle. Remember though that if you stop exercising then the muscle goes to fat so it isn't something to cut down on after doing well.

Do not artificially cut things out (like meals) because you simply send the body into conservation mode and any benefit is offset by tiredness. Eating healthy can help but again it's benefit for weight loss is overrated. However, it's benefit for a healthy body can be immense.

I lost a lot of weight when I simply couldn't prepare meals properly or eat them before they got cold, so I ate less and didn't eat so much in between meals and over 6 or 7 years lost a massive amount of body fat. I don't now and never have eaten healthy food and I can barely walk and have taken 20+ tablets a day for more years than I can remember so eating and drinking less really does work but it MUST be a permanent change. It is very easy to use such things as an excuse when really it's just hard to not eat and drink so much. Try not to make excuses because it only makes losing weight harder. Be honest with yourself about it.

Always remember though, eating with others will tend to encourage you to eat more to be social and often people will ask if you are ok if you keep leaving stuff on the plate. You have to be strong and ignore such comments or make a joke out of it or maybe poke fun back.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Tori_Scope
    edited August 2020
    That is a shame @steve51 :( Have you been able to pick up anything new? 

• Tori_Scope
    You're right about not cutting out meals @Topkitten, and that consistency is key!

• dowhatyoucant
    dowhatyoucant Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    Hi @Jordan_90 I saw your post and wanted to just add a few tidbits here...

Cutting out meals is actually a perfectly safe way to reduce caloric intake (which is how weight it lost). Going off the example of 3 meals a day, cutting out either breakfast or dinner at first (which takes time and usually starts with reducing the meal's size and a few weeks later completely removing it) is perfectly healthy and actually the only way to tap into our body's self-cleaning function called "autophagy" - great thing to learn about if you wanna read up on. But after seeing success and training your body to go those extra few hours a day without food you'll eventually be able (if you want to accelerate progress) to remove a second meal a day (or at least reduce its size) IF you want to. I don't recommend eating anything less than 1 meal a day, but it is in fact possible and perfectly healthy when you've allowed your body to adjust to going longer without food.

Exercise, while true that you won't burn "that" many calories from a workout, is still critical to maintaining a normal metabolism, but even more critical to maintain basic human health. Here in the States I go by the American College of Sports Medicine's most recent physical activity guidelines for adults that reports persons of nearly every age need 75-150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise a week, 2-3 days of resistance training for each major muscle group, 2-3 days of flexibility work, and 2-3 days of neuromotor training (agility, balance, etc.) each week. These obviously require doing some/all on the same days of the week, but that's what research has shown to be the MINIMUM required activity just to MAINTAIN a healthy body. When you think about how few people actually meet these activity requirements, it becomes more apparent why so many people struggle with weight, especially when food landscapes facilitate over-consumption as others have mentioned here.

All that is to say, reduce caloric intake over time, increase activity over that same time, and you'll certainly see continued progress in the long-run (don't fret over a week or two of stalled progress, focus on the month-to-month at a rate of ~2-3kg/month).

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them! Best of luck
    Ben C.
    CSCS/CPT/SNS
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,337 Disability Gamechanger
    I wouldn't recommend skipping meals to lose weight... https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/ten-weight-loss-myths/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness