Let's talk tech, what gadgets and gizmos do you like the most? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let's talk tech, what gadgets and gizmos do you like the most?

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:
    I do like tech in cars though...cruise control is one thing that massively helps me continue to drive with my conditions, can't imagine driving a car without it now!
    I was never really into tech in cars but after having certain technology I don’t know if I could do without it now!

My car has a feature where if you come off the brake pedal it holds the brakes for 3 seconds or until you pull away - nice for a hill start. I’ve now almost forgotten how to use the handbrake as the car tells you off if you use it while moving/trying to move i.e. for a hill start so I don’t know what I’ll do if I get back into a car without the feature now :D
    Haha, yes Hill Start Assist!  Have you got an electronic handbrake or the conventional lever?  I haven't had a car with an electronic handbrake yet, but it's looking very likely for my next car...I'm sure that'll take some getting used to after 10 years of a mechanical lever!  :D

It’s still an old fashioned lever but I have found if you try to use it for doing a hill start a warning noise goes off and a message pops up saying “handbrake engaged” or something like that. I’m glad I never learnt to do handbrake turns as it could get annoying then :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Cress said:
    I love my ipad...would never go back to using PC or laptop...and I dont need to try and fit a desk and chair anywhere to accommodate it.
    Completely useless with tech..when I got my first PC I remember getting endless pop ups asking is such a thing secure? Or such a thing is trying to gain access is that ok?
    How the hell would I know!?
    No more scanning for viruses and waiting an age for it to boot up and update each day...lol
    I think those sorts of things confuse even those of us who would call ourselves tech savy, so rest assured you're not alone there :D 

I'm glad you find your iPad to be very helpful, do you use it for much? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I too love my iPad! When I finished uni (and my laptop sadly died) I did loads of research and ended up choosing an ipad with a keyboard rather than a new laptop. It means it's much more portable and means I can still do everything I did on my laptop. :)
    Scope

• Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    That's the beauty of tablets these days @Chloe_Scope, I have a Samsung tablet with a keyboard and I can do almost anything on it that I'd use a laptop for. Plus, the interface on a mobile or tablet type device is simpler and more compatible with screen readers I find.

The portability and smaller form factor can't be ignored as well as you mention there. It's much easier to sit in bed watching YouTube on a tablet, than holding a bulky laptop on my knees :D 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Completely agree @Ross_Scope! Prior to covid, I was always on trains and used that time to write, this was significantly easier with an iPad then it was with a MacBook!
    Scope

• Tommyb92
    Tommyb92 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    I can totally relate about Apple products I prefer them over windows not used any other OS though other than the two of them I just find Apple are easier to deal with 

<code><a href="https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/lgbtdisability</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/tombyford</a> <br><a href="https://www.facebook.com/tombyford" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/tombyford</a><br>http://www.twitter.com/lgbtdisability

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope, that's a point..... I have a Chromebook as well which I use when I want more security.

@66Mustang, in theory you could run all the old programs concurrently so long as the coding is Windows friendly (which it often wasn't). What most people don't realize is that the PC was designed to run in 64k of memory and, for backwards compatibility, still does. However, you never see this as Windows does the translation and mostly uses the 64k of lowest memory to transfer data as it did originally and the screen area is basically not used at all and is managed by the graphics card with data to it going through base memory. It is Windows that handles multi processor access and background programs and memory usage but they don't call it Bloatware for nothing. Any program that used to be about and is still around has been bloated up and takes more memory and various other things than they used to. Don't forget though that I started in the Computer Industry before the PC existed and well before Windows. Back then we always agreed both would never last or amount to much, lol! Everything we did was from the CLI (Command Line Interpreter) and was text only and even the first versions of Windows had to be started that way. It wasn't really until Windows 3.1.1 that it started with the computer and we all hated it :smile:.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • 66Mustang
    edited September 2020
    @Topkitten really interesting, thanks for the explanation :)

I had a friend as a young child (in maybe 1999) who was quite smart and had an early computer which seemed similar to what you describe. He had a game called Bio Menace (I think?) and you had to run it by typing in commands.
  • 66Mustang
    I’m surprised no one has yet commented on smart watches. I have been considering one for a while now but am yet to pull the trigger on one (partly because I’m really into traditional mechanical watches and not sure I’d want to give them up!). I’d be interested to hear any reviews or experiences. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Ah good to hear you also use a Chromebook @Topkitten, it's a great point about the additional security. As an operating system Chrome OS still has it's flaws, but it's getting better by the year, soon enough it will be a viable alternative for both personal and business use.

I was literally about to bring smartwatches up before seeing your comment @66Mustang! :D I've had one for about 18 months and to be honest I've found a lot of the features to be quite gimmicky, and after a couple of years use I'm finding I have to charge it almost daily which isn't convenient for a watch. It has some good uses though like for quickly setting timers and alarms, or controlling my phone's playing media from my wrist, and having the Google assistant there when I'm out and about.

• 66Mustang
    Thanks for that @Ross_Scope. Yes I can see what you mean about the features being a bit gimmicky and can imagine it being a bit of a bind having to charge it every day.

Good to hear that some of the features are useful though :smile:

A family member does have one and if I understand it correctly he can make his phone make a noise by tapping something on his watch - quite handy if you lose your phone!
  • 66Mustang
    edited September 2020
    Does anybody know if the map apps on a phone work without internet?

I may be going to the Scottish highlands and there might not be any 3G or 4G in some areas. My Motability car does not have a sat nav (it was a £900 optional extra) so we are stuck using the phone as a sat nav.

Thanks if anybody knows!! :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Hey @66Mustang, hope you're well today :) 

Yeah you can do that with a smartwatch, in my experience the only issue with it is that it makes your phone ring at maximum volume, which helps find it, but it can't be good for the neighbours :D  You can either press the button to find your phone or say "find my phone" to whatever voice assistant the watch has. 

Smart speakers like Alexa and Google Home have that functionality as well.

Regarding maps, I know that with Google Maps you can download them for offline use. I've not used the feature, but I have the map for my hometown downloaded just in case I ever need it. It doesn't take up too much storage.

Hope this helps.

• 66Mustang
    @Ross_Scope sorry I missed your post when you posted it! Thanks a lot for the info though. I will have to have a go with the offline Google maps to see how it works. :)

I came back to this thread to ask if anyone is watching the Apple event that’s on right now? They have just announced the Apple Watch 6 and there are maybe more products to come - maybe an iPad.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Yeah I caught up with the new products @66Mustang, crazy what tech can now do! I love the look of the new iPad Air, and the fact it seems to have all the functionality of the iPad Pro.
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    @Chloe_Scope Yes the iPad Air does look that way, I am now wondering what the new iPad Pro will do!!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Yeah, it'll be good to compare the two models @66Mustang
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    I have my eye on a new iPad but just the basic £329 one.

A family member got a new phone and kindly gave me their old one to trade in to Apple - I may get up to £90. Also another family member is eligible to get me the Blue Light discount so I should save a little bit more. :)

Here is a picture of my current iPad, I think you will agree is due an upgrade!

Mine is a 5th generation iPad and the new one is 8th generation so should be quite a bit improved.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Blimey @66Mustang what happened there!?  Looks like you've driven over it!  :#

I hate any sort of damage myself, even the smallest scratch sets me off...but it means that after a few years, I end up with pristine looking items that no longer carry out their primary function!   :D

Also, I've always been interested to know, can you get cut from swiping a cracked touch screen?
  • 66Mustang
    I actually don’t know how it happened, one day I just woke up and it was in my bed and cracked. I would guess I fell asleep on it and maybe leant on it with an elbow or something but really no clue!

I don’t think a simple crack on a screen would give you a cut as long as part of the screen hasn’t come away and both parts of the screen are still flush. The edges of my iPad where the glass has come out are quite sharp though.

I used to worry about scratches and things but learnt that they will just happen so you have to accept them. I guess the good thing about your attitude though @OverlyAnxious is that you have a decent trade-in value when it’s time to change? Or did you mean that you keep them so long they become obsolete? Hehe

On the topic of scratches family member is the compete opposite, they work outdoors and whenever they get a new piece of equipment, especially PPE like a helmet, they scrape it on the floor and jump on it so it looks used!! Apparently it’s frowned upon to have pristine PPE haha.

Brightness