Hidden Disabilities Blue Badge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hidden Disabilities Blue Badge

Kittyc
Kittyc Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
edited September 2020 in Transport and travel
Has anyone been successful in getting a blue badge for hidden disabilities.  I have severe hearing loss and also anxiety and depression.  I did score 10 in PIP but that was for an unfamiliar journey.  I've been knocked over a few times by cyclist and had a few near misses.  Not sure I am safe to cross the road or car park.  Before anyone asks,,,, yes deaf people can drive :)  x any helpful answers 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community Have you tried applying for the blue badge or just asking if you think you could get one.

Each council has different criteria so it would be hard to compare yourself to others but I understand you are trying to find out what other people think.

I am sure some members will respond, I have a blue badge but that is for physical disabilities, so not sure how it works for non visible
  • Kittyc
    janer1967 said:
    Hi and welcome to the community Have you tried applying for the blue badge or just asking if you think you could get one.

Each council has different criteria so it would be hard to compare yourself to others but I understand you are trying to find out what other people think.

I am sure some members will respond, I have a blue badge but that is for physical disabilities, so not sure how it works for non visible
    No just thinking about it.  Not applied yet but just feeling a bit unsafe.  I am fine in the car it is when I get outside lol into traffic! lol 
  • Kittyc
    Actually you have to laugh but I have nearly been hit twice by mobility scooters.  I think with more and more electric cars you just can't hear them at all. 

• janer1967
    I agree being nearly blind it is hard too

Is there any information on your council website around their criteria for eligibility may be worth a look and that is where you would apply
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Mine are hidden until I try to move.
    I did a renewal a few weeks ago and it's all on a web form on the central UK gov. website these days.
    It said the qualifying result would be sent to the relevant county (or borough, in London) council.

There were a few simple questions about ease of walking but it doesn't ask why you have limits. So the form doesn't differentiate between physical and mental. There was nothing like PIP where you have to "say the right thing" in order to be treated fairly.
  • Kittyc
    I just rang them up and it is all very grey.  thanks for the comments.  Hope you get on markmywords
    I might have a look at the form.  Hearing loss often gets missed out of the hidden disabilities.  I got a disabled rail and bus pass but need someone with me if I go on the public transport when we get back to normality. x
  • janer1967
    I would just apply and see how you get on you dont have anything to lose
  • Kittyc
    Think I might if it saves me getting run over.  As you say they can only say no x  thanks guys for your help x
  • janer1967
    It wont stop you getting run over but will allow you to park nearer buildings and things.

But not all disabled parking spaces are situated with no risk, the other day we went into one got into my wheelchair and found there was no drop down kerb, so I had to go into the road in my  chair until I found one so I could get onto the pavement
  • Kittyc
    janer1967 said:
    It wont stop you getting run over but will allow you to park nearer buildings and things.

But not all disabled parking spaces are situated with no risk, the other day we went into one got into my wheelchair and found there was no drop down kerb, so I had to go into the road in my  chair until I found one so I could get onto the pavement
    Oh my word be careful.  I thought they should have drop kerbs.  At least it might help with me in the dark and the local supermarket car park.  

Thanks for your helpful comments.  I tried to ask on a fb forum and got told that I shouldnt be driving and was quite unethnical considering it was a disabled forum lol 
  • janer1967
    This is a great forum you are not judged and we are all friendly and helpful 

Let us know the outcome 
  • Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Kittyc said:
    I just rang them up and it is all very grey.  thanks for the comments.  Hope you get on markmywords
    I might have a look at the form.  Hearing loss often gets missed out of the hidden disabilities.  I got a disabled rail and bus pass but need someone with me if I go on the public transport when we get back to normality. x

Oh I got it, thanks. It was quick too. I think the councils are grateful they don't have to assess it themselves if they don't want to.

In future, badge holders will not be sent renewal reminders !

Be Aware !
  • Kittyc
    That is good to hear and I have applied.  Sent in a huge amount of paperwork to evidence my mental health issues relating to hearing loss too.  I've also already got a disability bus and rail pass and access card.  Thanks guys for being understand and helpful xxx 
  • Kittyc
    I've just had to send the hidden disabilities to a health and social care person.  I have a social worker in a sensing team so keep your fingers crossed.  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Fingers crossed @Kittyc, let us know how you get on :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness