Hi, my name is shabana18! I am contacting you on regarding my daughter, who has had an Assesment. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is shabana18! I am contacting you on regarding my daughter, who has had an Assesment.

shabana18
shabana18 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My daughter has been off work for two years due to an operation that went wrong. She has crohns and has been suffering with it for over 10 years. She has tried he best to have a job and was managing in pain but after the removal of her rectum and her large intestine she has gone down hill physically and mentally and two years on she still has an open wound and still suffering severe pain every day. So she has not recovered. 
She had an over the phone Assesment last month and has been told for the second time she is does not qualify for the pip. I see he in pain and Suffering. I try to help her I everyday activities as much as I possibly can. But the rejection of recognising her disability had hit her hard. It’s mentally tearing her apart, Her gp referred her to a physiologist, who has recognised her to have PTSD. I am very concerned. I feel this disease is not recognised and cannot be Assessed over the phone. And people cannot judge by just talking over the phone. I do not know how to help her. Is there any information I can get to help my child. Please can you reply to my request. 
Thank you 
<moderator removed - personal details>

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community I am sorry to heat about your daughter

PIP isnt about a diagnosis more about how the condition affects day to day living against the descriptors

You have 1 month from the decision to put in a Mandatory reconsideration, you should do this in writing looking at each of the descriptors and where you think she should score points

Give real examples of what happens when she tries to do the task, any help she needs, any aids. If she cant do it why cant she and what happens if she tries

There are lots of posts about this in our PIP section have a read and it will give you a good idea on how to progress 

If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shabana18

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am very very sorry to hear about your daughter’s current struggles.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

We have got a number of senior members & I will forward your post onto them straightaway.

Hi @Adrian_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope
    @Tori_Scope
    @poppy123456

Can you please help me with this post???

Many thanks.

@steve51
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hello @shabana18 and welcome to the online community.  I'm so glad you found us!

For your info I have moved your post over to our PIP, DLA and AA board so it's in a better place to get good advice.

As someone with Crohn's, I can empathise with what you are going through.  Is your daughter getting support for her PTSD?  The emotional side of having IBD can often go unattended so it's great that she has received a diagnosis and will be able to access services.

The Crohn's and Colitis UK (CCUK) website has a great 'Claiming PIP' webpage that guides you through the PIP process and responding to each question.  I highly recommend you take a look as it's a resource specific to Crohn's disease and Ulcerative colitis.  

CCUK can also help you with requesting a mandatory reconsideration.  Their website advises:
     PIP-trained volunteers from the Crohn’s & Colitis UK Disability Benefit Service can help you understand how to ask for a mandatory reconsideration. Call our Information Line on 0300 222 5700 to make an appointment with one of our volunteers. Appointments are arranged in advance and can last for up to 30 mins.

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

You mention that she tries hard to do a job, do you mean work? If so then PIP isn't about not being able to work, it's also not about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you're ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors.

You also said that this is her 2nd refusal. May i ask if after the first refusal that she requested the MR and then Tribunal? If she didn't, was there any reasons why?

To constantly re-apply using the same evidence she previously used will very likely see constant refusals. For this reason her next step is the Mandatory Reconsideration followed by Tribunal if the MR decision doesn't change. I strongly advise her to do this rather than to constantly start more new claims.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shabana18
    Hi poppy, yes I meant work. Because she was on d living allowance for years and then she got a job. So when every thing was switched to pip she didn’t continue with getting help. And then he health deteriorated after a year and a half and she had to have this opp. And she has been off for two years now. 
    After her first refusal she didn’t go for MR because I we didn’t know what to do next. We were just told to reapply in 6months and that’s what we did. And now she had been refused agin and she’s devastated that they don’t believe her. And I want to step in and help her as this situation is effecting her physically and mentally. Thank you for ur advise. What do I do first 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2020

She needs to state where and why she thinks she should have scored those points. Then add a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to her.

She can also see if she can get some expert advice, for this start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • shabana18
    Thank you poppy, I will try the websites and see what kinda help I can get. I’ve left it abit late but have not past the month date so I need to fill the m r form out tomorrow the lates 
  • poppy123456
    You have 13 months to request the MR, not 1 month like they tell you. Same as a Tribunal.
  • shabana18
    Ok so I got my refusal latter august 2020. So I have time. I will call them tomorrow and fill in the form and send it to them too. Thank you so much for ur help. I really appreciate it. I will be intouch and let u know my progress. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @shabana18, just wanted to check in to see if you managed to call them. :)
    Scope

• shabana18
    Hi Chloe, yes I spoke to someone and told them I wanted to go for the mandatory r, and she said I had a month from that day to get in touch with why. So me and my daughter have completed the form and going to send it to them tomorrow. I hope it works out. She was distressed just going through it with me. But it had to be done. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry that she found it distressing, but at least it's done now @shabana18 :) Good luck, and let us know how it goes. We've got our fingers crossed for you. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    I hope you are doing okay now @shabana18, I'm glad your daughter was able to help. How are you doing today?
    Scope

• shabana18
    I’m ok thanks, just been attending my diabetes prevention class on line. Need to be careful with my diet because I think I am on the boarder line to getting type two diabetes. So I have been a little concerned 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I imagine this has been a worry @shabana18. How have you been finding the online course? It's great that you are accessing the course, was this advised by a GP?
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.