Fit Note Requests Making Me Ill — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fit Note Requests Making Me Ill

MoochingMinnie
MoochingMinnie Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hello Everyone,

Thanks to these forums, I qualified for New Style ESA (cont-based) from Jan 2020 to Jan 2021. My GP is providing fortnightly fit notes that I have to request each time (since January). 

Having to request these fit notes every fortnight, with all the anxiety and worry this creates, is making me worse (I am unfit for work due to mental health issues).  If I don't get ESA, I can't pay my rent, and this is terrifying.

The DWP have written to me and if I don't get a fit note to them by 17/09, they state that I will have to undergo a medical assessment with them.  My current fit note ran out 14/09 and my GP hasn't responded to my online fit note request (I have to ring every time for them to send it to me).

Is there any way around this?  Does anyone have any knowledge about requesting a longer term fit note?  I just can't face doing this for another 5 months, it's really wearing me down.

All advice/information will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Milly

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MoochingMinnie and thanks for telling us about your situation.

If your GP surgery is anything like mine I imagine they will be really busy and that's probably contributing to the delay you are experiencing.  

Is your GP aware that you experience heightened anxiety around requesting your fit-note?  If not, would you be comfortable requesting a telephone appointment to explain the situation so they could work to better accommodate your need.  

I appreciate it isn't easy when you have anxiety but your GP is there to support you through this.  

Please keep us updated with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome you really need to speak to your GP, they can supply fit notes for a longer period of time

It also may not b e a bad thing to have the medical assessment as this could result in your being assessed by DWP as not fit for work and then you dont have to send in fit notes anymore

The assessment process will involve completing a form then an assessment (currently phone assessment) then a decisionmaker will make a decision

If you have any further questions just ask
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

You will need to continue to send those fit notes until you're assessed for the work capability assessment and a decision's been made on your claim. If you don't continue to send them then your ESA will stop.

Can you ask your GP to write you a fit note for a long period of time? This will save having to contact them every 2 weeks because that's really not long at all. I'm sure most people would become very stressed if they had to continue to do this.

You also said that you need your ESA payments to pay your rent. May i ask if you're living with a working partner? Have you put all of your details into a benefits calculator to check entitlement to Universal Credit? The housing element can be paid to help with your rent but whether you're entitled to anything will depend on your circumstances.

Your ESA will be deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 then you're excluded from claiming. Savings of more than £6,000 will see a reduction of £4.35 per month for every £250 over that amount.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not quite the same but I had a similar issue a few years ago.  The GP that had been sorting my ESA forms left the surgery and the new one I was given had absolutely no understanding of my issues, despite them presumably all being on the system. 

They basically said they wouldn't complete their side of the ESA form without me visiting the surgery.  I suffer from agoraphobia, social anxiety, contamination OCD and major fears around anything medical...so a surgery visit was impossible for me at that time.  I'd sent emails and letters trying to explain this but they were either ignored or purposely dismissed.

In the end I was forced into another DWP assessment which I obviously had no choice in, but a jobcentre visit was slightly easier than a surgery visit so it was the lesser of two evils.  That was over 2.5 years ago, the assessor couldn't understand why my GP was being so awkward as the problems I had were obvious.  I haven't had to go through another assessment since!  If at all possible, I'd suggest getting the work capability assessment done asap so you can stop having to request the fit notes.  :)
  • MoochingMinnie
    Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your kind replies, they're very much appreciated.  Apologies for the delay in getting back to you all, I had a significant mental health wobble.  Thankfully, I've now been provided ongoing support from my local NHS community mental health team.

Further to your replies, how do I request the WCA?  I am utterly, utterly terrified of contacting the DWP by phone and have been putting it off for months.  However, my ESA (cont-based) is due to end on 16.01.2020 and time is marching on.

Someone told me that if I'm placed in the ESA Support Group my ESA (cont-based) won't stop and will continue until I'm better. Is this true?  

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Milly
  • poppy123456
    You should have already received the work capability assessment form (ESA50) have you not received this? It looks like this..

If you have received this and filled it out and returned it then you can ring them to ask when to expect the assessment. Link here. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance-esa

For the work capability assessment most people usually have face to face assessments but because they are currently suspended telephone assessments have taken their place. If they can't get enough of information with the telephone assessment then you will need to wait for the face to face assessments to be back up and running again and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon.

Yes, if placed into the Support Group your money will continue for as long as you remain in that group.

In my previous comment i asked you about Universal Credit. Have you put your details into a benefits calculator to check entitlement to this? If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you live with a partner you need to claim as a couple.

Please use that benefits calculator because Universal Credit can include help with your rent payments.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MoochingMinnie
    Hello Poppy and thank you for your reply,

I haven't completed an ESA50, or had one sent to me.  The claim I made was entirely online during the first lockdown in March 2020 (backdated to January). All I've done is send my fit notes online and then I receive a text from DWP that they've received it and to confirm when the payment will go into my bank account.

Regarding UC, I've completed the benefits calculator and I'm not entitled to it due to savings (not easily accessible and requires a signature from an abusive relative I'm currently estranged from, another story entirely).  Currently, I'm entirely isolated (of my own making and in large part due to mental health issues) and live alone, have no family/friends/partner to ask for financial help if needed.

Is there any way I can request a paper WCA/ESA50 without speaking to the DWP over the phone?  Phoning the DWP is terrifying.

Kind regards,

Milly
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MoochingMinnie :) 

I hope you are safe from the abusive relative? You mention you are estranged from them but I just wanted to check.

Also, are you able to manage your mental health? Are you receiving support for it?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456

Is there any way I can request a paper WCA/ESA50 without speaking to the DWP over the phone?  Phoning the DWP is terrifying.

Kind regards,

Milly

You need to contact the Helath Assessment Advisory Service regarding the ESA50/work capability assessment form because they are the ones that deal with this, not DWP. Contact details for them is here. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/contact-us

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi there have you tried applying for pip ? I currently have pip that’s the only benefit I have due to my partners income . So I don’t know any thing bout other benefits . 

But I do recieve pip was wondering if you had applied for pip . Keep us all updated . 

Out of interested with contribution esa does it only last a certain amount of time ? 
  • poppy123456
    cupcake88 said:

Out of interested with contribution esa does it only last a certain amount of time ? 

It's New style ESA now and yes, it's only paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group and then it's paid as long as you remain in that group.
  • MoochingMinnie
    Hi Everyone,

It's too late. Just received a letter from the DWP that the ESA will end mid-January as I'll have had it for 365 days. They just tell me to claim UC (which I'm not entitled to). They never sent me the ESA50 form to complete. Never had a WCA.

In answer to those who asked, I'm currently being supported by a NHS Community Mental Health Practitioner and a Mental Health Support Worker who works for my local council. I've also been working with a NHS Occupational Health Therapist since October 2019 (after I had to resign from my job due to poor mental health).

To be honest, I'm scared and so tired of it all. No jobs to apply for, no income, unemployed, unemployable and mentally unwell.  Not looking good.

Best,

Milly

• poppy123456
    HI,

Have you contacted the health assessment advisory service to ask why you haven't been sent the work capability assessment form? I wouldn't advise ringing the DWP for this because they don't deal with those assessments.

Contact details for those are 0800 288 8777 email customer-relations@chdauk.co.uk

You said your savings are not easily accessable, is there anyone you can speak to ask for them to contact your relative? I think also that some expert advice is needed here regarding those savings. I don't know if it's possible to claim Universal Credit, if you can't access the savings, which is why further advice is needed. Start here for this. https://advicelocal.uk/

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you're receiving support from the mental health support workers @MoochingMinnie, I hope they help.

Advice Local is a great suggestion from Poppy, I would advise visiting that page and seeing if what they offer might be appropriate for you. 

Even though things might seem difficult at the moment, I'm sure they will get better soon, and of course the community will support as best as we can. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MoochingMinnie
    Hi Poppy,

Thank you for your very quick response (wasn't expecting a response so soon and went to bed straight after posting)!  

I've called the number you mentioned in your reply (0800 288 8777) and they said they'll send the form out and that it needs to be completed asap.  They couldn't answer whether or not a decision will be made before the claim is due to be stopped in mid-January and that it will be up to the DWP.  They just said mark the envelope as 'urgent' (scared to do this as it might annoy the DWP).  

After reading lots and lots of information on benefit advice websites last night, if they stop my ESA claim I won't be entitled to any other benefits due to the savings.  Had they sent the form earlier and I'd been placed in the Support Group they couldn't have stopped the ESA claim.  It's so very frustrating, anxiety-inducing and demoralising.

Regarding the savings, I'm trying to contact Citizens Advice/local advice services to see what they suggest (most places seem to be offering a reduced service, so it's slow going).  What worries me most is how long it might take to get access to the savings. In the meantime, my bills/rent/food need paying for. 

Thanks again for your responses, means a lot and is very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Milly
  • MoochingMinnie
    Hi Ross,

Thanks for your kind words, means a lot, especially being so isolated.  Without this website I don't think I'd have survived this long!

Best wishes,

Milly
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome,

They always blame DWP but DWP don't deal with the assessments. The work capability assessment form is sent straight to them, not to DWP. You will have 1 month to return it with all your evidence. When filling out the form you need to put as much relevant information about how your conditions affect you.

If they don't have enough of information to do a paper based assessment then it will likely be a telephone assessment. Once that's complete if they have enough of information they will write the report and send it back to DWP. If they can't get enough of information from this then you will need to wait for the face to face assessments to start back up again and this has happened to quite a few of our members here.

There's no timescales for how long it will take, it depends on backlog in your area.

Good luck.
  • MoochingMinnie
    One quick question.  In the letter it states: 'In order to continue being credited with National Insurance Contributions you may be required to provide medical evidence or attend Work Capability Assessments. We will tell you if you need to do this'.

Does this mean that they won't close/end my claim mid-January 2021?  If so, it might give me time to get the medical evidence (mental health support worker has offered to write a letter) and complete the form. Might be a longshot, but I'm obsessing over everything now  :(
  • poppy123456
    That will be to do with the work capability assessment form that you'll recieve soon. When your payments end, your claim won't just close because you haven't been assessed and no decision's been made yet. Once you've been assessed and a decision's made, if you're placed into the Support Group your payments will start back up again. You will also receive extra money from the 14th week of your claim.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad you're getting some help and advice from the community @MoochingMinnie :) Please remember that you can get involved in any conversations you fancy on here. Many of our members feel isolated at the moment, so please feel free to take a look through our virtual coffee lounge and get to know some of our other members.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.