Independence for Adults with a learning disability — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Independence for Adults with a learning disability

Options
Mel_R
Mel_R Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this awesome forum!!!

I am after your opinions please.  

As a parent, I absolutely know how hard it is to let your children  try things themselves, make mistakes and gain some independence.  As a parent of a person with a learning difficulty that job is sooo much harder!!  What I would like to know is what has helped you to create more independence for a person with a learning disability, particularly when they are adults that can still rely on you to do most things?  I know that sometimes when we stand back we can be truly amazed by what someone can achieve and I would like to know what has worked/not worked in creating as much independence as possible?  Thank you so much for any thoughts :)

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello @Mel_R and what a lovely first post you have made!

I think you would enjoy this Youtube video which is a recording of a talk given by Dr Pippa Murray in which she speaks about her experience of raising a disabled child.  In the talk, Pippa focuses on what can be achieved through thinking differently and I hope you will find it as uplifting as I did.  

Our learning difficulties discussion board could also be a good place for you to explore to see if others have touched upon building independence.  

I am sure many of our members will be along to share their thoughts soon but in the meantime know that we are here whenever you need us.  Be that to vent, scream, shout or laugh!  

Take care and I hope to see you about the community more  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Mel_R Welcome to the community glad you have joined us I dont really have any advice as this snt my area of expertise

I just wanted to welcome you and look forward to seeing you around
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Mel_R!

That's a fantastic question. I'm not a parent myself, but hopefully some other parents will be able to offer you some advice on this :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Mel_R
    Mel_R Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Cher_Scope  That youtube video should be watched by everyone on the planet!!!!  Absolutely awesome!!!!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mel_R, how are you getting along? 

I'm glad you enjoyed the video :)  

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness