I'm exempt from wearing a face covering - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm exempt from wearing a face covering

2»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Parrot123 said:

Wearing a face covering in shops and supermarkets in England is to become mandatory from 24 July. Those who fail to comply with the new rules will face a fine of up to £100.

However, some people are exempt from wearing a mask. 

Who is exempt from wearing a face covering?

There are also a series of factors which the Government describes as a “reasonable excuse”, which also means you don’t have to wear a mask:

• If you have a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability that means you cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering
    • If putting on, wearing or removing a face covering would cause you severe distress
    • If you are travelling with, or providing assistance to, someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
    • If you are travelling to avoid injury or escape the risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you
    • If you need to remove it during your journey to avoid harm or injury or the risk of harm or injury to yourself or others
    • If you need to eat, drink, or take medication you can remove your face covering
    • If you are asked to remove your face covering by a police officer or other official, for example to check your railcard
    • According to the website Autism Eye, these rules around “reasonable excuses” also cover passengers with autism.

What is a face covering exemption card?

If you cannot wear a mask it's a good idea to get an exemption card. This will give you quick and easy way of showing others and stop you from being fined. 

Those who are exempted from wearing a face mask will be asked to get a "face-covering exemption card".

The card is available to download for free on the TfL website.

Those exempt will be required to carry the card on their person while using public transport.

TfL will also recognise similar cards that may have been issued by other transport operators.

The card can also be displayed on a smartphone.

If you do not have a printer or a smartphone, you can contact TfL and they will print and post a card to you.

Some TfL staff may also use this card.

You can also find personalised exemption cards from Keep Safe. They give a brief explanation about why you are unable to wear a face covering. The sunflower lanyard system can allow people with a hidden disability to easily get support, they also have face covering exemption cards.

If you have any other suggestions or questions then please let us know!

Why apart from people with asthma and COPD patients. I'm a cancer patient and asthma but I wear a mask . Please save lives wear a mask. Ex nurse

My daughter is excempt because she has Autism. She also has social anxiety and going out is a huge task for her. I got her an exemption card because no way am i prepared to cause her any more anxiety than she already has.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    No I totally understand I worked with Autistic children. I loved it. Take care x
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    As of 14th September it became mandatory for us to wear masks in Wales. Thanks to Chloe putting a link on here for the sunflower lanyard system I now have an exemption card that I can use when I go into the shops. Thanks Chloe!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited December 2020
    Meh, I have the Sunflower Lanyard, waste of time IMO, the local Plod aren't trained to recognise it for one. Also, IMO I should be exempt from the masks because I have to take my hearing aid out to pull it off, but I've been told I'm not because according to the fools in government I don't have to lip read! False! I've lip read since I was 8!

Also, I have Asperger's, a form of Autism, so I reckon I should be exempt on those grounds as well no?

Brightness