PIP letter asking to phone them — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP letter asking to phone them

blue32
blue32 Community member Posts: 52 Connected
Hi my mother is on enhanced pip ( care )

She received yesterday a letter posted 5 weeks ago, informing her that her pip ends in December. Which she was aware of.

There was no form for to reapply just we need to ask you a few things if you wish to reapply... 

Her award was for 18 months that was just over a year ago. 

She is 67 and prior to this award was on DLA

Why no form? Thought that was standard why a few questions... Is this standard? Or trickery?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ernie2009
    ernie2009 Community member Posts: 167 Pioneering
    hi blue32, it might be because your mother has now reached retirement age. im 67 very soon so retired and about 12 wks ago recieved a letter from dwp stating now i had reached retirement age i had no end date to my pip award and dwp would contact me again 10 years after the start of my award just to see if i needed further help any changes etc. hopefully this is what your mothers letter is all about. 
  • blue32
    Thanks Ernie I hope so

When she was assessed last time she was at pension age and we thought she would get a 10 year pass

Her last assessment was at home desoide having no mobility issues.

The whole thing last time affected her badly even months later. She scored 17 points. 
  • ernie2009
    hi blue, as i said im 67 in 2 months and had my award almost 4 years ago but only 12 wks ago i got my letter stating now you have reached retirement age but id reached that a good 18 months previous lol. there are not many who dont get stressed about all this including myself but hopefully in your mums case a quick call and all will be sorted . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Was she awarded by a Tribunal? If she was then yes this is standard procedure and she needs to ring to start another claim because it ends in December.

Not everyone of state pension age gets a 10 year award. The changes will benefit pensioners whose personal circumstances are unlikely to change. If they think your circumstances could change then you won't have the 10 year award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ernie2009
    many thanks poppy i didnt realise this ,Not everyone of state pension age gets a 10 year award. The changes will benefit pensioners whose personal circumstances are unlikely to change. If they think your circumstances could change then you won't have the 10 year award. 

• poppy123456
    edited September 2020
    ernie2009 said:
    many thanks poppy i didnt realise this ,Not everyone of state pension age gets a 10 year award. The changes will benefit pensioners whose personal circumstances are unlikely to change. If they think your circumstances could change then you won't have the 10 year award. 

You're welcome. Yes, it wasn't quite as it first seemed with the "those of state pension age to receive a 10 year award" I have heard of some people being contacted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • blue32
    Hi no it wasn't tribunal I'm going to ring soon on her behalf with her present.

I will update later
  • blue32
    I just rang ( pressed option for existing claim )

After a 45 minute hold I passed security for her, he then said this is the wrong number it's the new claim one in the letter, I said no she's on PIP she transferred from DLA to pip, he said it's a short term pip award so you have too ring the new claims line.

There's no date on the letter etc as to when she's to ring so I'm going to leave things for today as I think they are basically going to treat the call as a new claim, which will make her more anxious etc also she had a panic attack today.

Hopefully Monday is a better day for her.
  • poppy123456
    For exisiting claims the number you need to ring is  0800 121 4433. Awards that are ending soon should have been extended for 6 months, mine was extended from October 2020 to April 2021 and i still haven't received the form yet.
  • blue32
    That's the number I rang poppy, the letter doesn't even say when to ring by
  • blue32
    He's saying because it's a short term pass it's new claims
  • poppy123456
    Short term pass?
  • blue32
    Yes that's what he said as it's short term oass 18months it's new ckaim number probably a way to get out ten year passes
  • poppy123456
    Regardless of whether it's a review or a new claim, it should still be treated as new claim by you, as in giving as much relevant information as possible. The shorter forms fool some people into thinking that they don't need to give as much information.

For the 10 year award, like i said not all people of state pension age will receive that.
  • blue32
    Here's the main part of the letter

Dear Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are writing to remind you that your pip will end december xx 2020

We understand that you may still need pip if your circumstances are the same or are worse. We want to help you continue to claim if you need to.

What to do if you still need pip

If you still need help with your daily living or mobility needs please call us on 0800 917 2222 we will ask you a few questions to help with h your pip claim.

Other than the end date it doesn't even say when she's to ring by etc 
  • blue32
    Ok thanks poppy
  • poppy123456
    It seems clear to me that she does need to ring to start another claim. Although it doesnt state when she needs to ring by the sooner she rings the sooner she's sent those forms.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.