Hi, my name is SUlee226! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SUlee226!

SUlee226
SUlee226 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi my name is Sue, I’m 72 yrs young! I am disabled with Scoliosis, & recently registered as partially sighted/sight impaired, which has been getting me down a bit, as I used to make greetings cards, which I sold to friends, and then donated to Dementia Uk. I also painted canvasses in oil & did sequin art, now I mostly listen to music, play my keyboard & do quizzes to keep my brain active.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SUlee226 welcome on board and telling us about yourself 

Have a look around and feel free to join in 

I look forward to seeing you around 

I am also sight impaired as well as other disabilities so can empathise with how you feel 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hello @SUlee226 and a warm welcome to our community.  

I like the variety in your hobbies, you might find our Kaleidoscope thread in the virtual coffee lounge interesting where our members post photos of their craft projects.

Some other members with scoliosis have written about their experience in our disabled people group too so you could have a little nosey there. 

How are you today?  Do you have much planned?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @SUlee226 and welcome to the community :) 

Hope you manage to find your way around the site easily enough, if you ever struggle with anything don't hesitate to mention.

I also have sight loss, it can be difficult when you start to struggle with things that you would previously have been comfortable doing, but there are always other avenues that open up. Music is a great hobby, as is listening to radio, podcasts and audiobooks or anything that utilises your stronger senses like hearing.

There's also no reason why you can't enjoy the more sight dependant things like making greetings cards, there may be adaptations you can make to the process that make it more accessible for you? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SUlee226 - Thank you for joining us all, & I hope you enjoy being part of this friendly & supportive community. I hope you find the suggestions & insight above helpful. You have the right approach in keeping your brain active, something I also do. It's lovely that you donated to Dementia UK; 2 of my neighbours do voluntary work for that charity, & have told me about it. Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you again, or seeing you around the forum. :)
  • willow12
    willow12 Community member Posts: 280 Pioneering
    @SUlee226 hi and a very warm welcome too our friendly community I do hope your well 
  • SUlee226
    Thank thank you to everyone who welcomed me on here, I really appreciate it. I’ve had a clear out today with a friend to help me, the aim initially was to find the charger for my laptop, I’d been looking for it since January, but with impaired sight has been a problem, plus bending down is not ideal with scoliosis, as sometimes every joint clicks and then my knees lock, “not a pretty sight,” but have got used to it. My friend found the charger, was in my bedroom by the chair, where I keep a spare pair of slippers, I walk by the chair every day & sit on it, but never saw the charger, think I might have to put a bright marker pen tick on it, so I can see it in future, I laugh about it now, but although I do a lot of things on my phone, I also do card designs on my laptop, plus I have a lot of poems & short stories I have written on there, but all’s well that ends well as they say! I hope you are all well.
  • willow12
    willow12 Community member Posts: 280 Pioneering
    @SUlee226 pleased you have found your charger hope you enjoy the rest of your evening takecare
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SUlee226 - you are very welcome.....& pleased you found your charger! :smile:
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @SUlee226! So great to have you with us. :)

Sorry to hear you are struggling with sightloss. I appreciate that it can be life changing and take some time to get used to. I started to loose my sight around three years ago and found RNIB really helpful.

Here are some of the services that they offer:
    You don't have to do this alone.  <3
    Scope

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @SUlee226

Good Afternoon & Welcome it's great to meet you today ? ?

@steve51
  • SUlee226
    Hi steve51. Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier, I hope you’re ok? Just had a bit of a busy day, had my hair done this morning, then attempted to do a crossword, but as I’m partially sighted, found it a bit hard today, am due to have an eye op sometime in October, a cataract removal, but because I have had corneal grafts, it’s not a straightforward procedure, & have been told it might not be successful, as I also have severe scoliosis of the spine, so can’t lie flat. But hopefully it can be done, & I can start doing card making & painting again. What are your hobbies?
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SUlee226

Please please don't worry about the time getting back to me.

Yes you do look like you have had a very busy day. 

I have computer's as my hobby which keeps me very busy indeed.

Please come back to me if there is anything that I can help you with???

@steve51
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SUlee226, how are you getting on? :)
    Scope

• SUlee226
    Hi Chlo, I hope you’re ok? I’ve had a bit of up and down week, have waited since April for a cataract operation, to try & save the sight in my right eye, but due to the virus it was put on hold, but am going for a ore-op assessment on 20th if this month,& if all is ok, will be having op on 23rd, but it’s not a straightforward forward cataract op, as I have a corneal graft and glaucoma, plus severe scoliosis, which means I can’t lie flat, have a general anaesthetic, so will all depend if Consultant get get me in a comfortable position to do the op, I have lost sight totally in left eye, the cataract can’t be removed from that eye as it’s too close to the corneal graft. I usually take things in my stride, but I must admit, I’m a bit apprehensive about this op, think it’s more so because of this virus.It probably sounds like I’m a bit of a wimp, I’m not usually, maybe it’s an age thing. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You're definitely not a wimp @SUlee226! It's understandable that you'd be apprehensive. Fingers crossed it'll all go smoothly, and you'll be able to save some of your sight. Keep us updated :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness