"Sight is the sense people fear losing the most, yet we don’t know how to look after our eyes" — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"Sight is the sense people fear losing the most, yet we don’t know how to look after our eyes"

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
This year's National Eye Health Week (NEHW) will take place from 21 to 27 September 2020, promoting the importance of good eye health and the need for regular eye tests for all.
You might assume that eye health is only relevant if you wear glasses or have a visual impairment, yet this is not the case. If you are unsure how often you need an eye test Vision Matters has a short questionnaire.

About 4 years ago I started to lose my sight, I have now been registered as partially sighted for 3 years. Prior to this point eye health wasn't something that I really thought about. Surely if you can see then you have healthy eyes?

But this isn't the case. 

Did you know?

• 2 million people in the UK are living with sight loss, that is severe enough to have a significant impact on their daily lives. Half of this sight loss is avoidable.*
  • A sight test can detect early signs of conditions like glaucoma, which can be treated if found soon enough
  • During a sight test, other health conditions such as diabetes or high blood pressure may be detected.
  • For healthy eyes, eat well, don’t smoke and wear eye protection in bright sunlight.
If you would like to know more, Vision Matters has an article about how to keep your eyes healthy.

Resources

When was your last eye test? Do you have any tips to add? Have you experienced sight loss? Let us know in the comments.
Scope

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I had an eye test a while ago due to a very large floater and I was told it was incurable but that I’d get used to it. It’s been about eighteen moths now and I’m just getting used to it, ie, I don’t notice it so much even though it’s still there.

The doctor did advise that eating plenty of vegetables helps keep healthy eyes. We do take sight for granted that’s for sure.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for posting this!

I have said before but sight loss is one of the few things I wouldn’t trade my problems for. I have big respect for anyone who has experienced sight loss and manages to continue to get on with their life.

Funnily enough I last had an eye test last week. No issues were brought up fortunately, although my prescription changed fractionally (I am short sighted and need glasses for things like driving) for the worse.

A tip I was given by my optician is that you can spend as long as you like at the computer screen, however you should focus on something in the distance (away from the screen) just for a few seconds, every 15 minutes or so.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Great tip, thanks @66Mustang! I should start doing that I think.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    I have only ever had sight in the left eye.  The right one never taught itself to see so never will.  There isnothing that can be done.  So I know what it is like to not see things properly, pass friends in the street, have problems with steps and judge distances,  I do dread the day my sight completely goes as although I am registered as Blind, the sight I do have isenough for me to carefully get around with assistance.  I can't see a bus number or destination boards at stations.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @roberttaylor570, I'm glad you are still able to get about. :)
    Scope

Brightness