My chronic illness shouldn't impact my child - but it already has — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My chronic illness shouldn't impact my child - but it already has

JoelVsArthritis
JoelVsArthritis Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
A wrote a piece that I thought might be relatable to you good people here.

At times, parenting feels like the hardest thing in the world. I thought my chronic illness shouldn't impact my child, but Shielding has meant it already has. Last week when I wrote this, I found out in the most upsetting way.

Please remove if not appropriate, relocate if in the wrong category and if you'd like me to share more, do let me know.

Thanks,
Joel.

https://joelvsarthritis.co.uk/my-chronic-illness-shouldnt-impact-my-child
Arthritis blogger, writer and advocate.
Sharing my story of Juvenile Arthritis, parenting and mental health with chronic illness.
Writes for leading charities/orgs.
Articles?
https://joelvsarthritis.co.uk

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome and thanks for sharing, I have a disability that does impact on my sons life too no matter how much i try for it not too it is unaviidable when you are a single parent who is wheelchair bound
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    A really interesting piece @JoelVsArthritis! Thank you for sharing this with us. :)
    Scope

• JoelVsArthritis
    JoelVsArthritis Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    Thanks, both and for entertaining it. You can accept that certain elements of your disability will impact parenting and your child - on this occasion, the upsetting element is that it was circumstances out of my control. My pain, fatigue, mobility will affect him but just because he is the son of a high-risk person, shouldn't be a reason to mess up his development. I don't know what the answer is, just raising questions. :)
    Arthritis blogger, writer and advocate.
    Sharing my story of Juvenile Arthritis, parenting and mental health with chronic illness.
    Writes for leading charities/orgs.
    Articles?
    https://joelvsarthritis.co.uk
  • Cindy7007
    Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hi Joel,
    Thank you for trusting this community to share your concerns, if you feel able, could you elaborate a little more and explain what your main concerns are with regard to your son please.

How do you feel you being a high risk person is messing up your son's development?

Are you concerned with the additional COVID restrictions he may have to abide b y in order to protect you?

Cindy
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    When I became chronically ill our son was 14 and daughter 10, he handled it really badly whilst she was brilliant, you never know with kids what will impact their lives and what doesn't.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• lista
    lista Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    These posts are very brave and interesting to read.  I myself have a Father with Cerabral Palsy, when I was a child it was just Dad to me. When he became our full time single Parent, I was 10, again it never affected me, I never gave the Disability any tbought.  Now im 41 and my Dads Carer I am frustrated that things were made to be so normal I wasnt informed enough of Cerebral Palsy and what was to come.My personal journey is that Children are resilient, they love their parents, and as you reach adulthood you think back and I wonder how my Dad achieved all he did. I am amazed and so so proud.  My Dad waited for his children to ask him questions when we got curious, my Dads Disability has taught me invaluable skills in life, fight, strength and determination.  Think about the positives regarding your Children, they will turn into caring, loving, thoughtful adults whom give back, teeat people equal and have ambition and drive.   God bless xx

Brightness