Online exhibition celebrating 50 years of disability rights — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Online exhibition celebrating 50 years of disability rights

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
Manchester histories have put together a fab digital collection of resources to celebrate:

"the 50th anniversary of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970, pioneered by the late Lord Alf Morris, and 50 years of Disabled People Rights."

If you visit the website you can look at a range of interesting contributions, such as these stories, creativity, views and histories from disabled people.

If you want to share any thoughts about what you read or how you feel disability rights have progressed, please tell us in the comments below.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Cher_Scope,
    I really don't feel like celebrating, Social Services have increased my Social Care charges to just under £50 per week, which I can I'll-afford. They say that I can live on the minimum level of income.
    How would they like it if their income was suddenly reduced by £120 per month? This means that I now owe them hundreds of pounds, since the charges apply from around April 2020.

As a chronically ill and disabled person I feel totally devalued, expendable and undermined by my local Council. I am not assisted to live as "normal" a life as possible. I am constantly reminded how worthless my life is and left constantly struggling financially. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @OxonladySorry to hear about that, what is their reasoning behind it  or isnt there any ? I can only imagine your frustration and annoyance at this
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    They simply said that the Council's policy this year is to increase charges for social care and said that I can "live adequately on the minimum wage". Which for disabled people is already very low... It's appalling. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Oxonlady Blimey, that's a rough decision.  I'm sorry you have bore the brunt of social services cuts.

Although 50 years of disability rights is a cause for celebration, in many ways you show that there is still much progress to be made  :(

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited October 2020
    I've been rejected 3 times in the past 2 weeks for employment, and every time I declared my disability! I wouldn't mind but it's supposed to be illegal under the Equality Act 2010 to discriminate against ANYBODY, especially the disabled! However the only way I'm ever gonna work is some disability specific non job where the clients are all on benefits and can't hardly anything without the DWP jumps on them from a great height with benefit sanctions!

I've done that before and hated every second of it.

For want of a better word I want a normal job in the normal world.

Right now I don't feel as though I AM normal (define normal? Contrary to the rantings of the Daily Mail, disabled people aren't all workshy slaves to the benefit system)

• Cher_Alumni
    edited October 2020
    @MrAllen1976 Agh, I'm sorry  :(  The job market is particularly challenging at the moment and to feel that you are discriminated against on the grounds of having an impairment must be awful. 

Have you heard about Scope's Support to Work service?  They aim to help disabled people find employment and can arrange a 12 week plan to support you:
    • reading work and careers advice
    • writing a CV or cover letter from a template
    • preparing for interviews
    I'd give it a go and contact them via the link as the perfect role for you is out there somewhere.  

Also, you are right normal doesn't exist and the scrounger narrative given to disabled people in some media outlets is harmful and untrue.  

Wishing you lots of luck for the future and we are here to support you through this.

Brightness