Scout Hut renovation and access/entrance question regarding wheelchair use — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scout Hut renovation and access/entrance question regarding wheelchair use

Options
DB0511
DB0511 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi all,

I'm involved in the local scout group who are planning do carry out some building work to improve the hut where we do activities, have meetings and so on. Part of the work will involve renovating one of the toilets to make it disabled/wheelchair friendly and we also need to alter the entrance(s) to make these wheelchair friendly too.

I'm hoping someone may have some advice regarding what provision needs to be made for wheelchairs in terms of building entrances. Do we need to have two wheelchair friendly entrances/exits so if one becomes blocked there is an alternative? If so, do both need to be fitted with ramps and handrails etc. or is one ramp for the main door sufficient? 

We currently have a single main door at the rear of the building which is too narrow for a wheelchair and there is a step down too, and a double door in the middle of the building at the front which is wide enough for a wheelchair but is an an awkward place to change to being the 'main' door. So the solution would appear to be that we widen the back door to 900mm and fit a permanent ramp up to it, with hand rails etc. There's not a lot of space back there though. The double doors would be the alternative access/entrance in an emergency as the step down from them is only a couple of inches. It could be 'bumped down' if absolutely necessary.

Any help or pointers on where to go for proper regulations etc. would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance!

regards
David  
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome it is great you are planning to make the building accessible 

I am not sure where you can get advice maybe the planning dept at the council can help or a local builder may have knowledge of the regulations 

I hope other members may be able to give more advice 

@Adrian_Scope can you offer any advice 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to our online community @DB0511

I've done a little online research and found the government's Building Regulations 2010 which incorporates amendments from 2016.  If you go to page 24 onwards of the document it outlines the regulations for wheelchair-user dwellings.

I hope that helps but please let me know if it leaves anything unanswered  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @DB0511 - @ welcome to the community. As advised, I would contact your council's planning department to find out if you need any planning permission, & if there are any regulations governing disabled access.
    You could also look on your council's website to see if there's any free advice (mine offers this). In the past I've found the planning department very helpful. You may also find that your intended project may qualify for a grant as it's going to benefit more people. Hope this helps. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Welcome to the community @DB0511! I hope the above advice has been useful :)

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the Disabled People category

Good luck with the project! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • DB0511
    DB0511 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Many thanks all, some great advice and tips there. I'll follow up on the suggestions.

regards
    Dave

Brightness