Your best traits and something you want to improve — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your best traits and something you want to improve

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
The star sign thread made me think of making a thread where we can share traits we think we have which we are fond of, and also ones we want to improve. Basically it’s like the star sign thread but we can say what traits we really do have rather than what the star signs say. 

I think I am good at staying calm in a stressful situation. Also I’m neutral in an argument or debate and don’t take sides, I like to ask questions of all sides to better understand all points of view.

What I want to improve is I want to get better at asking the other person about their story/experiences rather than talking about my own all the time. I think when someone brings up a topic I always think of a way to bring my own experience into it when I could be better at asking the other person questions about their own experiences. Also, to be more empathetic.

So with that last point...over to you. ;):D

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Great idea for a thread @66Mustang.

I like that I have a decent (if sometimes strange) sense of humour, and can have a laugh about things. My friends have said I'm generally quite easygoing and open-minded too.

There are lots of things I could improve on! But a couple are: 
    • being better at reaching out to people: I can be quite passive in my friendships, and I worry it sometimes makes my friends feel like I'm not bothered about speaking to them when that's not the case at all
    • finding a balance between overthinking, and being a bit impulsive: I can tend to be one or the other when making decisions, so getting more of a balance would be good
    • having better self-discipline and time management: I can put things off for no reason sometimes, especially in my personal life, so I'm trying to work on getting myself motivated enough to get things done 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    Great post @Tori_Scope thanks for sharing :)

I think having a sense of humour is a really good trait to have. Did you find having a disability (if you have one) makes you more open to having a laugh about things that may not seem funny to others (without upsetting anyone of course)? I found it made me more self deprecating and able to joke about myself if that makes sense. 

I can definitely relate to what you say about being impulsive or overthinking, as I tend to do one or the other too. Did you know that apparently the best time to make decisions is either when you are drunk or when you are desperate for a wee? :D
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm non-disabled @66Mustang- but I can certainly be self-deprecating nonetheless :D

That makes sense to me. @Chloe_Scope has a good blog post on using humour to accept her disability.  

Interesting! I wonder what my life would be like if I did that... I'm not sure it would be for the best.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm a very loyal person, but whilst I can be your good friend I can also be your worst enemy if you get on my wrong side.
    I'm also very honest and detest liars.
    And whilst I am not religious I have my own strict moral code.
    One final thing people sometimes refer to me as being epileptic, that's not me, i am a person with epilepsy my illness doesn't define who I am
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang the restaurant was called Blackfriars and it is recommended by Michelin but has no Michelin star...as yet. It’s a great restaurant anyway and I could have sworn it was higher rated but it has awards. My mistake.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    A very thought invoking thread 

My qualities would be experience of life and its challenges making me empathetic 

Nurturing like to bring out the best in people and make a happy loving home 

Honest and loyal and someone who respects confidentiality 

What I want to improve 

Self awareness and how my mood and actions affect others

Understanding of mental health and its root cause 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I do not know if these are good or bad traits; hopefully my perceived 'good ones' first, but here goes.
    - I'm very, very patient, which my Mum couldn't understand, & perhaps might exasperate others.
    - Everyone who matters in my life has always said I'm like an open book.
    - As long as I can remember, I've had this sense of 'fair justice.'
    - I think I show empathy, trying to put myself in the other person's shoes.
    - I'm very family-orientated, & hope I've always shown my children I'll be 'there' for them.
    The definitely 'not so good' bits:
    - I procrastinate, which often irritates me, tho I don't think others know.....shhhh!
    - Sometimes I can appear indecisive; I know what I like, it's just finding it!
    - I can tend to take ages to research something, rather than just deciding....which is somewhat similar to the above, but has caused others to question why I'm like that.
    That's me in a nutshell. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks everyone for posting, I liked all the replies and found them interesting. It is also great to get to know everyone a bit better. :smile:

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I like this thread too!  

Like most of you, I'd say one of my best traits is my sense of humour.  I tend not to take life too seriously and am a very smiley, giggly person  :). Also, I'm quite determined and like to challenge myself to go beyond my comfort zone and set myself goals.

I think we tend to find it easier to pick our faults out don't we so I'll keep this bit short! I'm definitely a perfectionist and can be quite hard on myself if I feel I've not proven myself or lived up to my capabilities.  This is a work in-progress and I have to remind myself that I'm a human and sometimes doing things 'good enough' is just fine  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd say my best trait is not taking life or my conditions too seriously and having a good sense of humour...though that can backfire on forums sometimes!  

I'm pretty tolerant and accepting.  Would like to think people could tell me anything without fear of a big reaction.  I'd rather 'find a way forward' than dwelling on the past or assigning grudges.  What's done is done...

I'm very disciplined, if something needs doing that I 'can' do, I'll assign a time and day to do it, or have completed it by, and will stick to that.  In busy weeks, I'll write a list to work through.

On the flip side to the above, I tend not to be able to visualise a way through things that I think I 'can't' do...if I can't plan a possible footpath in my head, I won't even attempt the task.

I'm also horribly indecisive, I'll spend weeks researching something, keep changing my mind and never make a decision until it's either too late or I'm forced into going one way or the other. Then I'll get buyers remorse and worry that I've made the wrong decision for weeks or months afterwards!

Lastly, definitely relevant on here, over-sharing and 'talking' about myself too much online...   :D

• 66Mustang
    @OverlyAnxious

A sense of humour is a great trait especially when you can apply it to yourself or your own situation.

I definitely know what you mean about being indecisive and then getting buyers remorse. I don’t know about you but I find it hard when companies let you return stuff (especially expensive stuff like technology) for 14 days or a month or whatever as I spend that month thinking can I justify keeping this or should I send it back. It would be easier if they didn’t allow returns!

I don’t think you over share on here but don’t know if you use other social media. I think people do over share on there!
  • 66Mustang
    @Cher_Scope I like the one about going outside of your comfort zone. I think that is a wry healthy trait to have. I was told by a psychologist that you have to keep going outside of your comfort zone as if you stay within it it gets smaller.
  • 66Mustang
    leeCal said:
    @66Mustang the restaurant was called Blackfriars and it is recommended by Michelin but has no Michelin star...as yet. It’s a great restaurant anyway and I could have sworn it was higher rated but it has awards. My mistake.

Thanks I will look it up, I like looking at the menus of restaurants even if I’m not going to go there haha

Brightness