ESA TO PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA TO PIP?

Maxinus
Maxinus Community member Posts: 43 Connected
is there any way of applying for pip if you are receiving ESA?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hi,

You apply for PIP in the same way as everyone else by ringing the claims line to start off your application. Claiming ESA has nothing to do with a PIP claim because they are 2 completely different benefits, with totally different criteria.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, or your ability to work. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maxinus - as Poppy has said, you can apply for PIP. As well as looking at the link given, please have a look at the descriptors/activities that are looked at concerning daily living &/mobility with PIP. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    This may help you decide about applying. As Poppy importantly mentions, PIP is about any problems you face with these activities, rather than any diagnosis, etc.
    Please do say if you have any questions after looking at the links given. :)
  • Maxinus
    I didn’t mention, but this is for my husband and he receives contribution based esa as he was self employed, does that make a difference?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    No, not at all. They are 2 completely different benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi glad you have joined us and glad you have been given helpful advice which answers your questions

Come back if you have any questions about the PIP application process
  • Maxinus
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope the above information has been helpful for you @Maxinus :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.