Getting the right work-life balance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Getting the right work-life balance

Chloe_Scope
Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
National Work Life Week is an opportunity for both employers and employees to focus on wellbeing at work and work life balance. Employers can use the week to provide activities for staff, and to showcase their flexible working policies and practices.
Black and white photo of two people sat in a meeting with their laptops open

Working, especially during a pandemic, can be stressful. The Mental Health Foundation have shared this thought:
The pressure of an increasingly demanding work culture in the UK is perhaps the biggest and most pressing challenge to the mental health of the general population.
Read more: Work-life balance (Mental Health Foundation)

As a disabled employee I believe it to be even more important that I maintain a healthy work-life balance. Yet working from home can make this a little bit more difficult. Once I've finished work I normally will have a lie down and spend some time away from screens. 

Here are some of the things I do on an evening and weekend:
  • Listen to an audiobook
  • Crochet (currently making a large blanket that's getting slight out of control)
  • Watch TV
  • Hot bath 
  • Light a candle
  • Ring a friend
  • Cook a favourite meal
Working Families have more information about Work Life Week.

How do you look after your wellbeing? Have you got the right work-life balance? Is there something you'd like to start doing? Let us know in the comments below!
Scope

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Really important piece! 

I live in a shared house, so I work in my bedroom. As soon as I finish work, I try and go straight downstairs to spend some time in the living room, as I find this helps me to switch into relax mode.

I also try (and often fail) to spend my lunch break away from screens, whether that be through popping out for a walk, or just staring out of the window. I find this gives my eyes a rest, and helps to clear my head too. 

I'd be interested in hearing about more tips and experiences from everyone :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    You work, you die, you rest - at least I'm managing to get the first part right  :*

On a more serious note I have never been good at getting the work/life balance correct. Before the lock down I at least had the journey home to wind down before getting home. August and September were particularly exhausting as I was working additional hours during the week and most of the weekends. 

I do try and get an hour away from the screen during my lunch break - though here I am. I do find working from home more intense, as I am constantly at the computer when working and definitely spend less time away, either printing, quick chat with a colleague or even a break for one of the many meetings which seem to take place.

Probably doesn't help that I haven't been out since the lock down either.

That said, I love what I do and well paid for doing it. Just seems sometimes that there are other things I would like to do but never seem to have the time, and when I do get the time I am usually exhausted or the back pain means I have to be careful if I don't want it to become a major stumbling blocks for other things. Over all though I am happy with my life as it is.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Chloe_Scope
    It's always great when you enjoy what you are doing @Geoark! I think this makes such a big difference. 

Hope you're able to keep taking breaks and have time away from screens. :)
    Scope

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, totally agree that enjoying what you do makes a huge difference.

There is nothing stopping me taking breaks when I want to, unless there is a meeting scheduled. I'm pretty good with my lunch which I usually take around 12. However unless there is a meeting in the afternoon I will often forget to take a break.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    How's the crocheting coming along @Chloe_Scope?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Geoark said:
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, totally agree that enjoying what you do makes a huge difference.

There is nothing stopping me taking breaks when I want to, unless there is a meeting scheduled. I'm pretty good with my lunch which I usually take around 12. However unless there is a meeting in the afternoon I will often forget to take a break.
    Yeah that makes sense @g@Geoark! I'm glad you're still able to have breaks. :)
    Scope

• Chloe_Scope
    @Ross_Scope! I've not picked it up for a few days but hopefully I can do some this weekend. :) 
    Scope

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @Ross_Scope! I've not picked it up for a few days but hopefully I can do some this weekend. :) 
    Hopefully, that sounds like a fun, relaxing thing to do on a weekend :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness