The general chat thread — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The general chat thread

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
I thought I’d make a thread where people can just talk about random day-to-day stuff, what they have been up to, what they are planning on doing (without stealing from the daily goals thread of course), etc.

I just received via email a £5 voucher for Halfords. As far as I can see there is no minimum spend so if I want to I can just spend up to £5 and get my shopping for free. I intend to do that. Time to go shopping on their website :smiley: 

I’m not sure why I get excited about little things like this, haha.

What is going on for everybody else?

PS I don’t know why there seems to be multiple gaps between my paragraphs. I only put one line between them in the editor. I think there is a bit of a bug.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @66Mustang evening nice idea for a thread my friend. Two things come to mind,'ve found amazon prime days a big disappointment this year only brought one item for £2.99 lol secondly i've been having a shocking time these last 2 weeks with my eyes, blurred vision balance problems and slurred speech, apparently there is nothing can be done its side effects of medication (have taken over 300,000 tablets over 23 years !)
    Other than that lifes not too bad, hope you and yours are ok and staying safe and well?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Hi @woodbine yes I have Amazon Prime and eagerly waited for Prime Day as well but nothing really caught my eye enough to make me spend any money ha ha. I am hoping Black Friday is a bit more interesting with some better deals.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Wow that is a lot of tablets - that works out at about 35 a day if I did the maths right. I’m on 4 a day and I thought that was a lot. I like your attitude though, things could always be worse couldn’t they?

Not great but not bad either here, just getting by, that’s the main thing I guess, thanks for asking.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi good thread 

I am having issues with amazin currently anything I order that is due to be delivered by hermes is not arriving 3 times this has happened in 4 weeks 

If it is royal mail then items are delivered 

I have spoken to customer service and they have either replaced item or given refund but if replaced it still doesn't arrive 

Will call again as I have 2 outstanding items but hope they look into it and give some explanation 

I use amazon a lot especially for Christmas gifts but reluctant to order anything else currently 
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @janer1967

I can’t say I have had the same problem although my delivery dates have been pushed back. If I was to order something today it would arrive by Monday, usually it’s the next day (or the day after of ordered later in the evening). I assumed this was due to COVID or just demand.

I don’t like to shame companies but I have heard quite a few bad things from various people about Hermes recently.

My deliveries come by an Amazon van, not Hermes, can you choose who delivers or is it based on where you live?

I hope you get your items soon.
  • janer1967
    You don't choose who delivers usually small items come by royal mail bigger by hermes I have had loads delivered by them before and no issue I even get same driver so dint know what is happening 

Hard to believe amazon distribution is only about 5 miles from me 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I was hoping to get an Amazon Fire 8 inch tablet for my mum for Christmas, thankfully they were in the deals , should have been £90 but dropped to £45 i do love a bargain :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
    Well done @Ami2301 I love a bargain as well. That is a nice Christmas present. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Sadly Halfords voucher didn’t work so I contacted them and got a new one and that didn’t work either. I don’t know what to do now. I don’t like making a mountain out of a molehill as I was only going to use it to get £5 worth of free screen wash but £5 is £5...
  • Ami2301
    Thanks @66Mustang :) I've never been able to treat her to anything, due to our financial situation over the years, thankfully its been the most stable this year then its ever been (wish I could say that about the world today!) So me and my 2 sisters chipped in together and got her one. 

Even though I'm blessing her with a granddaughter next month, still would love to treat her :) 
  • 66Mustang
    I agree it is often a nicer feeling to buy someone something they want than to buy something for yourself. I remember when I had no rent to pay and no car and was able to afford to treat everyone at Christmas and they still mention it now almost a decade later. If I bought myself something with the money it would be long forgotten by now! Now I have a car and other financial commitments so I have to budget at Christmas but I guess it is the thought that counts with gifts. :)
  • Ami2301
    Definitely, even if people like my mum are difficult to buy for lol :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    We start buying for the 2 grandkids in January which we did this year, but usually we buy right through the year which has been difficult this year, so they will get a few pressies plus a nice cheque each, personally I would buy them a whip and top each but senior management insists we ruin them, its the one argument we have every year ! The rest of the time I do as i'm told, when i'm told and how i'm told (I know my place   :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    Glad you know your place @woodbine and who is the boss 

I always go overboard with gifts as I like buying for others 

Will be very different this year as dont even know if I will get to see family I buy for 

I really feel for my niece she is having a baby due in next few weeks and with current restrictions nobody will get to meet the little one 
  • Ami2301
    I've tried every year to be organised with birthdays and Christmas, yet always fail but this year I think I'm on track. We have 9 nieces and nephews, along with other family members means that we have one gift-free month which is April. 

I love searching for gifts to buy others but I get to the point where I know all the gift guides like the back of my hand... Argos, Matalan, a couple of others too. I'm so sad lol!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I've always struggled with keeping track of birthdays too @Ami2301. This year I decided to add them all to my calendar on my phone and set a reminder for two weeks before each of them. 

So far it's helped me massively :)  

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Ami2301
    I'm glad its helped @Ross_Scope :) 
  • janer1967
    Yet more items not delivered from Amazon, they are eventually now looking into the issue rather than keeping re ordering them

I really want this sorting as I will be doing most f my shopping on line , never had this problem before
  • 66Mustang
    @janer1967 I hope they get it sorted for you soon

We ordered an item in July and it never came so need to chase them up on that. Apart from that they have been good to us, though. 
  • janer1967
    @66Mustang Thats a long time to wait best get it sorted 
  • 66Mustang
    Yes I agree, luckily it was only a few pounds and not an essential item but that’s not the point 

Brightness