Started my trauma therapy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Started my trauma therapy

Hi every one I have started my trauma therapy I was referred to a local charity when I was in crisis and been on there waiting lists for months . The mental health community team I’m under want me to do relaxation therapy along side trauma therapy has Any one ever had relaxation or trauma therapy would be interested to see how you found it . 

I found my session to be good didn’t leave me upset or feeling panicked but it’s only a first session with me having trauma therapy outside my community team there’s no limited amount of sessions you can have as many as you feel you need where as with in my community team I feel there in a hurry to just discharge me not like they do much any way I do think there limited because of covid .

when I was with the crisis team and I really was I’ll I lost my mind they were great every thing moved fast now things are moving slow . 

I really want to just get better I wish there was a magic button I could press and all the negative memories are gone from my head , 

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    That's good news @cupcake88 I think we'd all like that magic button! Lol
    I hope it helps to get you to where you want to be.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Thank you for your kind words 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    It's great to hear that you've started the trauma therapy @cupcake88 and I hope it has the outcome you're hoping for :) 

I'm sure other members of the community will have tried relaxation therapy and will be happy to offer their experiences.

Best of luck :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Hi@cupcake88 Glad to know you are getting the help you need. I tried trauma therapy. Originally i had gone to see a counsellor for our marriage. It turned out that he was more interested in my being sexually abused by my father. I couldn't see how trauma therapy was going to help my marriage. But i went along had about three sessions it was not for me so i told the counsellor that i would not be coming back and he become really rude towards me. I went back to a counsellor that i had used before had 18 session's and i have to say for me it worked. You will know if it works for you give it some time. I wish you all the best?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Relaxation therapy teaches you how to relax. It’s very calming, listening to a cd and relaxing each part of your body and you become very calm. It’s nice and harmless and useful to know how to do for yourself later on. Im sure you’ll enjoy it @cupcake88

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm really pleased your first session went well @cupcake88 - as far as relaxation therapy goes. I agree with @leeCal that I feel it would be helpful, & it's not intrusive. I use relaxation exercises daily & it does reduce stress, which is always a good thing. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thats great to hear @cupcake88 and I hope it continues to go well for you. I have never had any sort of therapy so cannot comment but it looks like you are on the way to getting the help you need and that can only be a positive start

Keep us up to date on how it is going 
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @cupcake88,

Good luck with your therapy?

I have some understanding of what you mean about pressing a magic button as I have PTSD as a result of being bullied and harassed at work. 

I think the relaxation therapy sounds really interesting.

Thank you @Leecal
    for explaining about relaxation therapy as it might be something which would help me?
  • chiarieds
    Try practicing this breathing exercise @cupcake88 & @RAwarrior
    This is the one I used to teach, & now use myself! :)

• cupcake88
    Thank you every one who has wished me well and have shared there experience, personally I thought the relaxin therapy was a waste of time but my nurse said it be a good idea . It’s quicker for me to start trauma therapy Threw the charity I feel like it’s more relaxed and there’s no max or minimum sessions , 

my nurse didn’t think I was ready for trauma therapy where as I do I need to learn how to deal with what’s happened to me ,

the abuse I suffered was years ago but really affects my life day to day I wish I could get better ASAP but it’s a long process I have to get used to , I constantly don’t feel safe I also can feel hands around my neck quite a lot and I litterally feel like I cant breather I hate feeling like this and feeling trapped inside my head and in fear .

I can’t change what’s happened to me but I need to learn to deal with those bad memories.

after my first session my therapist ask me to write a letter as if I’m saying it to my abuser for me to say to her next session as if she was him.

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @chiarieds,

Thank you very much for the link :)
  • chiarieds
    You are very welcome @RAwarrior - please do try it; it's worth a go. I used to teach it in relaxation classes, & I know how much it's helped me, & hope it may do the same for you. :)
  • cupcake88
    Thanks so much hun for the link your amazing 
  • cupcake88
    If you have found it helpful I will try it I wasn’t so keen on it but I will give it a go I get so panicked at times I can concentrate 
  • chiarieds
    You know we all want the best for you @cupcake88 - I do hope you try too.....you've got nothing to lose, & it just might help, if even only a little. Thank you for your kind reply. :)
  • cupcake88
    thank you so much yes I know I have a huge support on here I’m greatful for you all all your kind words and all your advice and support xx
  • cupcake88
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    And always remember that this support is always here for you on the community @cupcake88 :) I hope the link that @chiarieds has kindly provided helps you out a lot :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cindy7007
    Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Hi @cupcake88

I cannot comment on trauma therapy but as another idea with regards relaxation.  
    I personally use meditation, now for some people all that needs to be done is to find a quiet place and get comfortable.  Tap into the internet for meditation music, you will find different music for relaxing, help with poor sleeping, anxiety and more. You could feel very chilled and relaxed afterwards. Whatever works for you, I wish you well.
    Cindy

Brightness