Direct payments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Direct payments

gengen
gengen Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello everyone. 

I’m a mum to two boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy. 

I’m trying to find out if anyone who has DMD boys that are children and in receipt of direct payments are able to be paid the money even though they live in the same household. 

I don’t have anyone suitable enough to provide my children the care that they need and have asked my local authorities to consider allowing me to be paid instead of a PA. 

has anyone any experience in this please ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I dont have an answer for you as I dont have any knowledge of direct payments but when our benefits exert sees this she will respond
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gengen - & welcome to the community. Direct payments can be made to a parent, dependent on the child's age. You can change your mind as to how you want to receive them. Your LA may ask for more information, & you would need to keep receipts to show how any monies would be spent.
    Scroll down to the last para under 'What are direct payments?'
    (I'm not the person Jane mentioned btw)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Are you asking if your local council will actually pay you for looking after your own children? If so then it's very unlikely that they will agree to do this because that's not what a direct payment is for. You can ask your local council to find someone suitable to look after your children and they will happily do this. Or they can recommend and agency that can employ someone on your behalf.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gengen
    Hi Poppy 

If you look on the carers UK page it does show on there that parents can be paid in certain circumstances.

Im aware of agency staff and what the LA can do, And thank you so much for your help. 

• poppy123456
    The carers UK refers to carers allowance, which is completely different to a direct payment from a local council.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • gengen
  • gengen
    poppy. It would appear your wrong in this instance. And it’s ok that you don’t know the answer to my question. But thank you for trying. X
  • poppy123456
    You are talking about yourself being paid to look after your own children. What you posted above refers to other family members, which i already knew about. My younger daughter who lives with me receives direct payments and used to have a PA. My elder daughter who doesn't live with me used to support her sister when the PA was off and it was agreed that i could use the DP to pay my daughter. I also live in England.

I would appreciate it if you could come back and let us know the outcome please because it could help others if they asked the same question.
  • gengen
    Poppy read the first paragraph....! It clearly shows in certain circumstances you can be paid to look after your own children. It said “normally” not mandatory 

Read it again. 

Anyway thank you. And I will be back once I have a clear definitive answer. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @gengen and welcome to the community :) 

I hope you can find a resolution to your query.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • gengen
    Hi Rose

Thank you for the welcome ?

I hope so too. But I will be back once I know one way or another. 

X

• poppy123456
    I read it many times but i just can't see that it actually states you can be paid for looking after your own children. What it says is in certain circumstances you can employ a family member, even if they live with you. I just can't see the purpose of doing this because the whole point of a direct payment for a child is so that you can have extra help, where needed.

I do hope that i'm proved wrong though. This link to the above screen shot is here, for others to see. https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/practical-support/getting-care-and-support/direct-payments#sec6

If they do agree and you're claiming certain benefits then this can affect the amount you're entitled to because it will be classed as earnings so please be aware of that.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

I dont know the answer but if this was allowed I would think lots of parents would be doing this 

But it would be good to find out the answer 
  • gengen
    It doesn’t state that it’s a given however it doesn’t state that it’s a definite No either. So left open to interpretation and the LA decision depending on circumstances.

We as carers are saving the government a shed load of money. 

I hope I can blaze the trail for families in the same situation that i find myself in currently.  

I’m aware of what monies affect what benefits.
    Knowledge is power, this is not my first rodeo. 

Wish me luck ? 

Brightness