Couples living in building site ( 1 in wheelchair ) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Couples living in building site ( 1 in wheelchair )

Options
JustMe1965
JustMe1965 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
https://www.facebook.com/groups/283674525307518/permalink/1313332292341731/

I ask on behalf of 2 friends of mine, 1 who has autism and the other in a wheelchair, the link is the article running on facebook about their situation so please take the time to read it.   The short version is the building has been declared by the council as a building site but this couple are still begin forced to live there because the landlord ( private ), and the council say there is no place for them to go because Tara needs wheelchair access.

When we ( myself and my partner ) went to see them I had a debate about an electrician who stated that despite still holding the tenancy for the flat ( converted from a  house ) we are not allowed to be there because it is not safe for us, even though this couple are still living there, despite the fact they had no running water for hours on end because of this building work.

We have been in touch with everyone, and gotten nowhere, including our MP.
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JustMe1965 - I'm very sorry to hear of your friends predicament. I would perhaps suggest they contact Shelter for advice. Please see: https://england.shelter.org.uk/  Tel: 0808 800 4444 (weekdays 8am - 8pm; weekends 9am - 5 pm)
    Depending on their ages, Age UK may be able to help people 50+, but worth a try. Please see: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/   Tel: 0800 055 6112 (8am - 7pm everyday)
    At the bottom of this page you will also see all the contact details for Scope.
    Please let us know how things go, & thank you for reaching out for support on their behalf.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JustMe1965

What your friends are going through sounds awful and I'm sorry to hear about it. As mentioned above, Shelter is a good option.

How long have they been living in this situation?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I ma sorry to hear about this situation there are so many disabled people living in unsuitable housing as there isnt enough suitable properties out there. I waited over a year housebound waiting for a suitable property and then that was inly sue to a very kind and determined housing officer helping me

Maybe contact CAB or welfare rights as well also media coverage can sometimes help

What annoys me is when non disabled are given a disabled adapted property, my neighbours for example are a young couple in their 30s with no disabilities living in an adapted bungalow 
  • JustMe1965
    Options
    Hello,
           I am also a tenant and the landlord has found me alternative accommodation, I have been here for about 3 weeks.  The floods that we have endured started back in feb,  the landlord then was told the work had to be carried out to avoid further floods, but he ignored this advice from the plumber and 7,  yes 7 floods later finally conceded the job had to be done.   

We got an email stating that they might, perhaps, maybe ,might be starting the work a week later, but got def written confirmation 4 days before the work was due to start,  if you like send me an email and I will tell you the full story with pictures.

The floods in flat 1 has not been repaired since the first flood in Feb, they have had 5 in that flat alone, they had to tear down 80% of the ceiling in the communal areas to get to the pipework, and have done nothing to dry out the walls, as such the mould is now black, and furry white, and when I went to check yesterday they still have done nothing with it, so the wall is still damp, and the mould continues to grow unabated.

Anyway Tara and Jed are stuck there, and no one is helping them to find a new place to live.

When I went there yesterday I got into a debate with the electrician, who told us that he was told by the landlord that the whole building was designated by the council as a building site, and because of this he did not like us to be there in the building, he said it was a health and safety issue because we did not even have a high vis vest, it is interesting that despite doing the work, he also did not have one but felt happy to use the fact that we did not as an excuse to try and deny us access.

The obvious questions are ...

1 . If it has been designated as a building site then how is the work is allowed to be carried out while there is a woman in a wheelchair still living there, and a partner who has autism.
     2 . If it is deemed unsafe for us to be there for even that short time to check on the furniture that we have had to leave behind, and the state of the flat ( I found someone had done a poo in my toilet and not flushed it ) then how is it safe for Jed & Tara to be living there.

• JustMe1965
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Removed by moderator. Personal information is not allowed on the community.

He has already told me he is happy to receive emails about this.
  • JustMe1965
    Options
    Pps I will contact shelter on Monday and have passed this info onto jed yesterday, thank you.  If anyone has any influence with the council, or housing association who can offer them temp accommodation please let me or jed know.  I have had plenty of fights in my life, with guns, knives etc etc and never been scared ( am no hero ) but I am scared pooless that Tara may develop breathing difficulties because of the mould, it is not good for her state of mind either, nor Jeds.

Brightness