I am a nurse with osteoporosis and a high risk of fragile fractures — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I am a nurse with osteoporosis and a high risk of fragile fractures

Options
gillo
gillo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2020 in Work and employment
Question:I am a nurse with osteoporosis and a high risk of fragile fractures. This stops me doing certain duties that occupational health are aware of and try to accommodate this on a daily basis as I can do many other duties that do not put me at risk. I have one manager that will not allow me to do extra shifts when staff is low even though there are plenty of jobs that I can do. Is this classed as discrimination as I am not being able to earn extra pay in these financially hard times. Any advise would be welcome

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

It's not really straight forward do other managers let you do this , what reason does this manager give , is there any mention from OH about this,  would you be at any risk if there are reduced staff levels . You are able to undertake your contractual obligations so may not be discrimination 

May also be that extra shifts require someone to be able to do full range of duties 

May be worth putting a complaint in writing so you get official explanation 

Hope some of this helps 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gillo and welcome to the community, hope you're well.

I have moved your discussion to our employment and careers category so that it will hopefully get more responses tailored to your issue.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @gillo - & welcome to the community. Firstly I would just mention your concerns to the manager in question. As mentioned, perhaps she feels she's looking after your welfare when there are fewer staff. Explain you can do other tasks instead on such shifts, & see if this manager would feel if that would work.
    Hope you get some answers, & please let us know how you get on. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @gillo. :)
    Scope

Brightness