Help! Work won't accept Fit Note — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help! Work won't accept Fit Note

JenCo
JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
edited September 2020 in Work and employment
Hi all, 

What would you do if your workplace refused to accept your fit note? My GP says I'm fine to work from home but my workplace says I have to come into the office. I have panic attacks at the thought of going to an air-conditioned building where the windows don't open and is full of people not wearing masks. 

I'm not customer-facing, my role is digital and I've been WFH since March. All of a sudden it's imperative that I go in or I'll be put on sick leave. I'm not sick, I'm disabled and I have anxiety. I feel like they want me to be a lier or put myself (and colleagues if I get it and give it to them) at risk. 

What can I do?
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JenCo! It looks like you've made the same post twice, so I've deleted the one that you put in the Coffee Lounge, but will leave this one up for people to respond to :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @JenCo

Thanks for telling us about your work situation.  I can imagine this isn't helping your anxiety at all, is that being carefully monitored by your GP?

In the first instance, I'd recommend getting in touch with ACAS to discuss this more.  Their telephone helpline number is 0300 1231100 and is open Monday to Friday between 8am to 6pm.

Another good point of contact is the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS) who support disabled people around workplace discrimination.  For more information on how to get in touch with them visit their Contact Us page. 

Good luck with this and please keep us updated with how you get on.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JenCo

I would first of all put a request in writing for reasonable adjustments under the Equality Act. As you have already been working from home this should be a reasonable request and they should consider it and give a good reason if they cannot put this in place

I would recommend a meeting between yourself and your manager to discuss this.

Are you in a union at all ? and also as suggested ACAS and the Equality Service would be good to seek advice from
  • JenCo
    JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. I'm afraid my work wasn't having any of it and I can't face the idea of challenging them. I'm just finishing up my notice period now. I resigned because they were being very strange about it and threatening disciplinary action. the day after I submitted my letter of resignation Michael Gove goes public to say if you can work from home continue to do so. Really? Cheers... :(

Oh well, would have been hard to work for any organisation that determined to bully people anyway. My only loss is financial but I'm so relieved it's basically paid off! Anyway, thanks again all. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @JenCo I'm so sorry to hear that it went this way  :(  It sounds like your needs were overlooked completely.

How are you feeling now?  Are you looking for another job?  Please let us know if we can help you with anything.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    It's strange isn't it my daughter has been WFH since early March and has been told they might be doing so until July next year and even then it will be 3 days at home 2 days in the office and she's desperate to get back to the office, and yet someone like yourself @JenCo is exactly the opposite and they won't accommodate your needs, I hope you find a new job with a better employer, good luck.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness