THANK YOU- At Home Winter Wonderwheels challenge — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

THANK YOU- At Home Winter Wonderwheels challenge

WestHam06
WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
Hi all, 
          I hope that this finds everyone well. I would please like to thank everyone on Scope who have been so supportive, particularly in the past few months. When I first joined the Scope online community, I felt ashamed of my disability, that I had failed and that it was all my fault. For many years I didn't express the way I was feeling and bottled it up and this led to me not being the person I know that I am. Along with other factors, the Scope online community has helped and encouraged me to continue to open up more and to continue to seek professional help to enable me to do this. The online community, and Scope as a charity, are truly amazing and I would like to thank everyone who I have had the pleasure to meet virtually. I have had so many good conversations here on the community and to just share experiences with other who understand is both inspiring and thought provoking. Thank you. Also, I have to say I enjoy some of the banter,  brilliant :) 
As some of you know, I have had a couple of operations in recent months and my road to recovery will be long, particularly in terms of physio to build up my strength and to loosen what are now very tight muscles :) However, I want to try and raise some money for Scope, who continuously do a fantastic job of supporting people with disabilities and their families, whilst I do this. That is why I am participating in the At Home Winter Wonderwheels challenge to raise money for Scope. Between 5th November and 6th December I will complete 8 miles on my hand bike and hope to raise as much money as I can. 
Thank you for allowing me to be part of this wonderful community and thank you for taking the time to read this.  

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    @WestHam06 well said, wish you well in your recovery as i'm sure every one of us does, and in your wonder challenge, will you have a "just giving" page for donations?
    Best wishes mate !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck for the recovery and for the fund raising

Its great to have you on the community 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I echo what has already been said and thank you for being on the community.

I think you should be really proud of what you have been through and am really pleased to hear that you think our little community had a positive influence on you.

Good on you for raising some money for Scope.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @woodbine
                             Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, I really appreciate them. I will be sure to keep this thread updated with my progress. Yes, I have a just giving page. Thank you
  • WestHam06
    Thank you @janer1967 for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appreciate them. Thank you 
  • WestHam06
    Thank you @66Mustang for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appreciate them and hope that I can raise some money for this fantastic charity :) Thank you. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @WestHam06 - It's great getting to know you a little here in the community, & I admire all that you set out to achieve, especially concerning raising awareness of disabilities in schoolchildren. With that & this challenge to raise money for Scope, I wish you well. For your recovery, I know you'll put in lots of hard work with your physios, & will be the perfect patient. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Awesome! Thanks @WestHam06, your valuable contributions to the community and fundraising efforts are both greatly appreciated :) We're wishing you all the very best with your challenge
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @chiarieds
                            Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appriciate them.  It is great getting to know you as well and I feel very privilege to have virtually met many lovely people here on the community. Thank you as well for remembering my ambition to raise awareness of disabilities in schools, I feel as though I am making a little progress with this but I want to ensure I can give it my all so I want to make sure I have completely recovered :) I will try to be a good patient, I've only been told off once so far which is pretty good for me :) Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi @Tori_Scope
                               Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words and thank you for having me here on the community, it really means a lot and I appreciate it. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @WestHam06 Wowzers go you!!  <3 I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and think it's an amazingly kind and generous thing you are doing for Scope.  Thank you so much! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @Cher_Scope
                                 How are you? Firstly, thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words, I greatly appreciate them. Secondly, thank you for having me here on the community, I feel incredibly privilege to be part of it and I want to support Scope as much as I can.  I will be sure to keep you updated on my progress. The challenge starts next Thursday (5th November) so I am planning to get going then, so I'll let you how the first day goes. Thank you so much :) 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @WestHam06 I'm grand thank you!  Make sure you keep us updated.  It's great to challenge yourself now and again, and to do this for Scope means a lot to us  <3

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • WestHam06
    Hi @Cher_Scope
                                 I'm pleased to hear that you are well. I absolutely agree with what you say about challenging yourself. If I may, please can I share story with you. A few years ago, my sibling was extremely poorly and it was touch and go at one point. Thankfully, they pulled through, however, as a result of this, they were diagnosed with a lifelong condition. This was devastating for both them and for our family. Having a lifelong condition myself, I wanted to show them that they could continue to live a positive and full life in a way in which they wanted too. I took part in a 4 mile wheelchair race for a charity which supports people with the condition my sibling has. When I arrived at the event, I was the only self-propelling wheelchair participant and there was one other wheelchair user who was being pushed. I thought this a little strange but didn't really think much too it. The course was so hilly and steep but I was determined to complete it. My fellow participants completed the challenge in 40 minutes, but it took me 2 hours and 40 minutes. I was determined to do it on my own, no matter how long it took. When I reached the end, they had to put up a make shift finishing line as the real one had been taken down. I was so tired and had no skin left on my thumbs but it was totally worth it just to challenge myself and raise money for a good cause. I look forward to this challenge. Thank you so much for your support and for reading this, thank you. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @WestHam06 What a motivational story, thank you for sharing it.  You sound like a very determined person and I have no doubt that you will conquer this next challenge in the same way <3

I hope your sibling is doing well, I'm sure they are proud of you.

• WestHam06
    Hi @Cher_Scope
                                  Thank you for your kind words. Yes my sibling is doing well thank you, it's never easier to have to adjust your life to a new way of living overnight but they have been so inspiring, I'm very fortunate and blessed to be able to be part of their life. They inspire me immensely. Thank you
  • WestHam06
    Hi all, 
             Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my post, I really do appreciate the support. The challenge starts on Thursday and I am looking forward to it, I will be sure to keep you updated but will also post my Justgiving page so you can see photos as the challenge progresses. Hope this is ok. Thank you for the ongoing support. 
  • WestHam06
    Hi all, 
              Hope you are all well. Today, I completed the first of eight miles on my hand bike for Scope. As it is part of the superhero challenge, I am completing the challenge as a superhero. My superhero name is 'Cagz' and my superpower is fairness. Please, if you would like to, if you were a superhero, what would your name be and what would you superpower be? 
    Please visit my Justgiving page if you would like to see photos and to keep up to date with my progress. www.justgiving.com/fundraising/phoebegibbons 
    Thank you for your ongoing support, it is much appreciated. 
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @WestHam06. Very well done completing the first chunk :) I wish you the best of luck for the next leg of the journey.
  • 66Mustang
    Also, that’s a good superhero power to have. I always wanted to say that my superpower would be justice as well. I’d be a warrior of righteousness :D

Brightness