Advice for my granddaughter please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice for my granddaughter please

Options
gabriel336
gabriel336 Community member Posts: 24 Connected
edited November 2020 in Cerebral palsy
Hi I am so frustrated after a visit to Tesco today. Shopping for My 4 year old Twin granddaughters one of whom has quad CP gmfs level 5 visually impaired none verbal and is on a high fat diet as recommended by her dietician at alder hey. She can only eat the smoothest of puréed food and likes a good variety of different flavoured yogurts and custards which are only available in individual pots.
The cashier confiscated most of their items from the conveyer belt saying that due to the restrictions I could only buy 3 of any item. 3 packets of baby wipes won’t last more than a few days. I do understand that it’s unfair to bulk buy at this time. But 3 tiny pots of custard 3 pots of yogurt which are used for two packed lunches and two for desert after the evening meal seems very unfair. I can’t get to the supermarket every day it’s a far distance from where we live. I can only go once a week. I asked to speak to the manager and explained about my situation with Aniyah having special dietary requirements- and she couldn’t have cared less. Sorry to moan as I know lots of people are struggling xxx

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry, this sounds frustrating @gabriel336. Do you have a friend or family member who could perhaps pick some up for you when they do their shop? Is there another supermarket you could visit, as I'm not sure that every supermarket has implemented the 3 product rule yet (although this might have changed now)? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi @gabriel336 - I know this isn't a short term fix, but it's ever so easy to make your own yogurt, some of which can have different flavours, tho I only ever did a natural yogurt, but as we used quite a lot, it was worthwhile.
    You might also try buying online from a supermarket, but there might not be a slot readily available if Tesco is anything to go by.
    As far as baby wipes go, a small bowl of warm water, a little soap, cotton wool buds, & small towel were all I ever used unless away from home with my children. Perhaps less convenient (altho cheaper), but there might be alternative ways to help both of your little granddaughters.
    I am nonetheless disheartened that the Tesco store manager was not more helpful after your explanation.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My advice would be put the shopping in the car then go in and do it again going to a different check out, Iceland seem to have slots available for home delivery atm.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness