So anyone here not a parent? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

So anyone here not a parent?

Abi_E
Abi_E Community member Posts: 3 Listener
been searching around on the Autism/ Aspergers topic and there seems to be a lot of parents looking for help for their children. Props to you guys who are looking for help!! Was wondering if I could start a thread with people who are diagnosed the struggles and indeed joys of neurodiversity  :)

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Of course you can @Abi_E - it's great to read about people's perspectives, & I indeed really like to read more about the positives with neurodiversity. My son was described as 'next door to Aspergers' about 15 years ago. I appreciate how he sees things differently, & would also welcome your view point. Please start a new thread. :)
  • sarah97
    sarah97 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I’m sarah I have a 29 year old with Di george syndrome would be great if anyone else knows of this condition or any mums whom has a child with this illness and my daughter always tried to treat her as normal as possible she had challenged behaviour but also lives with us full time kind regards sarah x
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    I was diagnosed with Asperger’s and would be interested in joining in a discussion to share experiences with people with similar conditions :)

It seems autism is quite a diverse condition, I see a lot of people with autism are unable to do very much at all, which is sad, I guess I am lucky in a way. I find I am unable to cope in a social situation or alone out and about however I am relatively confident on the internet (which is why I spend so much time in this forum). I am interested to know if anyone else is the same...?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sarah97! It might be worth making a separate post about this so that there's more chance someone else will see it :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • t0nkys
    t0nkys Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    66Mustang said:
    I was diagnosed with Asperger’s and would be interested in joining in a discussion to share experiences with people with similar conditions :)

It seems autism is quite a diverse condition, I see a lot of people with autism are unable to do very much at all, which is sad, I guess I am lucky in a way. I find I am unable to cope in a social situation or alone out and about however I am relatively confident on the internet (which is why I spend so much time in this forum). I am interested to know if anyone else is the same...?
    I was diagnosed with aspergers too, 30 years old now and still struggle to leave the house alone. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    t0nkys said:
    66Mustang said:

I was diagnosed with aspergers too, 30 years old now and still struggle to leave the house alone. 
    Same here. Have you found anything that helps? I can leave the house and get out to the car alone which is round the back of the house but can’t get the courage to drive off without someone with me.
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    It depends on whether you mean a biological parent or someone who, through meeting someone, became a parent overnight.  Soto speak.  I met my late partner when her two boys were 5 and 7 and we set up home together when they were 7 and 9.  I treated ad still do, them as my own and now their children call me Grandad.

Brightness