Panic attacks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Panic attacks

Awesomelorenzo
Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
My panic attacks are always at night and I don't know why. They are mild and severe so my parents don't believe that it's everynight.  They don't know about the mild ones. I take Kalms, but I don't want to be doing that long term.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Have you spoke to your GP about this? Maye a good isea to do that, if you haven't already.

Kalms are herbal based and certainly won't do any harm taking 1 a day of these.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo - I hope you may try this breathing exercise. It's something I used to teach in relaxation classes, & I personally still use each night to help me settle to sleep. Practice it during the day at first so you know how to use it at night time. You don't need a pillow under your knees. Please see: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf
    Hope this helps. :)

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    I’m sorry your going threw this I often suffer with panic attacks I’m on sertraline and quatiapine which helps control them as I have other mental illnesses also . 

Like suggested breathing exercises  Can help  Also , 

talking therapies also could help 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,522 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Senior management (mrs w) had a number of really bad panic attacks when she was going through the change (was hoping for a new sofa but instead had to lock the knife draw! ) GP put her on medication and hasn't had a single attack since so seeing your GP is the way to go.
    On the subject of talking therapies she did have CBT, which she found less than useless, a friend of ours had CBT the therapist told her to wear an elastic band round her wrist and to pull it when she felt stressed (I kid you not) one day the elastic band snapped and she spent hours worrying about it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I first heard about the use of an elastic band on the wrist thirty five years ago, either it works @woodbine or things really haven’t progressed!

some combinations of drugs can cause panic attacks, @Awesomelorenzo you might try organising a review of your medications.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Awesomelorenzo
    Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
    @leeCal
    I'm on nothing other than kalms.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    I would definitely advise speaking to your GP. Kalms is just a herbal tablet that can be bough over the counter. I'm not suggesting you take other medication because we're not qualified to recommend this, only your GP can tell you this.

I hope you find something that helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'd also recommend speaking to your GP, and perhaps accessing some talking therapy or different medication @Awesomelorenzo :) Is that something you'd consider? 

As a side note: I actually find the elastic band trick quite handy! It's not a cure or a fix-all though. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness