Alcohol alternatives; have you ever tried mocktails? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Alcohol alternatives; have you ever tried mocktails?

Options
Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2020 in Coffee lounge
It is Alcohol Awareness Week, which is a chance to get talking about drinking and highlight the issues alcohol can pose.

This year, the focus is on alcohol and mental health, and there is plenty you can do to get involved and raise awareness, find out more about what that could be here.

Forget the cocktails, try a mocktail

In case there are any of you who are like me and thought a mocktail was a drink that makes jokes at your expense, I will explain what they are.

Essentially, a mocktail is a cocktail that doesn't contain any alcohol, they can often mimic the taste of authentic cocktails or taste completely different, but the common denominator is that they contain no alcohol whatsoever.

Due to this, mocktails have become an increasingly popular choice for people who don't drink alcohol, or for those who want to cut back on their intake, because they offer the fulfilling taste of a fancy cocktail while omitting the unhealthy alcoholic content completely.

We thought we would share some interesting mocktail recipes with you. Please let us know if you have tried any of these before and if you have any recipes of your own to share.

Follow the links provided below to find out more information about the ingredients and instructions for each drink.

clear drinking glass with orange liquid on a table

Sidecar mocktail

Serve up a sophisticated alcohol-free sidecar mocktail. It’s made with lapsang souchong tea, lemon juice, marmalade and honey. It only takes 5 minutes to make so it will be in your glass in no time.

New York sour mocktail

For a taste of summer, in the middle of winter, this New York sour mocktail. Flavoured with tea, pomegranate, lemon and maple syrup, is a fantastic option. Although it won't quite beat visiting the Big Apple itself, we admit.

Good morning sunburst

This Orange Juice Mocktail recipe is an easy one to make, with simple ingredients. Serve to children, adults, the entire family. It would brighten up any meal and contrary to what the title might suggest, it's suitable for any time of day.

Popsicle punch

We don't intend for a few of these to have American themes to their names, but it so happens that they do. This yummy sounding mocktail contains:
  • lemon lime fizzy pop
  • lemonade
  • sparkling water
  • sliced strawberries,
  • cubed mangos
  • strawberry and mango popsicles (ice lollies) 

Raspberry lemonade mocktail

Containing just raspberries, caster sugar, lemon zest, sparkling water and sliced lemon, this mocktail is definitely one for a sweet tooth, as are most of these. You can find further details, including a method, by following the link.

Your thoughts and experiences of mocktails?

I've never tried one before, but having seen these recipes I'm definitely tempted to give them a go, perhaps over Christmas.
Have you ever tried a mocktail? Do you think they are a viable alternative to alcoholic drinks?

Please remember that if you are consuming alcohol, you should drink responsibly.
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not a drinker, the odd glass of wine with a meal if we ever go out, never tried mocktails might give them a go at Christmas. B)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Great thread :smiley:

I love a cocktail and mocktails are not an exception.

My favourite mocktail is the Shirley Temple.

1 part sugar syrup
    1/3 part grenadine
    Top up with ginger ale

:yum:
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hhmm sounds interesting @66Mustang, do you make that often? 

I have to say, between this thread and your cocktails one, I'm getting quite a few ideas of what to try.

Likewise @woodbine, I'm not a big drinker either, I generally prefer a cup of tea. But I will certainly be giving mocktails a go

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I like either cocktail or mocktails sometimes not a lot of differences as the small amount of alcohol some cocktail bars put in is minimal and all bulk is fruit juice 
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @Ross_Scope I try not to too often as it has quite a lot of sugar in it and I am trying to cut down!

I quite like the sound of the Sidecar mocktail. The Sidecar is a cocktail I quite like so am intrigued to try the mocktail version.

I will admit to making a cheeky Hot Toddy last night because I have a cold. I wonder if there is a non-alcoholic version of that?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    There will be I'm sure @66Mustang, I found this on Google just now. I've never tried a Hot Toddy before, never heard of it. They do have a lot of sugar, that's very true, it's the only real downside really.

What sort of mocktails do you like @janer1967?

• Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Options
    I had one once with lemonade, crushed mint and lime! It was so good and I want one again ><
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sounds a little bit like a mocktail mojito @Francis_theythem- delicious! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    I know it’s a bit off the topic of mocktails but has anybody ever tried the non-alcoholic spirits? I’m interested to know what they taste like but haven’t been able to find a miniature bottle and am not sure whether to pay for a full bottle.

I’m talking about things like this (other websites and companies are available!)

https://www.masterofmalt.com/spirit/seedlip/seedlip-garden-108-spirit/?srh=1
  • Tori_Scope
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Here's a Pina Colada mocktail recipe I found online:
    • 400ml fresh pineapple juice, chilled
    • 400ml coconut milk drink, chilled
    • 1 lime, juiced
    • 4 tsp icing sugar
    • lime slices, to garnish
    I love Pina Coladas, so I think it sounds delicious!

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    I've only had non-alcoholic beer and non-alcoholic prosecco (no-secco) before I'm afraid @66Mustang

• Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Not tried any non alcoholic spirits before @66Mustang, but I do wonder how good they are?

I've tried beer without alcohol in before, and cider, and randomly an alcohol free tequila sunrise, but that's about it. 

• 66Mustang
    Options
    What’s non alcoholic beer like? My parents say it’s not as nice but they are basing it on their experience from the 1990s and things may well have improved by now?
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I'd say it's not as nice as normal beer, but definitely not bad @66Mustang. I can't remember what brand I had now, but it was one of the big lagers. I think it'd be a good alternative if you wanted a beer-y taste without the alcohol, but I'd probably prefer a different soft drink if I wasn't drinking alcohol personally.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks @Tori_Scope. I might give it a try one day, but that actually makes perfect sense about having an alternative soft drink if you don’t fancy the alcohol. It kind of reminds me of what my Dad says about vegetarian sausages: if you want a sausage have a proper one, if you want to be a vegetarian have something different to a sausage! :D
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I love veggie sausages, so I can't say I agree with that entirely @66Mustang :D 

I know my Dad liked to drink the non-alcoholic beers when he wasn't able to drink for a while as he missed the taste, so I think it depends on the person really. I love fizzy drinks so that works better for me. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Big fan of veggie sausages too :) 

But yeah, with alcohol, if it was beer or cider I would always prefer to just have some regular fizzy pop, rather than have the non alcoholic versions of those drinks. 

I've only really tried non alcoholic beer and cider out of curiosity more than anything.

• 66Mustang
    Options
    A question...

If non-alcoholic beer tasted exactly the same, would you choose it then? Or is the effect of the alcohol part of the enjoyment?

PS I like veggie sausages (and burgers) as well and sometimes choose them even though I’m not a vegetarian. :D
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Good question @66Mustang. Possibly. I do think the effect is definitely a good deal of the enjoyment, but I also like the taste. I'm not sure, it's definitely food for thought. 

Ooh yeah I love a veggie burger as well. 

• Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Very good question @66Mustang, that's a tough one. 

I'd have to say the same as Tori, I think the effect is obviously a big part of it, but with some beverages I drink them more for the taste.

I think it would depend on what the drink was, because there's some I would drink regardless because they're that delicious, and some that I would never drink if they were just a standard non alcoholic drink.

Brightness