Are you left or right handed? Or ambidextrous (can use both hands) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you left or right handed? Or ambidextrous (can use both hands)

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected

Are you left or right handed? Or ambidextrous (can use both hands) 17 votes

Left handed
11%
WestHam06Crumble_Rhubarb 2 votes
Right handed
70%
Ami2301[Deleted User]woodbineAdrian_ScopeOverlyAnxious66MustangCher_AlumniTori_ScopeRoss_Alumni[Deleted User]salarPaulT101 12 votes
Ambidextrous (both)
17%
deb74janer1967LuckeeBlackCat1 3 votes

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Ambidextrous (both)
    Left handed to write but do everything else right handed 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Right handed
    My mum is similar @janer1967, as she had to get used to using her right hand for things.

I'm a boring right-hander. My left-handed handwriting is passable though, as I used to practise when I was at school :D 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Right handed
    I am also a boring right hander except for driving where of course you should use both hands most of the time the left is my dominant hand which is unusual in the UK. This is because when I was a new driver I damaged my right hand and had to drive with it in a cast. I wasn’t going to stop driving so the left became my dominant hand for using the steering wheel! If I’m going to be lazy on a cruise and put one hand on my lap it will be the right hand.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Right handed
    Senior management is left handed i'm right.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
       Left handed as is my daughter and possibly the little granddaughter, I couldn't use my right hand if my life depended on it  :#
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Right handed
    Right handed and legged, when I'm doing my Martial Arts I'm better in left leg stance, right hand punch and right leg kicks, my left legs kicks and left hand punches are a bit weak.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Right handed
    Right handed but left footed
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Left handed
    I use my left hand for all tasks, I think I would have been right handed but due to my CP I have had to learn to do things with my left hand if that makes sense. Thank you
  • jae377
    jae377 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    I was ambidextrous before my spinal cord damage deprived me of 60% of use of my left arm and leg. Still forget even after 30 years and try to do things with left hand such as pick up a drink (we buy lots of glasses) also think I'm having a good day - try to eat with fork in left hand rather than a spoon in right hand- drop loads/stab myself in face. Most hurtful thing was niece had to write a piece for school using the word slovenly, She wrote "My Uncle Jim is slovenly he drops things down his shirt all the time " praised her for excellent use of word but then discovered neither her mother or father (my brother) had explained that it is because I am disabled that this happens.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Right handed
    I'm sorry to hear that @jae377. Were you or your brother and sister-in-law able to have a conversation with your niece about it? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • PaulT101
    PaulT101 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Right handed
    Am right handed.  For some odd reason they asked me this question yesterday on a telephone assessment for mental health issues.
  • LuckeeBlackCat1
    LuckeeBlackCat1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Ambidextrous (both)
    I was born left handed and from age of two I am good at art and little later music. At kindergarten I was singled out to be a child genius artist and child psychologist studied me and my art. At primary school they forced me to be right handed to write and paint.
    There wasn't scientific study yet that left hand is connected to right hemisphere of brain which works for arts and such. Left brain is more scientific and mathematical I was hopeless. Arts and crafts also playing music can be advantageous if you're ambidextrous.
    When I saw my early artwork as teenager, they were so different, avant garde? and abstract with unusual use of colours unlike 4 years olds may do with hand painting! They were my left handed painting! 
    I got all the awards by my teachers displayed and submitted for competitions. I gave up on music when I was ten to concentrate on my art. ha ha early career decision.
    My English as foreign language, math, science in left brain hemisphere weren't well connected? So bad scored to the end of high school. ha ha.  It was ok as I went to art school BA and was hired as designer.
    At age 23 or so I took English conversation and came over to London to further my design.  At MA level, I paid astonishing overseas student fees, three times home student. Had given bad wrong advise by the tutors so evil. ha.
    At age 29 I learned accounts for job which I only took for earn money.
    But hey, if you put your mind and time and effort to it, you can learn and do lots of things! Enjoy!! Pick up new hobby. 

I kept my own accounts and filed Self Assessment while self-employed with Permitted Work.
    I still remember thousands of kanji / Chinese characters to read Japanese books and manga. 
    My design career has been suffering with bad life events and sick and disability though I continue making some and do group exhibitions.
    The retirement age increased recently, (unfair!) I want to be professional designer again.         
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Ambidextrous (both)
    I use my right hand more than my left but still tend to use my left hand quite a lot. (useful when I sprained my right wrist) I think it comes from my grandad and dad both being left handed until they went to school and were forced to use their right hand. My mom and my sister are both right handed though.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Right handed
    Right handed here, but definitely more likely to use my left to open jars, etc.
    My other half, youngest daughter and eldest sister are all lefties though.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Right handed
    I'm right handed for writing. 

But use my left an awful lot due to the OCD, keep the right hand 'clean' to touch food and the left to touch packaging and cupboard doors etc.  Also mostly type with the left hand while eating breakfast or lunch. 

Since Covid I've also gained a new avoidance measure when going for a walk (doesn't work with driving) where I touch my key and interior doorhandles with the right hand, and anything outside (communal doors, gates etc) with the left.  Because my coat goes outside, I have to try and zip it up one handed...  :#

Brightness