25th Anniversary of the Disability Discrimination Act, but what still needs to be improved? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

25th Anniversary of the Disability Discrimination Act, but what still needs to be improved?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Parrot123 said:
    @MrAllen1976 Well said Sir. I totally agree i have a 0 work limit. I feel as if i could do something even part time. But the Drs have written me off i am not even 50 yet Will
    Indeed, 5 years ago they wrote me off as incapable of working, even though I've been doing voluntary work since 1994, and would willingly work a 16 hour week in a Shop or wherever as I've spent the last several years working in almost every Charity shop this side of Sheffield.

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    I believe Dame JaneCampbell had a well trained team of advocates to swing into action each time she became ill, including pals in high medical places, in high legal places, immediate relatives and private doctors who knew the system.   She needed all that, because the N.H.S. had the habit of looking at someone like, say, Professor Steven Hawkins, and declaring "well, someone with limited movement and using a wheelchair has no quality of life, so ought not to be resuscitated or treated".   

The same arrogant writing off, for people whose lives are considered of no value, clearly led to the covid19 patients being deliberately sent to infect care home residents.   Arrogance and refusal to listen to, or treat the patient as a person, (especially for women patients) was  identified by Baroness Cumberledge .  Disabled and old people are the main recipients of this "life not worth living" dismissal.    Think of Captain Tom.   The money he raised for these people was forty years after they would have written him off and let him die rather than permit him to live in his "useless" retirement.   

Apparently entire care homes were told not to revive or treat, nor send anyone to hospital, and the so called 'Liverpool pathway' was a blanket sentence for entire classes of people.   It has been revived.  There is news of one example, a very fit woman  has been told that purely because she is old, she will be denied treatment if she ever needs it..(She was said to be number three, of nine, where number one is an athlete.)  Captain Tom obviously  had at least ten years of useful life in him, when he reached 90.  Other people have lived to be 110, even 120, and not in poor health.

It is clear that various governments, for many decades, have been prejudiced.  Disabled people, Oold people, Carers, have all been ignored and despised, because they don't have a civil service union, or any union to speak for them, they are not holding senior civil service and policy maker posts,  and they couldn't riot in the streets .

(Please, don't blame Boris or Evil Tories, not because anyone is blameless, but only because making it a yelling abuse contest between those with red football scarves and those with blue, merely distracts.  There is N O team of saints.  This has continued for decades, regardless of who held power.   The infamous 'Liverpool pathway' was hardly from a hotbed of died in the wool Tories.)
  • Susanfelix
    Susanfelix Community member Posts: 17 Courageous
    I have read on here that some people have been unable to get a job. I am a disabled woman and I got a job during lockdown! Would anyone like more information?
  • [Deleted User]
    I have read on here that some people have been unable to get a job. I am a disabled woman and I got a job during lockdown! Would anyone like more information?
    Yes please! I want to work in a shop, anything except clothes shops!

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Good to hear @Susanfelix

What job did you get?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Tori_Scope I contacted Support to work before the current lockdown, and they never got back to me from my original contact.

• newborn
    Mr Allen and Parrot, this sounds silly.  You are both people who  can work, want to work, go to work, and yet are  are considered not officially able to work.
    The only possible explanation I could come up with, is if your doctor was trying to protect you from being forced onto an inflexible conveyor belt?  If you volunteer, you are working as and when you are up to it, in tasks you know you can manage.  It could be that other people the doctor has known have been able to work in certain circumstances, but the moment they are officially 'fit for work', they might have been pushed into going flat out to take a job involving working  long hours, with long journeys, and doing work which for one reason or another is too demanding?  
  • Susanfelix
    Ross - Scope I got a job with Sitel on behalf of Public Health England working at home. To anyone who wants a job, have you ever considered working at home? There are lots of work from home jobs out there not just avon. There is Call centre advisor, Customer service advisor and Bookkeeping jobs out there. The best jobsite to go on is indeed!
  • [Deleted User]
    Ross - Scope I got a job with Sitel on behalf of Public Health England working at home. To anyone who wants a job, have you ever considered working at home? There are lots of work from home jobs out there not just avon. There is Call centre advisor, Customer service advisor and Bookkeeping jobs out there. The best jobsite to go on is indeed!
    I would hate working from Home, constant phone calls would literally send me daft!

• Susanfelix
    MrAllen1976 You could become a bookkeeper, you don't even need to be very good at maths because the software does all the calculations for you. Xero and Quick Books are the easiest to use and they teach you how to use it. There is also dozens of courses online where you will get a qualification. Sage50 is the hardest to learn and the most expensive software to purchase.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Thank you for sharing your wisdom @Susanfelix! And congratulations on securing a job :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
    newborn said:
    Mr Allen and Parrot, this sounds silly.  You are both people who  can work, want to work, go to work, and yet are  are considered not officially able to work.
    The only possible explanation I could come up with, is if your doctor was trying to protect you from being forced onto an inflexible conveyor belt?  If you volunteer, you are working as and when you are up to it, in tasks you know you can manage.  It could be that other people the doctor has known have been able to work in certain circumstances, but the moment they are officially 'fit for work', they might have been pushed into going flat out to take a job involving working  long hours, with long journeys, and doing work which for one reason or another is too demanding?  
    If they'd found me "fit to work" I'd have been took off benefits and been forced to work 60 a week just to break even on rent and everything at the Flat.

• newborn
    Thank you for that explanation Mr A.   I suppose it is inevitable for a beaurocrat to want to make a system like a conveyor belt for inanimate objects,  which can never really work well,   because real human people so obstinately fail to be neatly rectangular!
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    I applied for PIP and I told them about my disabilities. The wrote back to me and said "I've decided that you can stand up on your own and move 200 metres". In what universe? I haven't done that in more than 10 years!!!
    @Susanfelix appeal it good luck
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    newborn said:
    newborn said:
    newborn said:
    @ne@newborn I want to work but my Drs say no. I want to work.....sick sitting about. ty Will
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    edited December 2020
    I'm all for disabled people working as long as their treated with respect and properly paid, but please don't forget some of us are not able to work because of the nature of our disability. I, myself can't work because of mental health problems so I don't need the pressure of a government trying to push me into a job instead of receiving benefits, which is a nightmare when they put us through the appalling tests for pip etc!!!!!
    If your able to work then wonderful, but don't forget the rest of us who can't?
    Disabled rights for all of us I say.
  • [Deleted User]
    Thing is, I'd willingly go out and get a job tomorrow if I could, but 5 years ago I was signed off as "sick" by the ATOS Clowns! Even though I've been doing voluntary work for about 25 years.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    I know, but atos or whatever there now called haven't got a clue about disabilities anyway!
  • [Deleted User]
    givingup said:
    I know, but atos or whatever there now called haven't got a clue about disabilities anyway!
    Department of Work and Pensions.

Run by that suited numpty Iain Duncan Smith.

• newborn
    I have spent so long voluntarily working and campaigning and actively assisting with various disabilities, so I would not appreciate any suggestion that I have 'forgotten' the numerous ways disabilities can affect people.  I hope the comment was not directed at me.    Being aware, as I am, of various problems for people with either physical or mental health difficulties, I would suggest that for the sake of the sufferer, it frequently is therapeutic to undertake a  little work, voluntarily, and it could be from home, just as and when possible, and just as the person finds is within their personal capability.

That was the point intended in my previous post, i.e. there is the world of difference between a) being able to do a full time job as considered suitable by an unimaginative benefits system, or b)  doing something such as posting something helpful, or maybe re-using skills to assist those who have none, as and when reasonable, and with or without payment. 

A g.p. will not have a box to tick, indicating "yes, fit to do what the patient is comfortable doing, at times they feel up to it, which will vary from day to day and week to week,  but no, not fit to be ordered to do work they cannot invariably manage, full time"

Brightness