Bunion Surgery And Cp - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bunion Surgery And Cp

Comments

Guest Community member Posts: 1,968 Listener
    i really hope your foot improves and you can get some relief from the pain, it must be awful.
    please keep us posted on how you are doing and as hard as it is try to stay positive.
    lots of love
    evelynxoxo
  • panther
    panther Community member Posts: 251 Courageous
    Hi Karen

Think I might of already lost the plot but with the builders and south bucks council. Tell Karen she might have a wait on her hands as they've got to re do my shower floor as I'm getting a load of water pooling at the opposite end of the shower!! And my ramps haven't even been started, and I'm arguing about a low level threshold being put on the front door as builders didn't quote for that as they had been told the front door wasn't being changed!!
    Without the door being changed and a low level threshold I can't get in!! Yet again have the ot to thank for this little mishap as she said the door didn't need to be changed.

With all that going on pain in my foot and the odd fall without warning is a distraction at least I know what to do about those. With the builders and south bucks council I'm in their hands. Oh and rather than sort out the funding issue for my front door ramp etc the guy from the council has gone on holiday!!!

How's things with you? How's Liam doing? Look forward to that coffee it might restore some sanity!!
    Take care

Helen x
  • VILA
    VILA Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    Just when you thought you were getting somewhere then?!!

OT's - some are good but others need to look at the bigger picture don;t they? need to spend at least 24 hours with their 'patients' before saying what their needs are!

I am ok but have had a bad week, am being tested for breast cancer on 11th September!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, went to weight watchers last night - been 6 weeks since i last went and i had gained..................17
  • panther
    Hi Karen

Sounds like your week has been worse than mine. I forgot to say I spent nearly all of wednesday asleep!! The gp had said increase how often I took the painkillers which I didn't, but Tesday night I took the normal dose as felt I needed it at 9pm then slept till 10am Thursday morning was really tired and fuzzy headed all day went back to bed at 1.30 and slept till 4.30 then still slept till 8am the following day!!!

Sorry to hear that you have to be tested for breast cancer on the 11th I'll keep everything crossed for you hope all goes well as I said your week sounds worse than mine I'm just fed up with everything.
    As for weight watchers with everything else that you've had going on I'd say so what and make that bucketful of coffee a bucketful of hot chocolate with whipped cream!! lol.

Glad Liam is doing so well but you take care and let me know how things go on the 11th.

Take care
    love Helen x
  • panther
    Hi Everyone

Well I thought things were going too well!! Have got to go and get my foot x rayed tomorrow as I have a fluid cyst or a friction cyst on the foot that was operated on. The gp thinks the pin may of moved again and the friction from that is causing the cyst. If the pin has moved then it's back into hospital to have it removed! joy of joys.
    The other foot is really painful keep getting a lot of pain from the other bunion pain keeps shooting through that then making my leg jerk.

Am begining to think I'm falling apart!! Will keep you posted.

Helen
  • VILA
    Hi Helen!

I think you are falling apart - no seriously, hope you get sorted soon. you have been through so much already this is not what you needed.

Hope it went ok with the xray, let me know. of cours, the best thing for pain is chocolate - and lots of it!

karen xx
  • panther
    Hi Karen

I don't know if I'm coming or going I feel totally shattered one way or another. It's getting to that time of year when all the aches and pains with the cp start up so to have problems with my feet is the last thing I needed.

Had the x ray Friday afternoon the person doing the x rays took 3 different x rays and say that the cyst is right over the top of the pin, but she can't tell if it has moved or not as she hasn't seen the orignal x rays taken after surgery at Oxford.
    It will take 7-10 days for my gp to get the results back of the x rays, but at the hospital yesterday they did say it might be that I need to go back to Oxford with these x rays on disc for them to compare them.

Personally I can see me needing to go back in and have it taken out as it is painful and just at a point where my shoes press against it. The gp did say if we don't do something it will only get worse. And I am tending to use my chair more and more even in doors as it gets too painful to walk.

I feel like I'm just going through the motions of normal day to day life at the moment for the sake of everyone else and sleeping the rest of the time as overall all the pain from everything is making more tired not to mention the incresed painkillers adding to the affect!!

My mum said she wonders if they will do the other foot if I have to go in and have the pin out, but I don't really know what having a pin removed will involve and what I will be like when I get home to know if I could cope with the other foot being operated on at the same time.

Never mind it gives me something else to think about other than my on going building work. How is Karen getting on have they started yet? Foot hurts too much to wander round and see how she is doing!!

What about you and all the family are you doing ok or are you joining the rest of us in feeling old and falling apart? lol!!
    Chocolate sounds a good solution but I've got toothache too!! Off to the dentist on Monday to have a tooth out!! Maybe a cup of tea a good book and bed is my best option!!

Take care will keep you posted love Helen xxx
  • panther
    Hi Everyone

Well the x ray results are back today and as expect one of the screws in my foot has moved. It's moved considerably apparently so I guess it going to mean going back into hospital for it to be taken out.
    The gp has notified the consultant of the outcome of the x rays so now all I can do is wait to hear from them.

I'd figured out that much for myself today as I've noticed in the last few days if I'm standing still I'm tending to lean on the part of my foot where this lump is.

Oh happy days I think the phrase here we go again springs to mind.

Take care all will keep you posted

Helen
  • VILA
    well, bad news then really, but at least you know now.

hope they don't keep you waiting too long. let me know when you in and i come and annoy you! will bring chocolates i promise oh, and a takeaway starbucks!

karen x

• panther
    Hi Karen

I will let you know when I'm going in hope it won't be long as it does hurt and I'm using my wheelchair more and more. The sooner I get my electric wheels the better hopefully my fundraising thing will pull in some much needed funds. Don't know if you buy the Bucks Free Press but I think they are supposed to be putting something in about it this week (my claim to fame!!).

Don't know how long it will take to sort my foot out apparently I'm on the waiting list to see the consultant and will be sloted in when he has space but the secretary couldn't tell me when that would be.
    I also don't know how they remove screws and how I will be when sent home again. It's all good fun i guess have to tell myself that or I'll cry!!

How are things with you? Hope all is well take care

Helen xxx
  • panther
    Hi Karen

How are you? Hope all is well. Just a quick post to let you know that I've got an appointment to go to Oxford on the 24th November to see the consultant so that he can see my foot for himself and take his own x rays etc.
    Can't come soon enough for me I haven't been out all week then walked/wheeled to sainsburys this morning by the time I got home I could barely walk across the room and had to hit the painkillers and lie down for a bit.
    Hope whatever he decides on the 24th he won't take long to decide when to do it but I am scared of what he might say.
    Will keep you posted on how it goes. Take care
    Ps Has Karen finally got her builders back could hear some work being done today sounded like it could of been there. Hope it is for her sake.
    Take care

Helen xx
  • VILA
    Hello You!

I am fine thanks, shattered but there we go - almost xmas!

Well done on getting your appointment through, hope that he will sort you out quickly, they normally work a bit faster over there than they do here at WGH!

Not sure what is happening with Karen, not spoken to her since she texted me to tell me that her holiday went well and she managed to avoid any of the party being admitted to hsopital - i think that is a first for her family!!!! Am sure she will be in contact soon!

Good luck on 24th, will be thinking of you.

Karen x

• panther
    Hi Karen

Don't mention that xmas word I've told people they might not get present depending on my foot!!
    Need to get next weekends fundraising thing and then the 24th out the way before I can starting thinking xmas!!

Hope they don't take too long to decide what to do about foot and do it as some days I can barely walk for the pain it's a case of smiling through gritted teeth at the moment!! Will keep you posted.
    Take care

Helen xx
  • VILA
    Hi Helen.

Spoke to Karen and yes it is her with the builders!!! All moving nicely now for her.

She says she will try and call round this week to see you.

Look after yourself. keep smiling

karenx
  • panther
    Hi Karen

Glad to hear that Karen finally has her builders there. The friends that are organising this fundraising thing on Saturday live in 3 doors down from me and back on to Karens and I saw them yesterday and they said that it looked like things were finallay happening at Karens.

Am still smiling just although it's often through gritted teeth at the moment!!
    Take care

Helen x
  • VILA
    keep gritting the teeth then, will be all over soon.

k x
  • panther
    Hi Everyone

Well been back to the hospital and no wonder it hurts the toe is still broken!!! I will explain a bit more so it makes sense.

Apparently when they did the surgery the plan was to break my big toe and put screws in place so that my big toe could not move at all.
    The bone would of then healed over the screws keeping the screws in place.

For reasons that they are not sure of the broken bone started to heal but didn't heal completely and because the bone was still soft the screw was able to move. This has meant that when the screw moved there was nothing supporting the broken part of my toe so in affect I have been walking around on a broken toe for the last few months hence the pain!!

They've said I need to go in urgently the consultant would like it to be within the next 2 weeks and they will put it right and possibly then put me in plaster to hopefully allow it to heal properly this time. But admissions are saying that there is no space and I may have to wait until after Christmas.

Will keep you posted.

Helen

• panther
    Hi

Just wondered if any one has any advice. I saw my gp today and told her what happened on Friday (see post before this one) and she said it's not down to me to keep ringing admissions it's for the consultant or the consultants secretary to sort out.

She said even as my gp she wouldn't hold any weight in getting me in quicker. So came home and rang consultants secretary and told her what had happened on Friday and that the consultant wants me in within two weeks and admissions are saying no chance. I asked her if it was down to me to keep ringing admissions and should it not be coming from the consultant.
    Her reply was that the consultant doesn't have any weight with admissions either and that it's admissions the hospital is answerable too and if they have said there's no chance this side of Christmas it doesn't matter who asks for the slot it won't change things. I just have to hope for a cancellation but bear in mind that all the other consultants urgent cases are also waiting for cancellations.

My mum can't believe they sent me home with a broken toe and a loose screw nearly sticking through my foot and just said try not to walk too much. She said are you supposed to put up with that until after Christmas I've said it looks that way.

Just wondered if any one had any advice on what I can do if anything. Thanks this is really starting to get me down now I've had a broken toe since April and they've only just found out!!!

Helen
  • VILA
    Hello!

Well what a state you are in................again!

Basically, yes Admissions are a law unto themselves, the consultant can request a 2 week slot but if there aren;t any then that is that (unless life threatening of course).

GP can write to admissions on your behalf and put them in the picture (all they get is your name on a piece of paper and what you coming in for), so that MAY jump you up the list a bit.

Basically all you can do i think is keep pestering the Admissions office until they finally give in and give you a date! You can write to the complaints dept at the hospital and see if they can get you in earlier, explaining of course that you have a screw sticking out of your foot!

Good luck, keep me posted!

karen x
  • VILA
    I am hoping so much that yo get in very soon, i will come and see you i promise.

I think if your GP is not happy then she needs to write to the Consultant and put her view across, you could take it further of course - straight to the Chief Exec, especially as this has happened before he/she would be very interested and would bend over backwards to get you in.

If i can help, let me know

karen xxx

Brightness